Subject: Wiretapping (was Re: Topology )

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:47:40 -0400

who's wiretapping rules should the standard follow?

since there is no global ruleset it seems a mistake to build in any
specific mechanism into the protocol

Scott

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:32:25 -0700

>specific mechanism into the protocol

We certainly do not have a mandate to build any wiretapping mechanisms. But
hopefully our architecture allows government agencies to do what they
require. The alternative could be that they impose an onerous scheme on
VoIP service providers. I really don't think it's much of a problem to
include the right elements of our protocol architecture though.

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:59:43 -0500

Matt Holdrege wrote:
[snip]
> VoIP service providers.

Yeah, like refusing to allow them to provide service (as in the case originally
cited).  The sure way to ensure that a VoIP call does not escape surveillance
is to restrict anyone providing RTP service, period.

By the way, the laws apply also to pure "data" services.  This is not voice-
specific.  [They're also supposed to be able watch you browse the web if they
have a court order to do so.]

Criminals are users too!

(Assume this e-mail is being read.... ;)

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Associate Director - New Products
Inet Technologies Inc.
972-578-3959