Subject: Re: [MBONED] MBONED WG Call For Adoption: draft-jholland-mboned-driad-amt-discovery

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 09:49:28 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018, Greg Shepherd wrote:

> WG,
>
> Hands in the room indicated strong support for this draft. Time to make the
> call in the list.
>
> Please read and review:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jholland-mboned-driad-amt-discovery/
>
> ...and respond TO THIS THREAD w/w/o you support.

I have read this draft. It seems to be in good shape, and I support its 
adoption. I am not an AMT expert, but it seems to solve a real problem.

What I am missing currently from the draft is how to handle long-lived S,G 
joins in relationship with these DNS lookups. If the DNS information has 
3600 seconds TTL, what happens when this DNS information expires. Is the 
AMT gateway supposed to ask again, what happens if it now receives other 
information than it received before? Is it supposed to re-evaluate, cease 
communication with the current set of AMT relays, and re-establish 
communication with the new ones listed in that preferred order? Or just 
keep going as long as the current AMT session seems fine?

The words "cache", "lifetime" etc doesn't exist in the draft. I'd like 
some text on this, even if there is no need to handle it. Then it should 
explicitly say that lookups are only done at S,G join time or whatever 
other conditions that might happen within the AMT state machine for error 
handling/handshakes etc.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]