Subject: I-D posted: Megaco IP Phone MG 01

From: Peter Blatherwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:41:39 -0500

Greetings:

An updated version of the Megaco IP Phone MG I-D has been
submitted as: "draft-ietf-megaco-ipphone-01.txt".

Updates include:
- Added a section on usage of the Megaco protocol ("protocol
  profile", use of transport);
- Alignment of IP Phone packages with the proposed package
  document format;
- Refinement, filling out and clean up of signals, events, and
  other information.

This update is the result of discussion and agreement of the TIA
TR-41.3.4 working group on IP telephones.  TR-41.3.4 represents a
wide cross-section of the industry.  The IP phone "whole device"
standard being produced by TR-41.3.4 allows for both master/slave
(Megaco) and peer-peer (SIP or H.323) types of control as options.
We believe both control approaches are viable, are entirely
compatible at the system level, and are complementary in the
marketplace.  Products supporting both master/slave and peer-peer
approaches will surely exist, so the standard seeks to cover both.

Until the draft appears on the IETF site, it can be found at:
ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/megaco/docs/Wash99/

Regards,
Peter Blatherwick

---

From: Steven Magnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:28:49 -0400

Peter,

A couple of nits on the softkey package.

The keyUp event does not contain the softKeyId, whereas the keyDown event
and both keyUp and keyDown events in the function key package include id as
well as name.

The setting of the softkey nameStr to null as a means of inactivating a
softkey seems non-intuitive since there is a separate command "display"
that actually sets the displayed text. It would seem that clearing the
display associated with the softkeyId should be the inactivation mechanism.
The nameStr seems to be an optional identifier associated with the id. That
also seems true for the indication and function key packages.

The description of the softkey display command is not entirely clear. Does
the softkeyId refer to an individually addressable display, identified by
the softkeyId or does it reference the string, indexed by row and column
within a physical display that may contain text from multiple softkey
"display" commands? If it is the former, then perhaps a clearDisplay
command, like that for the text display package should be added. Also, the
same attributes should be available for the softkey display as are defined
for the text display.

steve magnell
Dialogic