Subject: Streams and Topology

From: David Shrader <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:45:57 -0400

I've been reading the MEGACO protocol 04 internet draft and have a couple of
questions that seem to be unanswered in the document.

1. A termination can have multiple streams attached to it. It appears to me that
the stream id is local to the termination and doesn't have any wider
significance. If there is one stream (i.e., audio-only) is obvious how to handle
the situation when two terminations are assigned the same context. However, it
is not clear to me how to map two streams between the two terminations.

My first thought is that it could also be obvious based on the characteristics
of the streams. However, this isn't possible if there are two audio streams (one
in English and one in Spanish, for example).

How are streams mapped between terminations within a context?

2. The topology descriptor in general seems to be underspecified in this
document. The text indicates that it can be included with an Add command, yet
there is no parameter in the description of the Add command. Then, as an
extension of the above question, it is not clear, how to specify stream mapping
to terminations. For example, for one termination, there may be an audio stream
and a video stream. Yet, on one of the terminations, there may only be a desire
for the audio stream, so there would be a need to specify that only one of the
streams passes through to that termination in a bothway mode.

Any thoughts on these questions?

David

_____________________________________________________________
David Shrader ([email-masked])
Telcordia Technologies, formerly Bellcore
Network Intelligence Consulting and Engineering

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:18:32 -0400

See below.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Shrader [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 10:46 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Streams and Topology
>
        [[TomT]]
        StreamIds are local to a context, not just to a termination.  If we
don't say so now, we should.  Editors please note.

> streams passes through to that termination in a bothway mode.
        [[TomT]]
        We looked to SG 16 to finish documenting topology -- they're the
ones who will use it.