Subject: [MBONED] IETF 91 MBONED WG Minutes

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:07:48 -0800

Please review and respond. Thanks!

-----

MBONED Minutes

IETF 91

Nov 11, 2014

AMT draft status:

Joel Ja- AMT is close, only nonce discuss to review proposed text

BCP draft preso (Percy Terapore):

Chairs - Will work with authors to coordinate outreach to operators for
feedback

Joel Jaglie- Change ‘AD’ to ‘Admin Domain’ if you want this to move faster

Stig Venaas - send to NOGs

Mike McBride - Have you presented at nanog? But we work with operators and
this is really good .

Percy Terapore - will change AD to admin domain

Mcast MRAC:

Chair - Any feedback from security?

Michael Abrahamsen - mcast for 10 years. Lots of protocols to mcast
running. here’s list of more protocols to operational reqs. It’s already
operationally hard. Even LDP req for MPLS is a bit much. Setting up PIM and
MSDP etc is already complex. There a tendency to invent new stuff which is
operationally hard

Bill Attwod - the original proposal suggested changes to IGMP which was too
much to ask.

Stig Venaas - I don’t understand all of the security protocols 100%. This
seems to make sense from a protocol point of view. Is this the right way to
solve this? This is also in PIM. This does have benefits compared to the
early proposals. Do we need to protect content, restrict access or restrict
distribution

Bill Attwood - If ACL is enough then this isn’t needed

Stig Venaas - shared medium could distribute content to non-authenticated
users

Bill this doesn’t protect that case

 - there’s a whole group missing from your diagram, switches

Bill Attwood - I’m aware of this issue, but haven’t yet explored.

Michael Abrahamsen - when you invent something new you need some spoofing
protection - back to the shared medium issue. Some people provision ACLs
for mcast distribution

Bill Attwood  - for IPTV, ACLs are implemented based on purchased agreements

Toerless Eckert - love to hear from operators that this solution solves
problems they have

BIER update

Michael Abrahamsen - Is this tied to SPRING

Ice Wjiands- There are some similarities, but there are no SPRING procures
we depend on for SPRING

Michael Abrahamsen - Its more of an operational question, its not much
different

Dino Farinacci - I think what your saying is Spring has a new paradigm for
both Uni and Multi, are you asking the BIER people to just use SPRING?

Michael Abrahamsen - When you’re telling people about it, it could benefit
to tell them about it at the same time.

Ice Wjiands - Spring is source routing which is effectively impossible for
multicast.