Subject: FAX and Modem Package for MEGACO Protocol

From: Roy Spitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:03:47 -0400

The FAX and Modem Package for MEGACO Protocol has been placed on the Nortel
server at
ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/megaco/docs/wash99/draft-ietf-megaco-fax-
modem-00.txt

This is the same document that was sent Friday October 22, 1999 to the
MEGACO list.  I was not aware all the document submission procedures so the
document was not place on the IETF site before the deadline with the proper
name of draft-spitzer-megaco-fax-modem-00.txt.

The document will be presented at the November IETF.  All comments are
welcome.

Regards,
Roy

Roy Spitzer                             Telogy Networks, Inc.
Phone:  (301) 515-6531                  20250 Century Blvd.
Fax:    (301) 515-7954                  Germantown, MD 20874
Email:  [email-masked]

---

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:07:36 -0500

So far I've seen several I-Ds that have been submitted with the file name
"draft-ietf...".  These are I-Ds that don't remember seeing before.

It is my understanding that the only I-Ds that start as "draft-ietf..." are
Megaco working documents.

Tom, could you clarify which documents are Megaco working documents and
which are individual submissions.

I'd also like to request that everyone read the guidelines for submitting
documents.

Chip
Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gunnar Hellstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:40:33 +0200

I have briefly studied the fax and modem package draft, and realize that we
have some collisions to resolve between the text telephone package, the fax
package, the modem package and even with the basic packages.

For the PSTN user, the ideal function would of course be to perform the call
as usual with no knowledge that the remote fax or textphone is in the IP
network or beyond.

Answering MG
-------------
For that to be handled properly, a call must be identified as a voice call,
a text telephone call, a fax call or a modem call. A calling fax should be
easily discriminated by its 1100 Hz CNG tone, but some modems use the same
1300 Hz calling tone as the textphones. Further analysis must take place,
and that requires an active V.18 modem and data modem on the line.

Calling MG
----------
When the MG calls out, it is hopefully known that the call is intended for
reaching a voice phone, a text phone, a fax or a modem. If not, we need also
here make refined discrimination. Faxes, Modems and many text telephones
usually start answering with ANS.  ( called CNG in the fax spec, but it is
the same 2100 Hz tone)   A discrimination after that is needed.

There is also a possibility that a V.8 bis negotiation is the first thing
that should take place.

All these issues point at the need to have at least some modem functionality
on the lines as soon as they are prepared to handle calls. And it also
points at the need to design the textphone, fax, modem and basic packages in
one go, for good co-existence.

The text telephone package for PSTN was proposed in the Red Bank ITU meeting
in document TD-55a together with a Text Conversation Package for other text
connections than PSTN.

It is the intention that it should be entered merged with the basic packages
for IETF Washington.

Best regards

Gunnar Hellström

------------------------Original Message-----------------------------------

Regards,
Roy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
Gunnar Hellstrom
LM Ericsson

E-mail [email-masked]
Tel +46 8 556 002 03
Mob +46 708 204 288
fax +46 8 556 002 06