Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-megaco-reqs-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:01:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Media Gateway Control Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Media Gateway Control Protocol Architecture and
                          Requirements
        Author(s)       : N. Greene, M. Ramalho,  B. Rosen
        Filename        : draft-ietf-megaco-reqs-08.txt
        Pages           : 45
        Date            : 22-Oct-99

TThis document describes protocol requirements for the Media Gateway control protocol between a Media Gateway Controller and a Media Gateway.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-megaco-reqs-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-megaco-reqs-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-megaco-reqs-08.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Petros N. Mouchtaris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:47:44 -0400

Tom, Nancy,

A couple of questions:

Is the requirements document considered baselined at this point. If it is not
baselined, is there still a plan to baseline it (move it to last call status)?

Is my assumption correct that the final MEGACO protocol will support all
requirements that are in the requirements document?

Thanks.

Petros

[email-masked] on 10/25/99 07:01:02 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Petros N. Mouchtaris/Telcordia)
Subject:  I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-megaco-reqs-08.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Media Gateway Control Working Group of the
IETF.

TThis document describes protocol requirements for the Media Gateway control
protocol between a Media Gateway Controller and a Media Gateway.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:

mailto:[email-masked]
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-megaco-reqs-08.txt

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:14:52 -0500

I definitely intend to move the requirements to last call.  I'll check the
formalities for doing so.

As I understand it, we have to meet our requirements before the IESG will
approve our protocol.  Brian Rosen has already pointed out spots where we
may fall short.  Something has to give.  This should be a good discussion
topic for the meeting.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Petros N. Mouchtaris [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 8:48 AM
> To:   Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B904-I:EXCH]; Greene, Nancy-M [CAR:5N10:EXCH]
> Cc:   [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject:      Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-megaco-reqs-08.txt
>
>
>
> Tom, Nancy,
>
> A couple of questions:
>

---

From: Nancy-M Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:50:09 -0400

Please find the latest requirements draft  (-08) at:

ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/megaco/docs/latest/

(be sure to refresh your browser to see it)

It is also available from the public Internet-drafts directory (see below).

The main differences between reqs-08 and reqs-07 are:
- in 11.2.3, requirements added for trunking/access gateway with fax ports
(based on request from ITU-T SG8):

11.2.3 Trunking/Access Gateway with fax ports
a.      A trunking/access gateway with fax ports has these requirements:the
protocol must be able to indicate detection of fax media
b.      the protocol must be able to specify T.38 for the transport of the
fax.
c.      the protocol must be able to specify G.711 encoding for transport of
fax tones across a packet network.

- in 11.2.9, the word Audio Server was removed, and replaced by the more
general term
Audio Enabled Gateway
- in 11.2.9, digit collection was qualified to be DTMF digit collection
- In Section 11.2.9.1, parts d and e on sequences and sets reworked to
eliminate the implementation specific language
- In Section 11.2.9.1 parts f, g, h removed
- reordering of sections, putting Audio Conferencing at the end
- requirements added to sections 11.2.9.5 and 11.2.9.6

Section 11.2.9 is identical to the text I sent out in an email last week. I
received no further comments on it.

Nancy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nancy M. Greene
Internet & Service Provider Networks, Nortel Networks
T:514-271-7221 (internal:ESN853-1077) E:[email-masked]

> ----------
> From:         [email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:         Monday, October 25, 1999 7:01 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> TThis document describes protocol requirements for the Media Gateway
> control protocol between a Media Gateway Controller and a Media Gateway.
>