Subject: [MEDIACTRL] SIP Control of VoiceXML (Loose Coupling)

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:03:01 -0700

We have added a brief discussion of the following document to the agenda
in Chicago.  I am hoping we can discuss this on the list beforehand, and
no decision will be made until after Chicago and list consultation.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-burke-vxml-03
describes a model for lose coupling between an application server and a
media server using SIP.  It fills in a few underspecified interactions
from RFC 4240, and is wholly backwards-compatible with RFC 4240's dialog
service.

The document is just about ready for publication.  However, the topic, a
protocol between an application server and a media server using SIP,
falls square in the charter of MEDIACTRL.  By IETF policies and
convention, publication would need work group endorsement as a minimum.
Most likely outcome would be holding publication until after the
MEDIACTRL group finishes.  Being a work group document, on the other
hand, would be best.

Given there are a bunch of interoperable implementations already, we
know the framework is solid.  However, there are probably a few details
that could benefit from a work group review.

You will notice there is only a brief amount of time allocated for this
document.  The only discussion topic is whether to:

1. Take this document on as the basis for a work group document

2. Offer expert review only, and let the document suffer deep in the RFC
Editor Queue

3. Punt the document

I would offer that since this is useful and perfects an existing
document, #3 would be a disappointment.

I have gotten rumblings that the IESG, while it would probably honor our
decision, will consider #2 as a less than ideal choice.

However, before we just dive in on #1, it does mean we need to allocate
some time on the document.  If you vote for #1, also let us know if you
are willing to review the document.  Yes, if you are one of the cast of
thousands with your name on the document, you do not count as an
independent reviewer.

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl