Subject: [media-types] Request review for application/senml+exi and application/sensml+exi

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 15:07:22 -0600

In the registration below, RFC-AAAA would point at an RFC based on draft-ietf-core-senml-04

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: senml+exi and sensml+exi

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: Must be encoded as using
   [W3C.REC-exi-20140211].  See RFC-AAAA for details.

   Security considerations: Sensor data can contain a wide range of
   information ranging from information that is very public, such the
   outside temperature in a given city, to very private information that
   requires integrity and confidentiality protection, such as patient
   health information.  This format does not provide any security and
   instead relies on the transport protocol that carries it to provide
   security.  Given applications need to look at the overall context of
   how this media type will be used to decide if the security is
   adequate.

   Interoperability considerations: Applications should ignore any tags
   or attributes that they do not understand.  This allows backwards
   compatibility extensions to this specification.  The "bver" attribute
   in the senml tag can be used to ensure the receiver supports a
   minimal level of functionality needed by the creator of the XML.
   Further information on using schemas to guide the EXI can be found in
   RFC-AAAA.

   Published specification: RFC-AAAA

   Applications that use this media type: The type is used by systems
   that report e.g., electrical power usage and environmental
   information such as temperature and humidity.  It can be used for a
   wide range of sensor reporting systems.

   Additional information:

   Magic number(s): none

   File extension(s): senmle and sensmle

   Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person & email address to contact for further information: Cullen
   Jennings <[email-masked]>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: None

   Author: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

   Change controller: IESG

   [W3C.REC-exi-20140211]
              Schneider, J., Kamiya, T., Peintner, D., and R. Kyusakov,
              "Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Format 1.0 (Second
              Edition)", World Wide Web Consortium Recommendation REC-
              exi-20140211, February 2014,
              <http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-exi-20140211>.