Subject: [MEDIACTRL] recording requirements: use case

From: "Haluska, John J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:42:18 -0400

Hi all

I just wanted to clarify whether the requirements document as stands
supports a particular use case. I asked the question last week in
Chicago, but on looking at the requirements again, I'm not convinced
that the "roll call" functionality (REQ-MCP-30 ?) actually covers this.
So maybe it's best if I give more details. 

Initially I was thinking that this would be covered by the Burke draft,
and that might still be the best match. But, this use case will also
need MRB functionality, so I think the MEDIACTRL mechanism would be
preferable.

In this use case the user is played an announcement, and is prompted to
give spoken input (e.g. a name to be looked up in a directory, etc).

The spoken input is stored.

The MS goes off to a speech recognition engine, etc, and retrieves some
data (e.g. DB lookup) corresponding to the spoken input, or fails.

The MS then needs to return the following to the AS:

1. The pass/fail status of the speech recognition/data lookup operation

2. The data (or pointer to the same) returned by the lookup (only
applicable on success)

3. A pointer to the file where the spoken request is stored (only
required on failure). 

If the speech recognition failed, the MS may be asked to play back the
file containing the spoken input to a stream. E.g. played back to a
human attendant who would perform a manual lookup because the speech
recognition failed.

I'd break these recording requirements into:

-Recording a short clip as part of a speech recognition request (versus
conference/IVR, unless this can be considered as an IVR case)

-Accept parameters pertaining to the recording (e.g. preferred codecs,
time compression, etc)

-Return a reference to that recording.

-Retain the recording for some period of time

-Accept a command to play back the explicitly referenced recording as an
announcement onto a stream

-Delete the recording 1. on command (e.g. issued in conjunction with the
playback request), 2. after some specified time (perhaps specified in
the request)

And the other requirement:

-Return some arbitrary data (perhaps a pointer), such as the result of
some operation based on speech recognition, to the AS.

 

A related, but much simpler use case exists, where a short spoken input
is recorded and then requested to be played back again over a different
stream.

 

Are the current requirements intended to cover such a use case? If not,
should/could they?

Or is this best covered by the Burke draft?

Thanks

John Haluska

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl