Subject: Stopping BR signals

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:29:01 -0500

There has been discussion of treating BR signals as follows:

      * BR signals are stopped on receipt of a SignalDescriptor without
        that signal in it.

      * If the MGC wants the BR signal to continue, it includes the BR
        signal in the subsequent SignalDescriptor.

This causes a synchronization problem between the MGC and MG.  The same
problem exists for TO signals but there is less of a glare window.

The problem is that the MGC doesn't really know if the BR signal is playing
or not.  If the MGC doesn't want to interrupt a BR signal, it has to
include the BR signal in the SignalDescriptor.  However if the MG has
already finished playing the BR signal when it receives the
SignalDescriptor, the result is that the BR signal is played twice.

I don't see any way to fix this for brief signals given the treatment being
proposed on the list.

If BR signals are played to completion, then this problem doesn't
exist.  Instead there is the concern that the MGC can't turn off a BR signal.

My feeling is that if the MGC shouldn't start BR signals it doesn't want to
run to completion.

Chip
Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------