Subject: [MBONED] mboned: draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 21:16:47 +0100

Dear Mboned WG

I would like to invite WG members to review, and comment to [email-masked]
subject draft. It is very much about aspects of using BIER that fall
into the scope of what i think should be very much of interest to Mboned 
member.

Here is a a motivational summary of the purpose of this document:

  Adaptive bitrate streaming (such as today DASH) for live-streaming or short-tail can
  use Multicast to improve network efficiency by eliminating duplicate transmission
  of the same data segments to multiple users requiring the same bitrate. This
  was shown and used in products as early as 200x (e.g.: Digital Fountain). 
  These solutions never proliferated because of the intrinsic signaling problems
  of IP Multicast causing severe performance/scale/operational issues.
  
  These IP Multicast limitations can today be overcome with the novel BIER
  multicast mechanism. This document describes an application solution layer
  architecture in which BIER is used as the multicast mechanism for HTTP
  adaptive bitrate streaming including the use of BIER-TE for including
  path steering optimizations into the solution. This document is solely
  informational and does not intend to establish any standards for the IETF.
  
Thank you so much
    Toerless (for the authors)