Subject: [MEDIACTRL] more thoughts on MRB

From: "MUNSON, GARY A (GARY A)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 16:17:17 -0400

Chris, Roni et al,

Here are some more thoughts for consideration regarding MRB.

1) What all can an AS tell the MRB when it makes a request for MS
resources? Here is a proposed initial list:
      a) the stuff we're all already thinking about in terms of
media-related capabilities (conference with characteristics XYZ or ivr
with characteristics LMN)
      b) how many ports for a given conference

      c) expected/estimated duration of a conference
      d) a conference ID; for conference reservations (item 2 below),
or, depending on the MRB model,  revising the request later (e.g.,
conference size) or ensuring subsequent call legs get added to the right
conference
      e) geographic preference for MS resource location (e.g., if the AS
knows most of the conferees for a conference will be in California, it
might state a geo preference along those lines, instead of letting the
MRB otherwise pick one in London over one in Denver)
      f) some kind of 'application/service' identifier (e.g., Sam's
Ordinary Consumer Service or  Acme Gold Service); it would be desirable
to allow for having policies in MRB so that one service can't hog all
the MS resources or so different services get different shares of
resources; we don't care what the actual policies are

      g) agent skill sets; an agent+workstation or set of them, under
control of an AS, can be usefully modeled as a Media Server

2) MRB needs to keep track of conference reservations. Otherwise, it
can't be sure of having enough of the right MS resources left at the
right time for any particular reserved conference. So some kind of
conference ID would be assigned to a reservation, and that ID would come
across from the AS when it wants to bring call legs to the conference.
The MRB could be informed of a reservation request and its details via
an OSS/SSS type feed or from an AS. Should reservationing be part of the
MSR Consumer interface or the MSR Publishing interface (or both or
neither)?

3) What all can the MRB tell the AS for the Query model? Here is a
proposed initial list:

   a) MS resource address to send a call/call leg to (e.g., SIP URI)
   b) in the case where the AS request can't be granted, what the MRB
can instead provide that may be a closest match
   b) in the case where a large conference straddles multiple physical
MSes, which URIs and how many ports correspond to each MS

4) Suppose we want to use the AS-MS separate control channel scheme,
i.e., draft-boulton-sip-control-framework, with MRB. How does that work
for Query? Or for Relay, where the AS doesn't know which MS was
selected?? And for either of those there is the case where there may be
an already-existing control channel from the AS to the MS that MRB picks
for a new call, and the case where a new control channel needs to be set
up to the MS along with the call. I haven't thought about this ...

cheers,

Gary

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl