Subject: [media-types] multipart/multilingual registration request

From: Nik Tomkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 13:43:32 +0100

Hi All,

 I am working on this template but I need some advice from anyone who knows
 this sort of this thing well and has experience in this area.

 It is for this I-D:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-slim-multilangcontent/

 My initial suggestion would be:

      Media Type name: multipart

      Media subtype name: multilingual

      Required parameters: boundary (defined in RFC2046)

      Optional parameters: N/A

      Encoding considerations: ?

      Security considerations: See the Security Considerations section in
 this document

      Interoperability considerations:
          Existing systems that do not treat unknown multipart subtypes
          as multipart/mixed may not correctly render a
          multipart/multilingual type.

      Published specification: This document

      Applications that use this media type:
          Mail Transfer Agents, Mail User Agents, spam detection,
          virus detection modules and message authentication modules.

      Additional information:

          Deprecated alias names for this type: N/A
          Magic number(s): N/A
          File extension(s): N/A
          Macintosh file type code(s): N/A

      Person & email address to contact for further information:
          Nik Tomkinson
          [email-masked]

          Nathaniel Borenstein
          [email-masked]

      Intended usage: Common

 But I am not sure about the encoding considerations because the IANA
 'Application for a Media Type' form at http://www.iana.org/form/media-
 types includes these options:
  - 7-bit text
  - 8-bit text (this media type may require encoding on transports not
 capable of handling 8-bit text)
  - binary (this media type may require encoding on transports not capable
 of handling binary)

 but it also refers to RFC 6838 §4.8
 which lists:
  - 7bit:  The content of the media type consists solely of CRLF-delimited
 7bit US-ASCII text.
  - 8bit:  The content of the media type consists solely of CRLF-delimited
 8bit text.
  - binary:  The content consists of an unrestricted sequence of octets.

 I have seen from examples of other registered MIME types that the wording
 is not always the same as above but, given that there is a registration
 form with strict definitions, I am at a bit of a loss which I should
 specify.

 Can anyone offer a suggestion?

 Thanks in advance,

 Nik.

-- 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Multiple Language Content Type Internet Draft:

<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tomkinson-multilangcontent/>
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-slim-multilangcontent/
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tomkinson-slim-multilangcontent/>

-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 18:54:28 +0100

Hi Nik,

On 09/09/2016 13:43, Nik Tomkinson wrote:
>  It is for this I-D: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-slim-multilangcontent/
> 
> 

Strictly speaking such systems are already non compliant with MIME.

>           [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 
>           Nathaniel Borenstein
>           [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 
>       Intended usage: Common
> 
> 
> 

I think you should use something like this:

  only "7bit", "8bit", or "binary" are permitted

This is the same as used by
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/multipart/byteranges>

Best Regards,
Alexey

> <http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tomkinson-multilangcontent/>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-slim-multilangcontent/