Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:55:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Media Gateway Control Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : MEGACO Protocol
        Author(s)       : F. Cuervo, B. Hill, N. Greene, C. Huitema,
                          A. Rayhan, B. Rosen, J. Segers
        Filename        : draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-04.txt
        Pages           : 106
        Date            : 23-Sep-99

MEGACO defines the protocols used between elements of a physically
decomposed multimedia Gateway consisting of a Media Gateway and a Media
Gateway Controller.  There are no functional differences from a system
view between a decomposed gateway, with distributed sub- components
potentially on more than one physical device, and a monolithic gateway.
This document does not define how gateways, multipoint control units or
integrated voice response units (IVRs) work.  Instead it creates a gen-
eral framework that is suitable for these applications.
Packet network interfaces may include IP, ATM or possibly others.  The
interfaces will support a variety of SCN signaling systems, including
tone signaling, ISDN, ISUP, QSIG, and GSM. National variants of these
signaling systems will be supported where applicable.
The protocol definition in this document is common text with ITU Recom-
mendation H.248.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-04.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 01:32:08 -0500

Brian,

Would it be possible to make the following changes to the v11 (draft-04)
ABNF.  The changes fix the following problems:

o   The ABNF described by RFC2234 uses `/' to indicate alternatives not `|'.
    Please change all `|' to `/'.

o   ABNF (RFC2234) requires whitespace on both sides of the `/'.

o   Correct illegal syntax: continuation lines that don't begin with
    whitespace; product where some software processing the draft output
    stripped backslashes from "\" and truncated to ".

o   Make use of case consistent: although ABNF identifiers are not case
    sensitive, the identifiers of thing that the ABNF may be machine
    translated to (such as bison rules) are.

o   Remove productions that are not referenced in the ABNF.  Useless
    productions have no place in the final standards.

Changes other than changing `|' to `/' are as follows: (line numbers are
line numbers from draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-04.txt)

  Change capitalization of subtractToken to SubtractToken:

    @@ -3339 +3339 @@
    -subtractRequest = subtractToken EQUAL TerminationID [ LBRKT
    +subtractRequest = SubtractToken EQUAL TerminationID [ LBRKT

  Change capitaliation of serviceChangeToken to ServiceChangeToken:

    @@ -3379 +3379 @@
    -serviceChangeRequest = serviceChangeToken EQUAL TerminationID
    +serviceChangeRequest = ServiceChangeToken EQUAL TerminationID

    @@ -3382 +3382 @@
    -serviceChangeReply = serviceChangeToken (commandError /
    +serviceChangeReply = ServiceChangeToken (commandError /

  Remove useless production IPv6prefix:

    @@ -3404 +3403,0 @@
    -IPv6prefix = hexpart SLASH 1*2DIGIT

  Change capitalization of mediaToken to MediaToken:

    @@ -3419 +3418 @@
    -mediaDescriptor = mediaToken LBRKT mediaParm *(COMMA mediaParm) RBRKT
    +mediaDescriptor = MediaToken LBRKT mediaParm *(COMMA mediaParm) RBRKT

  Change illegal syntax "altenativeValue/" to "alternativeValue /":

    @@ -3457 +3456 @@
    -propertyValue = (EQUAL alternativeValue/ INEQUAL VALUE)
    +propertyValue = (EQUAL alternativeValue / INEQUAL VALUE)

  Change capitalization of OctetStringParm to octetStringParm:

    @@ -3467,1 +3466,1 @@
    -OctetStringParm = (SdpToken / extensionParameter)LBRKT OctetString
    +octetStringParm = (SdpToken / extensionParameter)LBRKT OctetString

  Change illegal continuation lines to start with whitespace:

    @@ -3468 +3467 @@
    -RBRKT
    +                RBRKT

    @@ -3499 +3498 @@
    -bufferedEventHandling] RBRKT
    +                      bufferedEventHandling] RBRKT

  Change capitalization of ItemID to ItemId:

    @@ -3512 +3511 @@
    -pkgdName = [ (PackageName / "*")  SLASH ] (ItemID / "*" )
    +pkgdName = [ (PackageName / "*")  SLASH ] (ItemId / "*" )

  Change capitalization of firstembedding to firstEmbedding:

    @@ -3540 +3539 @@
    -embeddedSignalEvents = firstembedding [COMMA firstEmbedding]
    +embeddedSignalEvents = firstEmbedding [COMMA firstEmbedding]

  Remove useless prodcution UINT64:

    @@ -3701 +3699,0 @@
    -UINT64 = 1*20(DIGIT) ; %x0-FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

  Change illegal syntax "SafeChar/" to "SafeChar /":

    @@ -3741,1 +3739,1 @@
    -COMMENT              = ";" *(SafeChar/ RestChar / WSP) EOL
    +COMMENT              = ";" *(SafeChar / RestChar / WSP) EOL

  Change illegal syntax: (backslash truncated by some software...)

    @@ -3707 +3705 @@
    -         "^" / "`" / "~" / "*" / "$" / "
    +         "^" / "`" / "~" / "*" / "$" / "\" /

  Change capitalization of Restchar to RestChar:

    @@ -3742,1 +3740,1 @@
    -Restchar             = ";" / "[" / "]" / "{" / "}" / ":" / "," / "#" /
    +RestChar             = ";" / "[" / "]" / "{" / "}" / ":" / "," / "#" /

  Change capitalization of HandoffToken to HandOffToken:

    @@ -3771 +3768 @@
    -HandoffToken               = ("HandOff"               / "HO")
    +HandOffToken               = ("HandOff"               / "HO")

  Remove the following useless productions (they are never referenced):

    @@ -3753 +3750,0 @@
    -AvgLatencyToken            = ("AverageLatency"        / "AL")
    @@ -3776 +3772,0 @@
    -JitterToken                = ("Jitter"                / "JI")
    @@ -3805 +3800,0 @@
    -OctetsRecvdToken           = ("OctetsReceived"        / "OR")
    @@ -3807 +3801,0 @@
    -OctetsSentToken            = ("OctetsSent"            / "OT")
    @@ -3811,3 +3804,0 @@
    -PktsLostToken              = ("PacketsLost"           / "PL")
    -PktsRecvdToken             = ("PacketsRecived"        / "PR")
    -PktsSentToken              = ("PacketsSent"           / "PS")
    @@ -3843 +3833,0 @@
    -VersionToken               = ("Version"               / "V")

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Associate Director - New Products
Inet Technologies Inc.