Subject: [ietf-types] Update of application/xenc+xml media type registration
From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Joseph Reagle <[email-masked]>, Frederick Hirsch <[email-masked]>, Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:26:12 +0100
List-Id: "Media \(MIME\) type review" <ietf-types.ietf.org>

Dear IANA,

the W3C is the change controller for the XML Encryption specification, which is the published specification for the application/xenc+xml media type.

The W3C XML Security Working Group has published a Last Call Working Draft for a version 1.1 of XML Encryption, including an updated media type registration template:

	http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-xmlenc-core1-20101130/
	http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-xmlenc-core1-20101130/#sec-MediaType-Registration

Please update the application/xenc+xml media type registration accordingly.

A text version of the updated media type registration template is included for your convenience below the .signature of this note.

Thanks,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <[email-masked]>

8.2 application/xenc+xml Registration

   This is a media type registration as defined in Multipurpose Internet
   Mail Extensions (MIME) Part Four: Registration Procedures
   [[350]MIME-REG]

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: xenc+xml

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: charset

     The allowable and recommended values for, and interpretation of the
     charset parameter are identical to those given for 'application/xml'
     in section 3.2 of RFC 3023 [[351]XML-MT].

   Encoding considerations:

     The encoding considerations are identical to those given for
     'application/xml' in section 3.2 of RFC 3023 [[352]XML-MT].

   Security considerations:

     See the [[353]XMLENC-CORE1] [354]Security Considerations section.

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: [[355]XMLENC-CORE1]

   Applications which use this media type:

     XML Encryption is device-, platform-, and vendor-neutral and is
     supported by a range of Web applications.

   Additional Information:

     Magic number(s): none

     Although no byte sequences can be counted on to consistently
     identify XML Encryption documents, they will be XML documents in
     which the root element's QName's LocalPart is 'EncryptedData' or
     'EncryptedKey' with an associated namespace name of
     '[356]http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#'. The application/xenc+xml
     type name must only be used for data objects in which the root
     element is from the XML Encryption namespace. XML documents which
     contain these element types in places other than the root element
     can be described using facilities such as [[357]XMLSCHEMA-1],
     [[358]XMLSCHEMA-2].

     File extension(s): .xml

     Macintosh File Type Code(s): "TEXT"

   Person & email address to contact for further information:

     World Wide Web Consortium <web-human at w3.org>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Author/Change controller:

   The XML Encryption specification is a work product of the World Wide
   Web Consortium (W3C) which has change control over the specification.

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <[email-masked]>
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Organization: World Wide Web Consortium
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:41:30 -0500
Cc: [email-masked], public-tt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of ttml+xml

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 19:16 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >[[
> >MIME media type name:
> 
> This uses an outdated template, not the one from RFC 4288. Some of the
> field names have changed, and some fields have been split into separate
> fields.

I used the template at
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-10

> >Published specification:
> >        
> >        This media type registration is extracted from Appendix C Media
> >        Type Registration of the Timed Text Markup Language (TTML) 1.0
> >        specification.
> 
> This should just reference the format specification.

I removed the reference to the subsection.

Here is the updated version:

Type name:
        
        application
        
Subtype name:
        
        ttml+xml
        
Required parameters:
        
        None.
        
Optional parameters:
charset
        
        Same as application/xml media type, as specified in [XML Media
        Types] or its successors.
        
profile
        
        The document profile of a TTML document may be specified using
        an optional profile parameter, which, if specified, the value of
        which must adhere to the syntax and semantics of ttp:profile
        parameter defined by Section 6.2.8 ttp:profile of the published
        specification.
        
Encoding considerations:
        
        Same for application/xml. See [XML Media], Section 3.2.
        
Security considerations:
        
        As with other XML types and as noted in [XML Media] Section 10,
        repeated expansion of maliciously constructed XML entities can
        be used to consume large amounts of memory, which may cause XML
        processors in constrained environments to fail.
        
        In addition, because of the extensibility features for TTML and
        of XML in general, it is possible that "application/ttml+xml"
        may describe content that has security implications beyond those
        described here. However, if the processor follows only the
        normative semantics of the published specification, this content
        will be outside TTML namespaces and may be ignored. Only in the
        case where the processor recognizes and processes the additional
        content, or where further processing of that content is
        dispatched to other processors, would security issues
        potentially arise. And in that case, they would fall outside the
        domain of this registration document.
        
Interoperability considerations:
        
        The published specification describes processing semantics that
        dictate behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among
        other things, unrecognized elements and attributes, both in TTML
        namespaces and in other namespaces.
        
