Subject: [mdnsext] BoF postponement

From: Kerry Lynn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 16:54:21 -0500

Greetings,

The main organizers of the first BoF met with the responsible AD (Ralph
Droms)
yesterday to discuss our progress toward WG formation.  Given the remaining
amount of work it will take to make WG formation a "no brainer" from the
IESG's
perspective, it was felt prudent to delay the final BoF until Berlin.  This
is far
better than scheduling it for Orlando and then canceling it at the last
minute if
we don't make sufficient progress in the next few weeks.

Here's my short list of the remaining work:
- Converge on a set of use cases and derived requirements in the form of the
  Requirements draft (yours truly, editor).  This includes:
  * closer coordination with homenet and other WGs  to ensure we're
adequately
    capturing their requirements
  * more discussion on the security issues raised by extending DNS-SD/mDNS
    (i.e. a fairly complete "Security Considerations" section in the draft)
  * more discussion and representative examples of the "two namespaces"
    issue discussed on the list
- Discussion of Stuart's
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-mdnsext-hybrid
  or other proposals
- Convergence on the charter

We plan to hold a Bar BoF in Orlando for interested parties.  Date and time
will
be announced on the mailing list when the agenda comes out, then a place
will
be determined and announced in Orlando on 10 March.

We trust the work on the list will continue unabated as we refine the
requirements
and move toward a solution.  Special thanks to Tim Chown for pulling
together
the BoF Request earlier in the week and for his understanding that we'll
use it
all next time.

Regards, Kerry Lynn