Subject: [media-types] MIME type for ROOT files

From: Axel Naumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 16:00:53 +0200

Hi,

ROOT <https://root.cern> is a software package used around the globe
since 25 years by virtually anybody doing high energy physics. It comes
with its own binary file format, ROOT files, with standard extension
".root". More than 1 exabytes or data is stored in these files. The
"file" utility recognizes ROOT files since many, many years
<https://github.com/file/file/blob/36490fd919cb4268a57e010ad8ccdc0883853fe2/magic/Magdir/database#L122>.

Several programs can read ROOT files, few can write them. The file
format is backward compatible since about 20 years.

Given the stability and relevance, we would like to get ROOT files
registered as a MIME type. I would assume the Vendor Tree is
appropriate, within the "application" top-level media type? If so, I
would suggest "vnd.root-project.tfile".

Please let me know whether this is unacceptable in any way, or what I
should watch out for when submitting
<https://www.iana.org/form/media-types>. Do you want to see a "dry-run"
form?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Axel.

-- 
ROOT https://root.cern
CERN EP-SFT, 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
Phone: +41227678225

---

From: Clemens Ladisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 16:10:30 +0200

Axel Naumann wrote:
> Do you want to see a "dry-run" form?

RFC 6838 says:
|   While public exposure and review of media types to be registered in
|   the vendor tree are not required, using the [email-masked]
|   mailing list for review is encouraged, to improve the quality of
|   those specifications.

Regards,
Clemens