Subject: Response from Service Change

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:36:51 -0400

Chuong Nguyen [[email-masked]] pointed out
a problem to me:

What happens if you take a group of terminations out of
service with ServiceChange using a wildcard?

Do you get a response for each termination that matches the
wildcard?  Is that what you want?

The simple case of the whole gateway, using root, is
easy, you get one response.

A trunk gateway with an OC3 going down is another story.

I see 3 choices:
        Leave it, accept the zillion response messages
        Allow ServiceChange to return a terminationIDList
                of all terminations that match
        Just say you only ever get one response, which
                matches what you sent (wildcard response)

Please remember, your answer may affect what the next
guy wants to do with an audit response using a wildcard!

Brian

---

From: Abdallah Rayhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 16:28:44 -0400

This is an interesting problem, thanks to wildcard.

Zillion responses is out of the question, if TCP is slow as being
argued before, this is a killer.

Wildcard response leads to strings optimization which introduces
delay. On the other hand, TerminationIDList seems be lengthy
in some cases.

If we assume that a terminationID string length is 10 bytes in average,
and the MG/MGC supports/controls 1k-10k terminations, then we are
looking into 11k-110k byte transaction, not to mention few bytes for
the header. What is the average segment length ? Here where we will
disagree, but for the sake of argument, say 5k. Then we are looking into
2-22 segments. Wildcard optimization may not be bad after all but we
must allow temrinationIDList as well for cases where wildcard calculation
is expensive.

The ROOT is general and may not apply to all cases.

My choice: is to allow wildcard and terminationIDList in service change reply.

In case of audit, if the MGC decides to know what terminations exist,
then there is no other way but to flood it with all terminations it asked for
and no wildcards in this case.

Probably, we need to point out in the MEGACO document that these kind
of cases generate traffic bursts and should be handled with caution of the
request side.

Abdallah Rayhan