        Because TTML is extensible, conformant "application/ttml+xml"
        processors must expect that content received is well-formed XML,
        but it cannot be guaranteed that the content is valid to a
        particular DTD or Schema or that the processor will recognize
        all of the elements and attributes in the document.
        
Published specification:
        Timed Text Markup Language (TTML) 1.0.
        
Applications that use this media type:
        
        TTML is used in the television industry for the purpose of
        authoring, transcoding and exchanging timed text information and
        for delivering captions for television material repurposed for
        the internet.
        
        There is partial and full support of TTML in components used by
        several Web browsers plugins, and in a number of caption
        authoring tools.
        
Additional information:
Magic number(s):
File extension(s):
        
        .ttml
        
Macintosh file type code(s):
        
        "TTML"
        
Fragment identifiers:
        
        For documents labeled as application/ttml+xml, the fragment
        identifier notation is intended to be used with xml:id
        attributes, as described in section 7.2.1 of the Timed Text
        Markup Language (TTML) 1.0 specification.
        
Person & email address to contact for further information:
        
        Timed Text Working Group ([email-masked])
        
Intended usage:
        
        COMMON
        
Restrictions on usage:
        
        None
        
Author:
        
        The published specification is a work product of the World Wide
        Web Consortium's Timed Text (TT) Working Group.
        
Change controller:
        
        The W3C has change control over this specification.

-- 
Philippe

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <[email-masked]>
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Organization: World Wide Web Consortium
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:55:29 -0500
Cc: [email-masked], public-tt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of ttml+xml (Update)

On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 17:59 +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> >It has been pointed out that the media type registration template for
> >application/ttml+xml was missing the section "Applications that use this
> >media type".
> >
> >Here is the updated template:
> 
> I do note that the issues I pointed out last time are not actually fixed
> in this update.

Weird. I addressed the full stop one and somehow ignored your other
points. I apologize about that and I certainly mean to address your
other points, especially since it would have saved me time now. I'll get
a new version within the next hour,

Philippe

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:59:37 +0100
Cc: [email-masked], public-tt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of ttml+xml (Update)

* Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>It has been pointed out that the media type registration template for
>application/ttml+xml was missing the section "Applications that use this
>media type".
>
>Here is the updated template:

I do note that the issues I pointed out last time are not actually fixed
in this update.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/ 

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Organization: World Wide Web Consortium
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:35:16 -0500
Cc: public-tt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of ttml+xml (Update)

It has been pointed out that the media type registration template for
application/ttml+xml was missing the section "Applications that use this
media type".

Here is the updated template:

MIME media type name:
        
        application
        
MIME subtype name:
        
        ttml+xml
        
Required parameters:
        
        None.
        
Optional parameters:
charset
        
        Same as application/xml media type, as specified in [XML Media
        Types] or its successors.
        
profile
        
        The document profile of a TTML document may be specified using
        an optional profile parameter, which, if specified, the value of
        which must adhere to the syntax and semantics of ttp:profile
        parameter defined by Section 6.2.8 ttp:profile of the published
        specification.
        
Encoding considerations:
        
        Same for application/xml. See [XML Media], Section 3.2.
        
Restrictions on usage:
        
        None.
        
Security considerations:
        
        As with other XML types and as noted in [XML Media] Section 10,
        repeated expansion of maliciously constructed XML entities can
        be used to consume large amounts of memory, which may cause XML
        processors in constrained environments to fail.
        
        In addition, because of the extensibility features for TTML and
        of XML in general, it is possible that "application/ttml+xml"
        may describe content that has security implications beyond those
        described here. However, if the processor follows only the
        normative semantics of the published specification, this content
        will be outside TTML namespaces and may be ignored. Only in the
        case where the processor recognizes and processes the additional
        content, or where further processing of that content is
        dispatched to other processors, would security issues
        potentially arise. And in that case, they would fall outside the
        domain of this registration document.
        
Interoperability considerations:
        
        The published specification describes processing semantics that
        dictate behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among
        other things, unrecognized elements and attributes, both in TTML
        namespaces and in other namespaces.
        
        Because TTML is extensible, conformant "application/ttml+xml"
        processors must expect that content received is well-formed XML,
        but it cannot be guaranteed that the content is valid to a
        particular DTD or Schema or that the processor will recognize
        all of the elements and attributes in the document.
        
