Subject: [media-types] Updated template for Potential media type registration for XLIFF 2.0

From: "Dr. David Filip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:31:28 +0000

Thanks everyone, for commenting on the previous provisional template.

I have changed the subtype to xliff+xml and corrected few typos.

Please let us know if you think that the template would be in your opinion
ready for a IANA registration submission in its current state, ignoring any
content in square brackets that is provided just for context of the review.

As soon as the template seems OK to the experts on this list I will take it
back to the XLIFF TC for registration approval.

Thanks and regards
dF

<start of the registration template>

Registration Template

   Type name: application
[not text, because end users do not like markup]

   Subtype name: xliff+xml
[based on media-types list experts feedback]

   Required parameters: N/A

   Optional parameters: N/A
[charset declared in payload, hence charset parameter SHOULD NOT be defined]

   Encoding considerations:
Same as encoding considerations of application/xml as specified in RFC 3023
[This media type MAY be encoded as appropriate for the charset and the
capabilities of the underlying MIME transport.  For 7-bit transports, data
in UTF-8 MUST be encoded in quoted-printable or base64.  For 8-bit clean
transport (e.g., 8BITMIME[RFC1652] ESMTP or NNTP[RFC0977]), UTF-8 does not
need to be encoded.  Over HTTP[RFC2616], no content-transfer-encoding is
necessary and UTF-16 may also be used.]

   Security considerations:
All of the security considerations described in RFC 3023

   Interoperability considerations:
Same as interoperability considerations described in RFC 3023
[XML has proven to be interoperable across WebDAV clients and servers, and
for import and export from   multiple XML authoring tools.  For maximum
interoperability,
      validating processors are recommended.  Although non-validating
      processors may be more efficient, they are not required to handle
      all features of XML.]
Also, interoperability requirements are specified throughout the
specification and summarized in its Conformance section

   Published specification:
[the current latest published version is:
XLIFF Version 2.0 (CSD02)
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/xliff-core/v2.0/csd02/xliff-core-v2.0-csd02.html
The relevant published version at the time of submission will be most
likely this:]
XLIFF Version 2.0 (CSD03)
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/xliff-core/v2.0/csd02/xliff-core-v2.0-csd03.html
[the above will not resolve until the thrird public review call becomes
public, the csd03 will be largely based on this current working draft:
wd03:
https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/xliff/trunk/xliff-20/xliff-core.pdf
]

   Applications that use this media type:
XLIFF conformant applications, according to the Conformance Section of the
specification.

   Fragment identifier considerations:
Generic XML processors won't be able to resolve XLIFF fragment identifiers,
as the fragment identification syntax is specific for XLIFF and has been
defined in its Fragment Identification section as of csprd03 [wd03] of
Version 2.0. [XLIFF 1.2 has never been registered as a media type, I learn
there is a xliff+xml type corresponding to XLIFF 1.2 in the private x-tree,
which seems to have been ill conceived for an OASIS standard, however
should be irrelevant for this current registration of XLIFF 2.0]
Intended usage:
COMMON
Restrictions on usage: N/A

   Author:
OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC
Editors: Tom Comerford, [email-masked]; David Filip, [email-masked];
Yves Savourel, [email-masked]

   Change controller:
OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/
Bryan Schnabel, [email-masked], Chair
Tom Comerford, [email-masked], Secretary
David Filip, [email-masked], Secretary

   Provisional registration? (standards tree only): YES
[I assume that the registration becomes fix after we reach the OASIS
standard stage]

   Additional information:

     Deprecated alias names for this type: N/A
     Magic number(s): N/A
     File extension(s): .xlf
     Macintosh file type code(s): "TEXT"

   Person & email address to contact for further information:
OASIS Technical Committee administration
[email-masked]
[the review comments will be monitored by [email-masked] on this list]

</end of the registration template>

Dr. David Filip
=======================
LRC | CNGL | LT-Web | CSIS
University of Limerick, Ireland
telephone: +353-6120-2781
*cellphone: +353-86-0222-158*
facsimile: +353-6120-2734
http://www.cngl.ie/profile/?i=452
mailto: [email-masked]