Subject: [media-types] Request review for application/senml+cbor and application/sensml+cbor

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 15:07:27 -0600

In the registration below, RFC-AAAA would point at an RFC based on draft-ietf-core-senml-04

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: senml+cbor and sensml+cbor

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: Must be encoded as using [RFC7049].  See
   RFC-AAAA for details.

   Security considerations: Sensor data can contain a wide range of
   information ranging from information that is very public, such the
   outside temperature in a given city, to very private information that
   requires integrity and confidentiality protection, such as patient
   health information.  This format does not provide any security and
   instead relies on the transport protocol that carries it to provide
   security.  Given applications need to look at the overall context of
   how this media type will be used to decide if the security is
   adequate.

   Interoperability considerations: Applications should ignore any key
   value pairs that they do not understand.  This allows backwards
   compatibility extensions to this specification.  The "bver" field can
   be used to ensure the receiver supports a minimal level of
   functionality needed by the creator of the CBOR object.

   Published specification: RFC-AAAA

   Applications that use this media type: The type is used by systems
   that report e.g., electrical power usage and environmental
   information such as temperature and humidity.  It can be used for a
   wide range of sensor reporting systems.

   Additional information:

   Magic number(s): none

   File extension(s): senmlc and sensmlc

   Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person & email address to contact for further information: Cullen
   Jennings <[email-masked]>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: None

   Author: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

   Change controller: IESG

  [RFC7049]  Bormann, C. and P. Hoffman, "Concise Binary Object
              Representation (CBOR)", RFC 7049, DOI 10.17487/RFC7049,
              October 2013, <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7049>.