Published specification:
        
        This media type registration is extracted from Appendix C Media
        Type Registration of the Timed Text Markup Language (TTML) 1.0
        specification.
        
Applications that use this media type:
        
        TTML is used in the television industry for the purpose of
        authoring, transcoding and exchanging timed text information and
        for delivering captions for television material repurposed for
        the internet.
        
        There is partial and full support of TTML in components used by
        several Web browsers plugins, and in a number of caption
        authoring tools.
        
Additional information:
Magic number(s):
File extension(s):
        
        .ttml
        
Macintosh file type code(s):
        
        "TTML"
        
Macintosh Universal Type Identifier code:
        
        org.w3c.ttml conforms to public.xml
        
Windows Clipboard Name:
        
        "Timed Text Document"
        
Person & email address to contact for further information:
        
        Timed Text Working Group ([email-masked])
        
Intended usage:
        
        COMMON
        
Author/Change controller:
        
        The published specification is a work product of the World Wide
        Web Consortium's Timed Text (TT) Working Group. The W3C has
        change control over this specification.

-- 
Philippe

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:39:14 +0900
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?"Martin_J._Dürst"?= <[email-masked]>
Organization: Aoyama Gakuin University
To: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml

Hello Chris, others,

I'm glad to confirm that I'm extremely happy with your new wording.

And I strictly promise I won't find any new hair in the soup anymore.

Regards,    Martin.

On 2010/12/07 23:52, Chris Lilley wrote:
> On Thursday, November 25, 2010, 7:30:41 AM, Martin wrote:
>
> MJD>  What about:
>
> MJD>  Fragment Identifiers
>
> MJD>  For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the fragment
> MJD>  identifier notation follows the XML Pointer Language (XPointer)
> MJD>  Framework (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/). Fragment
> MJD>  identifiers are either Shorthand Pointers (formerly called barenames) or
> MJD>  SVG view specifications. For details, please see Section 17.3.2 of the
> MJD>  SVG specification
> MJD>  (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers).
>
>
> MJD>  or some such.
>
> I looked into this. At first, I was going to normatively reference XPointer Framework as you suggested.
>
> However, the SVG WG had made a decision not to reference XPointer (superceeded) and not to reference XPointer Framework either, partly because of concerns over the scope of the conformance criteria
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/#conformance
> and also because this is not in any case needed just to define barenames.
>
> So I have added adapted wording:
>
>
>      Fragment Identifiers
>
>          For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the
>          fragment identifier notation is either Shorthand Pointers
>          (formerly called barenames) or the SVG-specific SVG Views
>          syntax;
>          http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG
>          both described in the fragment identifiers section of the
>          SVG specification.
>          http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers
>
>
>   >>>  Published specification:
>
>   >>>  This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P of the
>   >>>  SVG 1.1 specification.
>   >>>  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
>
> MJD>  First, we made some tweaks, and second, the published specification is
> MJD>  all of SVG 1.1, not just the mimereg part, as far as I understand.
>
> Also fixed; both Appendix P and the spec as a whole are separately referenced.
>
> Published specification:
>
>      This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
>      of the SVG 1.1 specification.
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
>

-- 
#-# Martin J. Dürst, Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:[email-masked]

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:10:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
To: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml

This looks ready to go to me.

				Ned

> This is an updated and final registration request, incorporating the latest round of feedback. Philippe, this is ready to go to the IESG now.

> Type name:

>     image

> Subtype name:

>     svg+xml

> Required parameters:

>     None.

> Optional parameters:

>     charset

>     Same as application/xml media type, as specified in [RFC3023] or
>     its successors.

> Encoding considerations:

>     Same as for application/xml. See [RFC3023], section 3.2 or its
>     successors.

> Security considerations:

>     As with other XML types and as noted in [RFC3023] section 10,
>     repeated expansion of maliciously constructed XML entities can be
>     used to consume large amounts of memory, which may cause XML
>     processors in constrained environments to fail.

>     Several SVG elements may cause arbitrary URIs to be referenced. In
>     this case, the security issues of [RFC3986], section 7, should be
>     considered.

>     In common with HTML, SVG documents may reference external media
>     such as images, audio, video, style sheets, and scripting
>     languages. Scripting languages are executable content. In this
>     case, the security considerations in the Media Type registrations
>     for those formats shall apply.

