Subject: [media-types] Proposed media type registration for OASIS LegalDocML - Akoma Ntoso XML (resending)

From: Fabio Vitali <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 18:55:32 +0200

Hello. 

I have been tasked by the OASIS LegalDocML Technical Committee to start the procedures to register a new media type under the 'application' tree, as specified in the following.

As an explanation, Akoma Ntoso is the main expected output of the activities of the OASIS LegalDocML Technical Committee, aimed at providing an XML vocabulary for legal and legislative documents in national parliaments, courts and other legal institutions. Several Parliaments and legislative bodies in the world have already decided adoption or expressed interest and support for the data format. 

Thank you.

Fabio Vitali 
(OASIS LegalDocML co-chair)

----------------------------------------------------

MIME media type name:
---------------------

   application

MIME subtype name:
------------------

   akn+xml

Required parameters:
--------------------

   None

Optional parameters:
--------------------

   charset

   with identical semantics to the charset parameter of
   the application/xml media type as specified in [RFC 3023] and 
   successors.

Encoding considerations:
------------------------

   Akoma Ntoso documents are XML, and therefore have the same
   considerations when sent as "application/akn+xml" as XML.
   See [RFC 3023] (or its successors), section 3.2.

Security considerations:
------------------------

   Since this media type uses the "+xml" convention, it shares
   the security considerations described in Section 10 of RFC 3023 
   [RFC3023], Akoma Ntoso documents may contain arbitrary URIs. 
   Hence the security issues of [RFC3986], Section 7, apply.

Interoperability considerations:
--------------------------------

   This specification describes processing semantics that dictate
   behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among other
   things, unrecognized elements. Since Akoma Ntoso is designed to 
   be extensible in specific elements, "application/akn+xml" processors 
   MAY expect that
   content received is well-formed XML, but processors SHOULD NOT
   assume that the content is valid Akoma Ntoso or expect to recognize all
   of the elements and attributes in the document.

Published specification:
------------------------

   The Akoma Ntoso specifications are an upcoming output of the LegalDocML 
   Technical Committee of OASIS. Specification of the Akoma Ntoso schema is
   available in draft form at http://www.akomantoso.org, and will be made
   available on the OASIS web site during the normal approval process. 

Applications which use this media type 
--------------------------------------

   Akoma Ntoso documents are created, accepted and managed by a number of 
   tools in use by parliaments that are active in the legal XML domain. 
   These include document management systems, legal drafting tools, URI 
   resolvers and format converters. 

   The necessity of this media types arises with those institutions that
   have another XML data format for their legal documents, and that want 
   to add support for Akoma Ntoso, since by examining the request they
   need to be able to determine the XML vocabulary to use for the response. 

Fragment identifiers
--------------------
   Documents having the media type 'application/akn+xml' use a fragment 
   identifier notation totally consistent with what is specified in [RFC3023] 
   for the media type 'application/xml'.

Restrictions on usage 
---------------------
   None. 

Provisional registration? 
-------------------------
   We kindly request provisional registration for application/akn+xml

Additional information:
-----------------------

   Magic number(s):

       There is no single initial octet sequence that is always
       present in Akoma Ntoso documents.

   File extension(s):

       Akoma Ntoso documents are most often identified with the extensions
       ".akn".

   Macintosh File Type Code(s):

       TEXT

Person and email address to contact for further information:
------------------------------------------------------------

   Fabio Vitali <[email-masked]>
   Monica Palmirani <[email-masked]>

Intended usage:
---------------

   COMMON

Author:
-------

The Akoma Ntoso specification is an output of the LegalDocML 
Technical Committee of the Legal XML Member Section of OASIS.

Change controller:
------------------

The OASIS Legal XML Member Section has change control over these specifications.

------------------------------------------------------------------

--

Fabio Vitali                            Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly,
Dept. of Computer Science        Man got to sit and wonder "Why, why, why?'
Univ. of Bologna  ITALY               Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land,
phone:  +39 051 2094872              Man got to tell himself he understand.
e-mail: [email-masked]         Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007), "Cat's cradle"
http://vitali.web.cs.unibo.it/