Subject: [MBONED] MBONED110 mins

From: Leonard Giuliano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 15:42:19 -0700

Draft mtg mins below.  PLease take a look and let us know if you see 
anything that should be added/modified (or just edit the etherpad).  In 
particular, if anyone has notes from Jake and Lorenzo's sections, that 
would be great.

IETF 110 (Online)
MBONED Agenda
Thurs, Mar 11, 2021
12:00-14:00 UTC
Thurs Session II, Room 5
Status of WG items
Chairs, 5 min

     Agenda un-bashed
     multicast-yang-model:
         Sandy: Waiting on Jakes review, Jake apologized and will send by 
next week

draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems
Mike McBride, 5 min
- should be done after addressing the last DISCUSS and few comments.

draft-ietf-mboned-multicast-telemetry
Mike McBride, 10 min
- Jake: do you need recommendations about scalability for the apps 
handling multicast telemetry data?
Mike: maybe, good comment. well look into adding something.

EUMETSATs Use of Multicast over the MBONE
Oriol Espanyol, 30 min

     Lenny: whats the encryption/authentication like?
     Oriol: usb key to unlock some restricted data, done after file is 
fully received.
     Tim: Its the end site or the NRENs that wont multicast?
     Oriol: Typically the NRENs, but GEANT is doing it well. We use GRE to 
bridge, with some pain for setting up.
     Jake: how many users?
     Oriol: 4.5k for the satellite thing started 20 years ago. Few users 
for the internet paths/terrestrial links, but we think in the future it 
will only be available this way.
     Lenny: what about unicast/CDNs? How much do you need this to be 
multicast?
     Oriol: data is very dynamic, the CDN data replication model does not 
make as much sense, because its only useful during a certain window. cost 
of multicast link is much lower than alternatives. Internal evaluations of 
cost is that multicast is fixed cost regardless of user count, but 
satellite capacity is very expensive, so were moving to the similar 
concept with a fixed cost regardless of number of users. The multicast 
approach is an order of magnitude less.

Multicast to the Browser: draft-ietf-mboned-ambi, draft-ietf-mboned-cbacc, 
draft-ietf-mboned-dorms, draft-ietf-mboned-mnat
Jake Holland, 30 min

Use of Multicast at Meetecho
Lorenzo Miniero, 30 min