Subject: wiretapping

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:55:15 -0400

The US FCC issued a notice today about wiretapping requirements.

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/News_Releases/1999/nret9003.html

an excerpt:

  Packet-mode communications: The FCC required that carriers provide LEAs
  access to packet-mode communications by September 30, 2001.
  However, the Commission acknowledged that significant privacy
  issues had been raised with regard to the J-STD-025 treatment of
  packet-mode communications. Under the J-STD-025, law enforcement could be
  provided with access to both call identifying information and call content,
  even where it may be authorized only to receive call
  identifying information. Accordingly, the FCC invited TIA to study CALEA
  solutions for packet-mode technology and report to the FCC by September 30,
  2000 on steps that can be taken, including particular amendments to the
  interim standard, that will better address privacy concerns.

i.e. it looks premature for us to be working on wiretapping functions
(at least relative to the US market) until the TIA study results
are in after September 2000.

Scott

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:54:39 -0500

Scott,

> are in after September 2000.

Take a look at the defininition of packet-mode communications: PSTN voice
channels coming into an MG are anything but packet-mode.  Because they
connect a wireline service they may very well be subject to the ruling for
June 30, 2000.  You won't have to tap web-browsers (dig out the content of
the PPP for a dial-up) or tap ISDN packet-mode services for a while,
perhaps.  Customers of this equipment are definitely getting nervous, so
it needs to be addressed in the scope of the protocol, or risk other
implementations.

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Associate Director - New Products
Inet Technologies Inc.