Subject: Summary Of Megaco-Related SG 16 Redbank Contributions

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:13:02 -0400

The material which follows summarizes the 27 Redbank contributions which are
relevant to Megaco.  All documents are available both on the Megaco web site
at
ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/megaco/docs/SG16RedBank99/
and on the SG 16 working site at
ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/9910_Red/

Many thanks to Nancy for her share of the summarization job.

APC-1660 Mitel Proposed H.323 Annex L (Stimulus Protocol)
- The protocol described in this document allows a Feature Server to control
various user interface elements of a compliant terminal, such as
*       write to a text display
*       control various types of indicators (such as message waiting or line
lamps)
*       receive user input such as digits, text, special keys (such as
hookswitch and function keys)
*       assign functions to soft keys
*       request application of specific tones
*       specify tones dynamically
Transport of the protocol is H.225 Call Signalling. There seems to be a lot
of detail in this contribution that I would think needs to also be in the
generic display, indicator, function key packages.

APC-1666  Nortel and Siemens - Megaco/H.248 Generic Packages
- This document is actually an earlier version of the packages document than
draft-ietf-megaco-basicpkg-00.txt. All decisions made on the two Packages
conference calls still need to be reflected in this document.

APC-1689  Ericsson - RTP-Text for H.323 Annex G text Conversation
- not directly related to Megaco/H.248
- it is a revision of the RTP Payload description for Text Conversation.
It is being handled in the avt group of IETF, and is currently found in
ietf-draft-avt-rtp-text-01.txt
In the ietf-drafts area.

APC-1691  Ericsson - H.248 packages and additions for text telephony and
  total conversation
- Proposal: Include the first part of the document as a text conversation
annex to H.248 and update the examples section in H.248 with the second
part.
- proposes a package for V.18

APC-1692  Motorola - Using SCTP as an Alternate H.248 Transport
- proposes an annex for using SCTP as an alternate H.248 transport

APC-1695  IETF Megaco WG - Megaco/H.248 Reqs - Communication from IETF
- draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-07.txt, as well as documentation of changes
made based on Berlin requests for changes.

APC-1710  Lucent - Changes to H.248 to allow use in non-IP environments
- proposes the following change:
mId = (domainAddress | domainName) [":" portNumber] | deviceName
by
mId = [networkType] networkAddressOrName
networkType = (IP4 / IP6 / ATM)
networkAddressOrName = OctetString

APC-1711  Lucent,TechKnowWare - ASN.1 Syntax definition for H.248
- the compiled ABNF is different from the ABNF in v11. More tags are added,
there are extra brackets, can't limit the number of times a parameter can
occur, maybe more

APC-1712  Lucent,Ericsson,Tech-Know-Ware H.248/Megaco Structured Message
  Encoding using a Text Line Format
- describes how ASN.1 can be modified to provide text encoding
- intended to replace existing draft of H.248 Annex A

APC-1713  LM Ericsson H.248 Line Encoding
- proposes that ASN.1 BER be used for binary encoding instead of PER

APC-1714   LM Ericsson H.248 IANA consideration for Package extension
- adds PackageTag, PropertyTag, EventTag, ParameterTag, SignalTag,
StatisticsTag
- provides text to allow a subset implementation of a package to be allowed
- proposes a range of PackageTags that are reserved for private use

APC-1715   LM Ericsson H.248 Signal Direction
- proposes that signals be assigned a direction so that they can be applied
outwards, and/or inwards. It claims: "Basically, each termination or stream,
has two directions, i.e. towards the network or towards other terminations
or streams within the same context.", and gives examples of use.

APC-1716   LM Ericsson Cause Handling in H248
Proposes a package with one event, which provides notification that a
failure has occurred along with general and specific cause codes.

APC-1717   LM Ericsson H.248 Functional Outage
Proposes a "functionoutage" ServiceChange reason, to be used to report state
change of a function associated with a termination, a group of terminations,
or ROOT.  The function affected is supposed to be described by a media,
modem, mux, events, or signals descriptor.

APC-1718   LM Ericsson H.248 ServiceChange
Proposes that the MGC be able to use ServiceChange to reset a individual
termination.  Proposes that the designation of the alternate MGC address to
try in the ServiceChange command be made transport-independent.   Proposes
that all parameters of the ServiceChange Descriptor be optional.  Proposes
additional ServiceChange reasons, with implied semantics in the handling of
affected terminations.

APC-1719   LM Ericsson Monitoring in H248
Adds text to indicate that a one-way connection set up by the topology
descriptor must be implemented such that it does not degrade the media
streams passed to other parties (e.g. through addition of delay).

APC-1720   LM Ericsson H.248 Event Enhancements
Proposes to add On/Off, Timeout, and Once semantics to events, similar to
the semantics defined for signals except that the semantic qualifiers are
included in the event descriptor rather than being specified by the
definition of the event.

APC-1721   LM Ericsson H.248 Multiple Virtual MG Enhancements
Adds text to enhance the description of Virtual MGs provided in section 11.1
of the latest draft.

APC-1735   Editors (John Segers, Brian Rosen) Draft H.248
Corresponds to our draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-05.txt.

APC-1736   FORE Systems H.248 Transport for ATM
Proposes ALF/AAL5 and SSCOP/AAL5 transport annexes for H.248 when the
control messaging is carried over ATM rather than IP.

* APC-1743   Q.14 Rapporteur Resolving References to IETF Documents in H.248
Not received yet -- probably just housekeeping.

* APC-1744   Lucent MG initiated call disconnect
Proposes to allow the MG to send a SubtractRequest to the MGC to support NAS
operation.  Proposes also to add a cause code to the statistics descriptor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nancy M. Greene
Internet & Service Provider Networks, Nortel Networks
T:514-271-7221 (internal:ESN853-1077) E:[email-masked]

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- IPConnect Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961

---

From: Bilalis Zacharias <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:30:11 +0200

Most of the changes decided at the first conference call have been
incorporated in the APC-1666 

Best Regards 

Zacharias Bilalis

SIEMENS ICN WN CS EC D12
> Schertlinstr. 8
> D-81359 Muenchen
> Germany
Tel: + 49 89 722 28391
Fax: + 49 89 722 61243
Mail to: [email-masked] 

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:  Tom-PT Taylor [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Gesendet am:  Donnerstag, 14. Oktober 1999 04:13
> An:   [email-masked]
> Betreff:      Summary Of Megaco-Related SG 16 Redbank Contributions
>