Subject: [mdnsext] Enhanced DNS Message Compression - Optimizing mDNS/DNS-SD for the Use in 6LoWPANs

From: Ronny Klauck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 15:46:21 +0200

With the integration of smart objects into the
Internet with the help of tiny IP stacks, a direct connection
between these objects and ordinary computational devices can be
realized at the IP layer. As IP alone cannot ensure an automatic
integration at the higher layers, an homogeneous access via
services (e.g., discovery, self-configuration) for the Internet of
Things vision should be provided for all connected device types.
Multicast DNS and DNS Service Discovery are established
and widely used standards in current IP-based networks to
enable the discovery of devices and services at the application
layer with DNS messages. To comply with the current Internet
infrastructure, the lightweight implementation uBonjour makes
mDNS and DNS-SD available on smart objects. As DNS does not
meet the requirements of low data rate smart object networks,
we propose to extend DNS with enhanced message compression
mechanisms to effectively reduce the number of exchanged IP
packets in 6LoWPANs while ensuring backward compatibility.

Keywords-Internet of Things, mDNS/DNS-SD, Contiki

The article can be downloaded from here:
https://www-rnks.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/content/unrestricted/staff/mk/Publications/PerCom_2013-PerSeNS-Klauck_Kirsche.pdf

Best regards,
-- 
Dipl.-Inf. Ronny Klauck
Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus
Computer Networks Group
http://www-rnks.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~rklauck