Subject: [MBONED] Fwd: [homenet] https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems-09.txt

From: Christophe Lohr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 10:11:28 +0200

Forwarded from the Homenet list at the request of the AD Eric Vyncke.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [homenet]
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems-09.txt
Date: 	Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:27:40 +0200
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

Hi,
  I have a couple of naive questions

* Section 3.1.1 «Since typically there are no ACKs for multicast packets...»

Does anyone remember why WiFi had chosen not to acknowledge 
multicast/broadcast packets?
This choice was certainly made on the basis of assumptions. Which ones?
Are these assumptions still valid?

* Section 3.1.4 «Multicast traffic is delayed in a wireless network if
any of the STAs in that network are power savers.  All STAs associated
to the AP have to be awake at a known time to receive multicast traffic.»

Why? Why does everyone have to be awake at the same time? APs have
buffers, isn't?  So, why not delivering immediately multicast packets to
awaked STAs (which have to acknowledge them), and keep packets in
buffers for sleeping STAs?

I would be surprised if such a naive process have not been studied when
WiFi was designed. Does anyone remember why this was not selected?

* Is there any standard or well-known test to measure the quality of an
AP regarding its ability to manage multicast traffic?

* The paper is about multicast on wireless links, but what's about
PowerLine Adapters?

Best regards,
Christophe

_______________________________________________
homenet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet