Subject: [MBONED] description of RFC8114 implementation using modified mB4 code

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 03:16:49 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

This is what I talked about in the mbone session, so this is just a quick 
writeup of our proof of concept work.

We needed to support IPv4-only multicast receivers on our IPv6 only access 
network. So we looked into prototyping an implementation of 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8114 .

Now, I can't find the github for the original mB4.c for some reason, but 
my modified file is here (based on the original code work done during 
RFC8114 development):

http://swm.pp.se/terastream/mB4.c.mikabr-180903-4

We did not implement any PIM between AFTR and core router, instead this is 
just static 1:1 mapping.

So data plane is that the IPv4 multicast is sent to the AFTR which 
encapsulates it into IPv6 with a 1:1 mapping between IPv4 and IPv6 
addresses.

The mB4 running on the home router does IGMPv2 (*,G) <-> MLDv2 (S,G) 
interop, does MLDv2 join towards the core based on the IGMPv2 join on LAN, 
which then means it'll start to receive the IPv4-in-IPv6 packets, and then 
it decapsulates these packets and sends it out on the LAN.

We're currently working on cleaning up the implementation (major re-write 
or just re-implementation from scratch) and will publish it once that is 
done.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 15:04:27 +0000

Hi Mikael,

Thank you for reporting this. 

I wonder whether you are re-using https://sourceforge.net/projects/mb4/ or another source? 

Cheers,
Med

> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : MBONED [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Mikael Abrahamsson
> Envoyé : jeudi 8 novembre 2018 03:17
> À : [email-masked]
> Objet : [MBONED] description of RFC8114 implementation using modified mB4
> code
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> MBONED mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 18:11:39 +0100 (CET)

> I wonder whether you are re-using https://sourceforge.net/projects/mb4/ or another source?

Right, that's why I didn't find it. I was looking for it on github and not 
on sourceforge. Thanks for pointing that out.

That is indeed the codebase we started from and we modified for our PoC.

You'll see if you diff it that the changes aren't that huge, we mostly 
fixed a few bugs and changed the packet generation to do what we needed 
for MLDv2 and S,G joins.