Subject: [media-types] Why didn't RFC 2361 register audio/vnd.wave and video/vnd.avi?

From: Luke Shumaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 15:51:17 -0700

Hello,

Until today I would have told you that RFC 2361 registered the
audio/vnd.wave and video/vnd.avi media types.  However, it was pointed
out to me that these media types are not present in te IANA
media-types registry[1], and indeed my closer reading of the RFC is
that it establishes an IANA registry[2] for interpretation of the
"codec" parameter in "audio/vnd.wave; codec=XXX" and "video/vnd.avi;
codec=XXX" media types, without registering the media types
themselves.

This is strange to me.  Can someone help give me clarity as to why it
didn't register the media types?

References: 
 - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2361
 - [1]: https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml
 - [2]: https://www.iana.org/assignments/wave-avi-codec-registry/wave-avi-codec-registry.xml

-- 
Happy hacking,
~ Luke Shumaker