Subject: [MBONED] Protocol Action: 'Deprecating ASM for Interdomain Multicast' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-mboned-deprecate-interdomain-asm-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 10:43:19 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Deprecating ASM for Interdomain Multicast'
  (draft-ietf-mboned-deprecate-interdomain-asm-07.txt) as Best Current
  Practice

This document is the product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Ignas Bagdonas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mboned-deprecate-interdomain-asm/

Technical Summary

   This document recommends deprecation of the use of Any-Source
   Multicast (ASM) for interdomain multicast.  It recommends the use of
   Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) for interdomain multicast
   applications and that hosts and routers in these deployments fully
   support SSM.  The recommendations in this document do not preclude
   the continued use of ASM within a single organisation or domain and
   are especially easy to adopt in existing intradomain ASM/PIM-SM
   deployments.

Working Group Summary

There was some initial concern from a few individuals that ASM was still
useful in intradomain deployments.  The authors resolved these concerns by
making it clear throughout the doc that this recommendation to deprecate
ASM applies only to interdomain deployments and makes no recommendations
for intradomain multicast deployments.  Other than this, no other
controversies with this document were noted.

Document Quality

Document is well written, defining a clear problem statement and
supporting scenarios and examples for the core recommendations.
Assumptions regarding the future-state of ASM protocols are appropriately
highlighted, and the impact on the document recommendations are addressed.

Personnel

  Document shepherd: Colin Doyle
  RAD: Warren Kumari