Subject: [Medup] Another project in the area: AutomatedEncryption

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 21:19:10 +0200 (CEST)

Dear MEDUP list

I was made aware of another project in the area of MEDUP: 
https://wiki.gnupg.org/AutomatedEncryption

Though, it looks like not (fully) decentralized, as it uses so called Web 
Key Directory (WKD) as centralized element, which is likely also 
questionable regarding privacy. I have not been able to dig deeper into 
this.

Does anybody know more on this? Are the WKD integral part of in this 
approach or can WKDs also be replaced by a decentralized alternative?

cheers,
  Bernie

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 11:33:46 -0800

> approach or can WKDs also be replaced by a decentralized alternative?

Some of David Mazieres's former students have been working on
a decentralized authenticated mapping service, which may be used
for this sort of application.  They've discussed this in dinrg
in previous meetings and while we don't expect that they'll be in
Montreal we do expect them at IETF 106.  They use Stellar as their
consensus layer.  Draft here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-watson-dinrg-delmap/?include_text=1

Melinda

-- 
Software longa, hardware brevis

PGP key fingerprint  4F68 2D93 2A17 96F8 20F2
                     34C0 DFB8 9172 9A76 DB8F