Subject: Re: AW: AW: Basic Package and NAS

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:45:42 -0400

> The MG
> >doesn't send Subtract or Modify messages to the MGC.  There is no
> >"disconnect" message in Megaco.
>
> Isn't disconnect the same things as subtract?
>
> The MG must be allowed to choose to disconnect (or subtract)
> on it's own.
>
There is no provision for the MG to disconnect (or
subtract) a termination except on actual failure of the
termination.  ServiceChange(forced) is used to
notify the MGC of such a failure.  This is expected to
be used in true failure of the hardware (or software),
not a routine event like AAA authentication denial.

The correct way to handle this case is an event, which
would cause the MGC to Subtract the Termination.

The model we have is that the MGC has all the call state,
and the MGC has very little state at all.  Anything that
affects call state should be communicated to the MGC for it
to take action.  The MG should never take action on it's
own except for irretrievable failure.

Brian

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:46:58 -0700

>own except for irretrievable failure.

I understand that to be the optimal case for telephony gateways. But
in the early days of MEGACO I recall pushing for allowing more
intelligent gateways to be built which MAY choose to have more control
over their destiny. I don't recall anyone saying this shouldn't be
allowed. I do recall people saying they wanted the model that you
mentioned which is fine as long as you don't exclude others.

You guys seem to be unaware of the fact that all the NAS's in the
world today are already intelligent and have state. That simply is
not going to change anytime soon. Neither are the ISP procedures that
utilize all those NAS's (in most cases).

In all the 1000-odd emails on this list I must have missed where
the balance of control was taken away. I guess I'm saying it needs to
be put back in or you will ultimately remove NAS's from the scope of
MEGACO. NAS's will then have to continue to use Q.931+ or IPDC which allow
the NAS to have some control and MGC's will have to very
multilingual.