Subject: Re: H248 Adding and Deleting Streams

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:53:37 -0400

Christian

Good observation.

Adding a stream is easy, Modify can do that.
Deleting a stream isn't there.

The simplest way I can imagine defining delete is to
have a value for Mode which is delete.  Then you would
say:

...Modify=<tid>{Media{Stream=3{LocalControl{Mode=Delete}}}}

It's pretty ugly, but it's simple and unambiguous.

We COULD allow Subtract to be stream specific, with a
default of (no stream specified as) delete the termination.
...Subtract=<tid>{Media{Stream=3{}}}
I'm less exited about that than the first alternative.

I think adding a new command is even worse:
...DeleteStream=<tid>{Media{Stream=3{}}

I don't like it because adding a stream is done with Modify
(and should be done with Modify unless you demand that
EVERY   stream, including the first one be done with
something like an AddStream, which breaks all the current
syntax, especially the dictum that audio only be stream
invisible).  Also, modifying a stream is done with Modify.

So, I'm back to mode=delete

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christian Groves [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 8:58 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: H248 Adding and Deleting Streams
>
>
> G'Day all,
>
> I've been checking through the protocol to see if there is a mechanism
> for deleting streams from a termination. The 'subtract'
> command removes
> a termination and all associated stream from a context. The 'modify'
> doesn't allow for deleting an individual or range of streams.
>
> It seems to me that the ability to add and delete individual streams
> from a termination would be a good thing.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas on this?
>
> Cheers, Christian
>

---

From: Rex Coldren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:13:17 -0700

Consider this as a mid-frequency, medium volume hum for the
approach outlined below.  I don't like the new commands idea
at all (too specific to this case), and since Add cannot be used
to add Streams without adding Terminations, Subtract should
not be used to subtract Streams without subtracting Terminations.
Modify can add Streams without adding Terminations and, thus,
seems the logical place for deleting Streams without deleting
Terminations.

Rex