Subject: Packages Conference Call

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:02:25 -0500

Today or tomorrow, all going well, Mike Kallas and his collaborators will
release a draft of the basic packages document which is an essential part of
the Megaco work product.  I am sure this document will need work from the
list to get it into final shape -- I myself don't agree with it entirely.
To help us along, I propose that we have an audio conference early next week
to get a feeling for the group's consensus on a number of policy issues.
This could be followed if necessary by a drafting session next week or the
week after, open to anyone who wants to take part.

What follows is a proposed agenda for the audio conference.  Advance
discussion on the list to prepare the way will be most welcome.  Those who
want to take part in the audio conference please let me know whether Monday
or Tuesday would be better.  I will be in Europe, which will tend to bias me
against starting times later than 3 pm EDT, but you can state preferred time
if you want.

Agenda:

1. Scope of the Basic Packages Document

Is there any special significance to the packages we choose to put in this
document as opposed to another one?
What applications do we cover?
 - carrier only, or enterprise too?
 - lines, trunks, data, text?
 - digital circuit, RTP, ATM AAL1, ATM AAL2, ATM AAL5, FR?

2. Package and Event Definition Policy

Do we try to define a minimum number of events and signals with broad scope
and a number of parameters, or lots of specialized events and signals with
fewer parameters?  (Example: a single recvTone event with parameters
indicating the class(es) of tones to listen for, versus separate events for
DTMF, MF, FAX, data modems, and (maybe) call progress tones.)

Can the same events be defined in different packages?

How do we handle regional variations?

Do we assume the MGC and MG already understand (are mutually provisioned
with) specific tones beyond a single common basic set (e.g. both units
understand what PAT023 means), or do we provide for such provisioning in
Megaco?

Do we define actions which combine signals and events in their behavioural
description, or do we keep things at the atomic level we have inherited from
MGCP?
Example: we could define a "collect" signal(?) which has the following
behavioural specification (not as complete as I'd make it in a real
specification):
 -- apply dial tone to the termination (with the regional variant of dial
tone supplied as a possible parameter)
 -- discontinue dial tone when the first of two events happens: timeout
awaiting first digit (in which case dial tone should be replaced with
reorder tone), or first digit received
 -- collect and report digits according to the supplied digit map, if any
 -- buffer additional digits after the initial report pending further
instructions from the MGC.

4. What Events/Signals And Packages Should We Have?

The specification about to be released has the following packages and events
and signals within them:

Generic audio package
Events: ToneStartDetected, ToneEndDetected, LongToneDetected
Signals: PlayTone, StopTone, DefineTone

Generic DTMF package
Events: ToneDetected, SilenceDetected
Signals: PlayTone, StopTone

Dialpad package
Events: DialpadKeyDown, DialpadKeyUp
Signals: DialpadEcho

Function key package
Events: FunctionKeyDown, FunctionKeyUp
Signals: AssignFunctionKeyName

Indicator package
Events: none
Signals: SetIndicator, SetName

Monochrome text display package
Events: none
Signals: Display, ClearDisplay

Softkey package
Events: KeyDown, KeyUp
Signals: SetName, Display

Trunk generic package
Events: ModemDetected, FAXToneDetected, ReportFailure
Signals: BusyTone, RingingTone, CongestionTone

Trunk supplementary package
Events: ContinuityTest
Signals: ContinuityTone

NAS package
Events: ReportFailure, AuthorisationSucceeded, AuthorisationDenied,
CallbackRequest, AAAFail
Signals: none

RTP package
Events: ReportFailure, QualityAlert
Signals: none
Statistics: the usual

Announcement server package
Events: AnnouncementFailure, AnnouncementCompleted
Signals: AnnouncementPlay

5. Miscellaneous Definitional Issues

  Event/signal configuration vs. event reporting.

  Relationship of event reporting to digit maps -- especially the inclusion
of MF events in our present ABNF.

  What has to go into the packages which indicate the network-specific
characteristics of terminations?

  Meaning of terminationMode: "send" to the exterior or into the context?

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- IPConnect Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- IPConnect Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961

---

From: Nissim Buskila <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:14:06 ASIA/TEL_AVIV

Tom
What about some sort of an IVR package? I guess it might be a part of a bigger
AUDIO package, or just a separate one.

Nissim Buskila.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Agenda:

Generic audio package

Generic DTMF package

Dialpad package

Function key package

Indicator package
Events: none

Softkey package
Events: KeyDown, KeyUp

Trunk generic package

NAS package

RTP package

Tom Taylor

Tom Taylor

____________________________________________________________________
Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1