Subject: [media-types] Media type registration request: model/e57

From: Sascha Brawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 21:06:43 +0200

Dear IANA media types list,

the E57 file format is a compact, vendor-neutral format for storing
point clouds, images, and metadata produced by 3D imaging systems such
as laser scanners. Here’s a proposal for a registration request; not
sure if model/e57 or image/e57 is more appropriate. Best,

— Sascha Brawer, [email-masked]

Type name: model

Subtype name: e57

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: binary

Security considerations: Per their specification, E57 files do not
contain executable content. However, in addition to binary data, they
contain an XML-encoded stream. Therefore, they have all of the general
security considerations presented in section 10 of [RFC7303].

Interoperability considerations: The E57 file format has been
implemented by several vendors listed on [LIBE57].

Published specification: The specification has been formally
standardized in [ASTME2807]. An informal overview is available from
[HUBER], and there is an open-source implementation in [LIBE57].

Applications that use this media type: 3D imaging systems such as laser scanners

Fragment identifier considerations: none

Deprecated alias names for this type: none

Magic number(s): E57 files start with a magic 8-byte string  x'41 53
54 4D 2D 45 35 37' (in ASCII: "ASTM-E57")

File extension(s): e57

Macintosh file type code(s): none

Person & email address to contact for further information:
Gene Roe, Lidar News and ASTM E57 chairman <[email-masked]>
Stan Coleby, Cerisoft LLC <[email-masked]>

Bibliography:

[ASTME2807] ASTM Committee E57 on 3D Imaging Systems,
"Standard Specification for 3D Imaging Data Exchange, Version 1.0",
ASTM International Standards Publication E2807-11 (2019).
DOI: 10.1520/E2807-11R19, https://www.astm.org/Standards/E2807.htm

[HUBER] Daniel Huber, "The ASTM E57 File Format for 3D Imaging Data Exchange",
Proceedings of the SPIE Vol. 7864A, Electronics Imaging Science and
Technology Conference (IS&T), 3D Imaging Metrology, Vol. 7864A,
January, 2011.
DOI: 10.1117/12.876555,
https://www.ri.cmu.edu/pub_files/2011/1/2011-huber-e57-v3.pdf

[LIBE57] "libE57: Software Tools for Managing E57 Files".
http://www.libe57.org/

[RFC7303] H. Thompson, C. Lilley, "XML Media Types",
IETF Request for Comments 7303, July 2014.
Available at https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc7303.txt