>     In addition, because of the extensibility features for SVG and of
>     XML in general, it is possible that "image/svg+xml" may describe
>     content that has security implications beyond those described
>     here. However, if the processor follows only the normative
>     semantics of the published specification, this content will be
>     outside the SVG namespace and shall be ignored. Only in the case
>     where the processor recognizes and processes the additional
>     content, or where further processing of that content is dispatched
>     to other processors, would security issues potentially arise. And
>     in that case, they would fall outside the domain of this
>     registration document.

> Interoperability considerations:

>     The published specification describes processing semantics that
>     dictate behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among
>     other things, unrecognized elements and attributes, both in the
>     SVG namespace and in other namespaces.

>     Because SVG is extensible, conformant "image/svg+xml" processors
>     must expect that content received is well-formed XML, but it
>     cannot be guaranteed that the content is valid to a particular DTD
>     or Schema or that the processor will recognize all of the elements
>     and attributes in the document.

>     SVG has a published Test Suite and associated implementation
>     report showing which implementations passed which tests at the
>     time of the report. This information is periodically updated as
>     new tests are added or as implementations improve.

> Published specification:

>     This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
>     of the SVG 1.1 specification.
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
    
> Applications that use this media type:

>     SVG is used by Web browsers, often in conjunction with HTML; by
>     mobile phones and digital cameras, as a format for interchange of
>     graphical assets in desk top publishing, for industrial process
>     visualization, display signage, and many other applications which
>     require scalable static or interactive graphical capability.

> Additional information:

>     Magic number(s):

>     File extension(s):
>         svg

>         Note that the extension 'svgz' is used as an alias for
>         'svg.gz' [RFC1952], i.e. octet streams of type image/svg+xml,
>         subsequently compressed with gzip.

>     Macintosh file type code(s):

>         "svg " (all lowercase, with a space character as the fourth letter).

>         Note that the Macintosh file type code 'svgz' (all lowercase)
>         is used as an alias for GZIP [RFC1952] compressed "svg ", i.e.
>         octet streams of type image/svg+xml, subsequently compressed
>         with gzip.

>     Macintosh Universal Type Identifier code:

>         org.w3c.svg conforms to public.image and to public.xml

>     Windows Clipboard Name:

>         "SVG Image"

>     Fragment Identifiers

>         For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the
>         fragment identifier notation is either Shorthand Pointers
>         (formerly called barenames) or the SVG-specific SVG Views
>         syntax;
>         http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG
>         both described in the fragment identifiers section of the
>         SVG specification.
>         http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers

> Person & email address to contact for further information:

>     Chris Lilley, Doug Schepers ([email-masked]).

> Intended usage:

>     COMMON

> Restrictions on usage:

>     None

> Author:

>     The SVG specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
>     Consortium's SVG Working Group.

> Change controller:

>     The W3C has change control over this specification.

> --
>  Chris Lilley   Technical Director, Interaction Domain
>  W3C Graphics Activity Lead, Fonts Activity Lead
>  Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
>  Member, CSS, WebFonts, SVG Working Groups

> _______________________________________________
> ietf-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-types

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:52:24 +0100
From: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Organization: W3C
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, Philippe Le Hegaret <[email-masked]>
Subject: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml
Reply-To: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>

Hello ,

This is an updated and final registration request, incorporating the latest round of feedback. Philippe, this is ready to go to the IESG now.

Type name:

    image

Subtype name:

    svg+xml

Required parameters:

    None.

Optional parameters:

    charset

    Same as application/xml media type, as specified in [RFC3023] or
    its successors.

Encoding considerations:

    Same as for application/xml. See [RFC3023], section 3.2 or its
    successors.

Security considerations:

    As with other XML types and as noted in [RFC3023] section 10,
    repeated expansion of maliciously constructed XML entities can be
    used to consume large amounts of memory, which may cause XML
    processors in constrained environments to fail.

    Several SVG elements may cause arbitrary URIs to be referenced. In
    this case, the security issues of [RFC3986], section 7, should be
    considered.

    In common with HTML, SVG documents may reference external media
    such as images, audio, video, style sheets, and scripting
    languages. Scripting languages are executable content. In this
    case, the security considerations in the Media Type registrations
    for those formats shall apply.

    In addition, because of the extensibility features for SVG and of
    XML in general, it is possible that "image/svg+xml" may describe
    content that has security implications beyond those described
    here. However, if the processor follows only the normative
    semantics of the published specification, this content will be
    outside the SVG namespace and shall be ignored. Only in the case
    where the processor recognizes and processes the additional
    content, or where further processing of that content is dispatched
    to other processors, would security issues potentially arise. And
    in that case, they would fall outside the domain of this
    registration document.

