Subject: [media-types] Media-type registrations for senml-etch+json and senml-etch+cbor

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:12:30 +0200

»The Sensor Measurement Lists (SenML) media type and data model can
be used to send collections of resources, such as batches of sensor
data or configuration parameters.  The existing media types
(defined in RFC 8428) are useful for the traditional operations
GET, PUT, POST.  The CoAP iPATCH, PATCH, and FETCH methods enable
accessing and updating parts of a resource or multiple resources
with one request.  For using these methods to access and operate on
resources represented with the SenML data model, the present
document defines variants of the SenML media types, for JSON and
CBOR representations only.«

Please review the media-type registrations as proposed in 
draft-ietf-core-senml-etch-04, copied below (RFC-AAAA is the 
RFC-to-be from that).

Grüße, Carsten

5.2.  senml-etch+json Media Type

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: senml-etch+json

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: Must be encoded as using a subset of the
   encoding allowed in [RFC8259].  This simplifies implementation of a
   very simple system and does not impose any significant limitations as
   all this data is meant for machine to machine communications and is
   not meant to be human readable.

   Security considerations: See Section 4 of RFC-AAAA.

Keranen & Mohajer        Expires January 9, 2020                [Page 6]
Internet-Draft          FETCH & PATCH with SenML               July 2019

   Interoperability considerations: Applications MUST ignore any key
   value pairs that they do not understand unless the key ends with the
   '_' character in which case an error MUST be generated.  This allows
   backwards compatible extensions to this specification.

   Published specification: RFC-AAAA

   Applications that use this media type: Applications that use the
   SenML media type for resource representation.

   Fragment identifier considerations: N/A

   Additional information:

   Magic number(s): none

   File extension(s): senml-etchj

   Windows Clipboard Name: "SenML FETCH/PATCH format"

   Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Macintosh Universal Type Identifier code: org.ietf.senml-etch-json
   conforms to public.text

   Person & email address to contact for further information: Ari
   Keranen [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: None

   Author: Ari Keranen [email-masked]

   Change controller: IESG

5.3.  senml-etch+cbor Media Type

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: senml-etch+cbor

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: Must be encoded as using [RFC7049].

Keranen & Mohajer        Expires January 9, 2020                [Page 7]
Internet-Draft          FETCH & PATCH with SenML               July 2019

   Security considerations: See Section 4 of RFC-AAAA.

   Interoperability considerations: Applications MUST ignore any key
   value pairs that they do not understand unless the key ends with the
   '_' character in which case an error MUST be generated.  This allows
   backwards compatible extensions to this specification.

   Published specification: RFC-AAAA

   Applications that use this media type: Applications that use the
   SenML media type for resource representation.

   Fragment identifier considerations: N/A

   Additional information:

   Magic number(s): none

   File extension(s): senml-etchc

   Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Macintosh Universal Type Identifier code: org.ietf.senml-etch-cbor
   conforms to public.data

   Person & email address to contact for further information: Ari
   Keranen [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: None

   Author: Ari Keranen [email-masked]

   Change controller: IESG