Subject: [media-types] application/vnd.taskcluster.json-e.v3+json

From: Dustin Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 09:28:22 -0400

JSON-e is a templating language that operates on data structures,
rather than text.

In https://github.com/taskcluster/json-e/issues/319, Nicholas Bollweg
has asked for a media type that would allow Jupyter to distinguish
"plain" JSON content from JSON-e templates, and suggested
`application/vnd.taskcluster.json-e.v3+json`.

This has a `vnd` prefix, so I understand that no explicit registration
is required, but would nonetheless appreciate some advice on the
matter.

The encoding of files with this type is identical to
`application/json`.  The `v3` corresponds to the `v3` release of the
library, where major versions are incremented whenever breaking
changes are made (rarely!).

The intent would be to define this media type in the README for the
project, for use by consumers of the library.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this media-type name.

Dustin

---

From: Henrik Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 14:34:12 +0200

> is required, but would nonetheless appreciate some advice on the
Your understanding is incorrect. The vnd tree does not change the
registration requirements. Only the x- prefix allows use of unregistered
types, and only unregistered types.

---

From: Clemens Ladisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 14:49:52 +0200

Dustin Mitchell wrote:
> https://github.com/taskcluster/json-e/issues/319

... wishes for "application/e+json".

RCC 6838 says:
|  The standards tree is intended for types of general interest to the
|  Internet community.  Registrations in the standards tree MUST be
|  either:
|
|  1.  in the case of registrations associated with IETF specifications,
|      approved directly by the IESG, or
|
|  2.  registered by a recognized standards-related organization using
|      the "Specification Required" IANA registration policy [RFC5226]
|      (which implies Expert Review).

Is there a standards-related organization that is recognized?
If not, you must use the vendor tree.

> `application/vnd.taskcluster.json-e.v3+json`

This name looks OK.  Please fill out the template and post it here.

Have a look at other +json registrations to see what should go in there:
<https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml>

Regards,
Clemens