Subject: reqs-05 changes requested from ITU-T SG16

From: Nancy-M Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:17:17 -0500

Based on comments I received from the ITU-T SG16 meeting in Berlin Aug 2-6,
I will be making the following changes to the requirements draft
<draft-ietf-megaco-reqs-05.txt>. Please note the QUESTIONs below, and help
me answer them.

5.4.  Signal/Event Processing and Scripting
l.   Provide an extension mechanism for implementation defined events and
signals with, for example, IANA registration procedures. [ADD FOLLOWING
SENTENCE:] It may be useful to have an Organizational Identifier (i.e. ITU,
ETSI, ANSI, . . .) as part of the registration mechanism.

5.6.  Test Support
b. Specifically support [DELETE 103, 105, and 108 ] test line operation
[ADD] (e.g. 103, 105, 108).

5.8.  Signalling Control
Establishment and provisioning of signalling backhaul channels (via SIGTRAN
for example is out of scope. [QUESTION: WHY was this marked as out of
scope?]

6.1.  Resource Status Management
c.   Provide a method for the MGC to request that the MG release all
resources [ADD THE FOLLOWING] under the control of a particular MGC [END OF
ADD] currently in use, or reserved, for any or all connections.

6.2.  Resource Assignment
c.   Allow the use of DNS names and IP addresses to identify MGs and
MGCs. [ADD FOLLOWING SENTENCE] This shall not preclude using other
identifiers for MGs or MGCs when other non IP transport technologies for the
protocol are used.

7.2.  Error Control
b.   Allow multiple MGCs to send control messages to an MG. Thus, the
protocol must allow control messages from multiple [DELETE IP] [ADD
signalling]signalling addresses to a single MG.

7.3 MIB Requirements
[ADD c.]
c. H.248 MG MIB must support spirit of H.341 by either the MG, MGC, or both
acting together.

8.2.  Performance Requirements
d.   Support peak calling rates (e.g. in the order of 140 calls/second) at
the MGC on a moderately loaded [DELETE IP] network.

11.  Requirements specific to particular bearer types
Table 1: Bearer Types and Applications

Bearer Type                   Applications       Transit Network
================================================================

[ADD FR]

Multimedia H.323                   H.323 Multimedia       IP, ATM, FR
                                   Gateway and MCU

[REPLACE SS7 with IP, ATM, FR]
Multimedia H.320              H.323 GW and MCU   ISDN, IP, ATM, FR

11.1.1.  Requirements for TDM PSTN (Circuit)

b. Missing  - inconsistent numbering - renumber section

11.1.3.3.  Media adaptation

b.   Allow [ADD AAL1] AAL1/AAL2 multiple narrow-band calls to be mapped to a
single VCC. These calls are differentiated within each VCC by a AAL2 channel
identifier. An AAL2 connection may span more than 1 VCC and transit AAL2
switching devices. ATMF standards are working on an end-to-end AAL2
connection identifier as part of the AAL2 signalling set. [QUESTION: Does
adding the following sentence mean we can delete the previous sentence?] ITU
Q.2630.1 defines an end-to-end identifier the Served User Generated
Reference (SUGR).

11.2.10. Multipoint Control Units

[ADD g.]
g. The ability for the MG to function as an H.323 MP, and for the MGC to
function as an H.323 MC, connected by this protocol (MEGACOP/H.248).  It
should be possible for audio, data, and video MG/MPs to be physically
separate while being under the control of a single MGC/H.323 MC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nancy M. Greene
Internet & Service Provider Networks, Nortel Networks
T:514-271-7221 (internal:ESN853-1077) E:[email-masked]