Subject: [MBONED] WGLCs for draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems and draft-ietf-mboned-driad-amt-discovery

From: Leonard Giuliano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 07:43:09 -0700

WGLCs have completed for both draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems and 
draft-ietf-mboned-driad-amt-discovery, and to date, we've only received 
support on the list for advancing these docs from two and five 
non-authors, respectively.  This is not enough to determine consensus for 
advancing either doc.

That said, both docs have enjoyed tremendous support from folks in the 
meetings/list in the past and there has been no particularly controversies 
noted in either doc.  As such, we've decided to extend the WGLC for the 
next 10 days give a little extra time to hear from folks.

Please reply to this if you do/do not support advancing 
either/both/neither doc by Jun 13.  And further comments on either doc 
would be welcome.

-Chairs

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 16:44:07 -0400

As an author on one of these documents:

Dear WG,

You expressed interest in these documents, and we've had (IMO) some
good discussions on them at meetings
(draft-perkins-intarea-multicast-ieee802 merged into
draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problem) -- I think that the document
are an easy read, and serve a useful purpose.

Please take some time to read, and post comments to the list -- as
someone who often has to deal with WiFi issues caused from excessive
broadcast / multicast, I'd really appreciate this topic getting more
review and wider attention.

W

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 10:43 AM Leonard Giuliano
<lenny=[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> MBONED mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: "Holland, Jake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 22:02:21 +0000

I support advancing ieee802-mcast-problems, in case I haven't
expressed that (I can't find it in my sent emails, so I'm embarrassed
to notice that maybe I didn't, after the last round incorporating my
review comments.)

I've volunteered as shepherd for this doc, and now that I've skimmed
through some of the resources[1-3] about that, it seems I should be
doing the write-up now.

Cheers,
Jake

[1] file:///Users/jholland/Downloads/rtgwg_train_8.pdf
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4858
[3] https://www6.ietf.org/iesg/statement/document-shepherds.html

On 2019-06-04, 13:45, "Warren Kumari" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    Dear WG,

    
    W

---

From: William Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:43:15 -0400

I support advancing draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems
and draft-ietf-mboned-driad-amt-discovery.

I found draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems useful; I had a suggestion
for clarity:
Sec 3.2.4:
>> "This means that routers very often receive packets destined for IP
addresses regardless of whether they are in use."
The sentence was a bit confusing on first read; mainly what "they" refers
to. If my understanding is correct, "they" refers to the addresses the
packets are destined for?

DRIAD as described in draft-ietf-mboned-driad-amt-discovery definitely
seems very useful to help drive adoption of AMT; I have no suggestions here.

Regards,
William

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 6:02 PM Holland, Jake <[email-masked]> wrote:

>     > WGLCs have completed for both
> draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems and

-- 
William Zhang
TJHSST '18 | UVA SEAS '22
https://wzhang.me

---

From: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:17:24 +0000

Support progressing the two documents.

Thanks.
Jeffrey

Juniper Internal

-----Original Message-----
From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 4:44 PM
To: Leonard Giuliano <lenny=[email-masked]>
Cc: MBONED WG <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [MBONED] WGLCs for draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems and draft-ietf-mboned-driad-amt-discovery

Dear WG,

You expressed interest in these documents, and we've had (IMO) some good discussions on them at meetings
(draft-perkins-intarea-multicast-ieee802 merged into
draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problem) -- I think that the document are an easy read, and serve a useful purpose.

Please take some time to read, and post comments to the list -- as someone who often has to deal with WiFi issues caused from excessive broadcast / multicast, I'd really appreciate this topic getting more review and wider attention.

W

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 10:43 AM Leonard Giuliano <lenny=[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> WGLCs have completed for both draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems 
> and draft-ietf-mboned-driad-amt-discovery, and to date, we've only 
> received support on the list for advancing these docs from two and 
> five non-authors, respectively.  This is not enough to determine 
> consensus for advancing either doc.
>
> meetings/list in the past and there has been no particularly 
> controversies noted in either doc.  As such, we've decided to extend 
> the WGLC for the next 10 days give a little extra time to hear from folks.
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mail
> man_listinfo_mboned&d=DwIBaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcW
> zoCI&r=f7wsLGcfzAWDNS6XNTBZwj_OLAOsZZqdrR2IDAzeZqE&m=8CcXaPR_rbTgPhpvs
> mYnvAgD2_b_SKYEf2I2AB0f_uY&s=Vif6nKYwxZ0VnvjEFt-tIuXU6YC5LNWoJSdmfkHQc
> w0&e=

--
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Leonard Giuliano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:30:14 -0700

There appears to be consensus from the WG to advance 
draft-ietf-mboned-driad-amt-discovery.  Pending the resolution of the 
latest issues that Bill Atwood brought up this week, we will submit this 
doc to IESG (Bill- please confirm if Jake’s latest changes resolve your 
concerns).

As for draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems, while we would have 
preferred to see a little more feedback in WGLC, there appears to be 
consensus to advance this doc as well, particularly in light of the 
extensive feedback this topic/doc has received the last few years.  
Authors- please address the concerns that Bill Atwood brought up on this 
doc as well this week, and pending resolution of those issues, we will 
submit to IESG.

-Chairs

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019, Leonard Giuliano wrote:

| 
| WGLCs have completed for both draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems and
| draft-ietf-mboned-driad-amt-discovery, and to date, we've only received
| support on the list for advancing these docs from two and five non-authors,
| respectively.  This is not enough to determine consensus for advancing either
| doc.
| 
| That said, both docs have enjoyed tremendous support from folks in the
| meetings/list in the past and there has been no particularly controversies
| noted in either doc.  As such, we've decided to extend the WGLC for the next
| 10 days give a little extra time to hear from folks.
| 
| Please reply to this if you do/do not support advancing either/both/neither
| doc by Jun 13.  And further comments on either doc would be welcome.
| 
| 
| -Chairs
|