Interoperability considerations:

    The published specification describes processing semantics that
    dictate behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among
    other things, unrecognized elements and attributes, both in the
    SVG namespace and in other namespaces.

    Because SVG is extensible, conformant "image/svg+xml" processors
    must expect that content received is well-formed XML, but it
    cannot be guaranteed that the content is valid to a particular DTD
    or Schema or that the processor will recognize all of the elements
    and attributes in the document.

    SVG has a published Test Suite and associated implementation
    report showing which implementations passed which tests at the
    time of the report. This information is periodically updated as
    new tests are added or as implementations improve.

Published specification:

    This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P 
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
    of the SVG 1.1 specification.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
    
Applications that use this media type:

    SVG is used by Web browsers, often in conjunction with HTML; by
    mobile phones and digital cameras, as a format for interchange of
    graphical assets in desk top publishing, for industrial process
    visualization, display signage, and many other applications which
    require scalable static or interactive graphical capability.

Additional information:

    Magic number(s):

    File extension(s):
        svg

        Note that the extension 'svgz' is used as an alias for
        'svg.gz' [RFC1952], i.e. octet streams of type image/svg+xml,
        subsequently compressed with gzip.

    Macintosh file type code(s):

        "svg " (all lowercase, with a space character as the fourth letter).

        Note that the Macintosh file type code 'svgz' (all lowercase)
        is used as an alias for GZIP [RFC1952] compressed "svg ", i.e.
        octet streams of type image/svg+xml, subsequently compressed
        with gzip.

    Macintosh Universal Type Identifier code:

        org.w3c.svg conforms to public.image and to public.xml

    Windows Clipboard Name:

        "SVG Image"

    Fragment Identifiers

        For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the 
        fragment identifier notation is either Shorthand Pointers
        (formerly called barenames) or the SVG-specific SVG Views
        syntax; 
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG
        both described in the fragment identifiers section of the 
        SVG specification.
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers

Person & email address to contact for further information:

    Chris Lilley, Doug Schepers ([email-masked]).

Intended usage:

    COMMON

Restrictions on usage:

    None

Author:

    The SVG specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
    Consortium's SVG Working Group.

Change controller:

    The W3C has change control over this specification.

-- 
 Chris Lilley   Technical Director, Interaction Domain                 
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead, Fonts Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
 Member, CSS, WebFonts, SVG Working Groups

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:52:19 +0100
From: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Organization: W3C
To: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?"Martin_J._Dürst"?=" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml
Reply-To: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>

On Thursday, November 25, 2010, 7:30:41 AM, Martin wrote:

MJD> What about:

MJD> Fragment Identifiers

MJD> For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the fragment
MJD> identifier notation follows the XML Pointer Language (XPointer) 
MJD> Framework (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/). Fragment 
MJD> identifiers are either Shorthand Pointers (formerly called barenames) or
MJD> SVG view specifications. For details, please see Section 17.3.2 of the
MJD> SVG specification 
MJD> (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers).

MJD> or some such. 

I looked into this. At first, I was going to normatively reference XPointer Framework as you suggested.

However, the SVG WG had made a decision not to reference XPointer (superceeded) and not to reference XPointer Framework either, partly because of concerns over the scope of the conformance criteria
http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/#conformance
and also because this is not in any case needed just to define barenames.

So I have added adapted wording:

    Fragment Identifiers

        For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the 
        fragment identifier notation is either Shorthand Pointers
        (formerly called barenames) or the SVG-specific SVG Views
        syntax; 
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG
        both described in the fragment identifiers section of the 
        SVG specification.
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers

 >>> Published specification:

 >>> This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P of the
 >>> SVG 1.1 specification.
 >>> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html

MJD> First, we made some tweaks, and second, the published specification is
MJD> all of SVG 1.1, not just the mimereg part, as far as I understand.

Also fixed; both Appendix P and the spec as a whole are separately referenced.

Published specification:

    This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P 
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
    of the SVG 1.1 specification.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/

-- 
 Chris Lilley   Technical Director, Interaction Domain                 
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead, Fonts Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
 Member, CSS, WebFonts, SVG Working Groups

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:25:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
To: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml

> OK, is there anything left to do?

The only remaining issue, which came up afer I sent this, is the bit about
fragment ids. I'm happy with Martin's proposal change on that front, but
others may not be.

> Or is this already on the way to IANA?

This is a standards tree registration so it goes to the IESG, not IANA.

				Ned