Subject: Re: Signal descriptor clarification

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:20:23 -0400

I always understood a signal to be directed to the exterior only.  Can you
give an example of a different case?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christian Groves [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, September 26, 1999 11:00 PM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Signal descriptor clarification
>
> G'Day all,
>
> I've been reading section 7.1.11 Signals Descriptor and I don't think
> its clear what actually happens when a signal is applied.
>
> In some situations the signals should only be sent from a termination
> externally. ie. the other terminations in the context don't see this.
>
> In some situations the signal may need to be echoed to the other
> terminations in the context. I can see this situation in large broadcast
> situations where you need to broadcast to a large number of terminations
> in a synchronised way without having to address each termination with an
> individual command (I don't think wildcarding alone can solve this).
>
> Do we need text clarifying this or an additional indicator for
> direction?
>
> Cheers, Christian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:21:08 +1000

G'Day Tom,

I was thinking of a couple of cases.

One case would be legal intercept (its always the tricky one) that a
signal is applied to a termination or an event received then it must be
echoed to the monitoring termination.

Another case was the announcement machine case (going through the
IPphone thread triggered my thinking). In a broadcast of announcements I
can see the case that to synchronise the playing of announcements it
would be good to broadcast announcements from one termination.  ie.
apply a signal on one termination and many terminations hear it. I don't
think wildcarding would be sufficient in this case as the termIDs would
be pretty much random. It would also save signalling ie. lots of
commands ordering signals. I guess the other benefit would be that it
would be easier for the MG to see that it should only sieze one peice of
hardware.

I was also thinking that there may signals (tones) that both parties
should hear. I think in some markets that Call waiting pips are heard by
both users.

So whilst in these cases the signals may be applied to the exterior,
they may have to traverse the interior of the gateway.

Cheers, Christian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:21:08 +1000

G'Day Tom,

Cheers, Christian

> > Do we need text clarifying this or an additional indicator for
X-Mozilla-Status: 0009