Subject: [media-types] Content-Disposition

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 07:31:41 -0700

Mornin',

In 1997, RFC 2183 created an IANA registry for valid Content-Disposition
values.  That RFC requires registrations to include "Allowable values for
this parameter".  However, the registry as it exists today lacks this
column, and apparently this has gone unnoticed since the beginning.  The
recent draft-crocker-inreply-react made a registration here, and this is
when the discrepancy was discovered.

One way to look at this is that the column isn't needed since nothing has
tripped on this problem before.  Another is that the column is needed and
we should ask IANA to add it, going back to all the registrations to find
what should be in that column retroactively.

I'll prefer the latter for correctness, but if the community thinks that
it's obsolete and we should just update the RFC, I'd love to hear that view
(or others).

(I should probably post this to the ART list too, or instead, but I'll
start here.)

Thanks,

-MSK

---

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 17:41:40 +0200

[Murray S. Kucherawy]
> it's obsolete and we should just update the RFC, I'd love to hear that view

I agree that it is better to get the directory of Content-Disposition
values up and running. :)

-- 
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen