Subject: Interaction between Signals, Events and Mode

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:41:45 -0400

As far as I can tell there is no text in the current draft that specifies
the relationship between a SignalDescriptor and the Mode parameter or an
EventDescriptor and Mode parameter.

For example, what happens when a Signal (e.g., dial tone) is applied to a
termination with the Mode set to ReceiveOnly?

And, what happens when an event (e.g., look for dialtone) is applied to a
termination with the Mode set to SendOnly.

In the SG16 meeting, I am proposing to add text that states that the Signal
and Event Descriptors are independent of the Mode.  That is, a termination
acts on the EventDescriptor and SignalDescriptor regardless of the setting
of the Mode.

Some of you may have different assumptions as to how this works, so please
speak up if you do.

Keep in mind of course that signals and events like "wink" and "offhook"
don't really have any relevance to Mode anyway.

Chip

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------