Subject: [MBONED] ALTA draft posted

From: Kyle Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 11:37:51 -0400

I've posted a new WIP draft for Asymmetric Loss-Tolerant Authentication to
the data tracker:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-krose-mboned-alta/

The GitHub repo is here:

https://github.com/squarooticus/alta

The abstract explains the basic idea:

q( This document introduces Asymmetric Loss-Tolerant Authentication (ALTA),
which employs an acyclic graph of message authentication codes (MACs)
transmitted alongside data payloads, with redundancy to enable
authentication of all received payloads in the presence of certain patterns
of loss, along with regularly paced digital signatures. ALTA requires no
time synchronization and enables authentication of payloads as soon as
sufficient authentication material has been received. )

It's unclear to me where this draft belongs, but I figured I'd start with
the SMEs for the target use-case, which is multicast streaming delivery,
and possibly go back to secdispatch if there's interest in pursuing
standardization of this protocol but a determination that it is
out-of-scope for mboned.

I would be happy to give a 10 minute overview in Montreal, if there's time.

Thanks,
Kyle