Subject: Re: GK to MGC interaction

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:31:18 -0400

At 05:49 PM 8/30/99 +0530, Udaya Shankara wrote:
>Hi all,
>          I have a doubt here regarding how an H.323 GK talks to a bunch of
>MGs controlled by a MGC. I assume that the SG functionality is incorporated
>into the MGC and MG. (Is this assumption correct?). Now if the GK wants to
>send some signalling information, how does it do? Does the GK interact with
>the MGC (through H.323) only or does it talk to the MG involved?
>
>          First of all, can the MGC support H.323?  If yes, it means
>conversion of H.323 to MEGACO signals and vice versa. Any info on this will
>be highly appreciated.

I'm afraid you might not get agreement on this either.

In my version of reality, the MGC terminates the H.323 control signaling
and uses Megaco to control the MG appropriately.  The MG uses RTP for the
actual voice transport to the H.323 endpoint.

I've seen other versions of reality, but I left. ;-)

>Thanks and regards,
>Udaya

--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------