Subject: [media-types] proposed application/atakama-file registration

From: Erik Aronesty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 08:19:25 -0400

Hi,

I read that we should announce intended registrations for review.

We plan on registering

mime/type: application/atakama-file
extension: .kama

as a file type.

It is a multipurpose type, known internally as a "writable archive file".
We plan on publishing, with an open license, the file format as well as one
or more reference implementations / language packs.

It is basically one of those "files within files" formats,  similar to a
binary-mime, with sector headers, etc.   The primary purpose of the file
format is:

- fast reads
- simultaneous write to & read from different segments
- small number of adressible segments (not intended as a database)
- extremely low overhead
- endian safe

It is currently used, implemented by our company, as an encrypted file
store for desktop.mobile where certain metadata and key information are
stored alongside the file data.

The purpose of the fairly short intended file extension is due to
compatibility with older file systems, and limited-space display situations.

- Erik Aronesty
  Atakama, LLC