Subject: RTP for carriage of DTMF and other events: call for review

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:52:21 -0400

We are trying to finish up the tones/telephone-events-over-RTP draft and
would very much appreciate comments from those in the audience with
(CAS) telephone signaling expertise. In particular, I'd like comments on
the correctness of the material in section 3.14.

You can find the current draft at
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/drafts/draft-ietf-avt-tones-02.ps or
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/drafts/draft-ietf-avt-tones-02.pdf
(An ASCII version will be prepared for the I-D deadline.)

To avoid further delays, comments that could be folded in by the Friday
I-D deadline are particularly appreciated.

Thank you.
--
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Marty Borden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 14:12:35 -0400

Henning

I believe the material in 3.14 for T1 and ITU-T recommendations

is correct.  The encoding is also reasonable.

I was somewhat bothered by the use of the acronym CAS

for "CPE Alerting Signal", sect 3.12, so I went to look up
the

reference given.  While the alerting signals do indeed exist,

the section of GR-303-Core referenced does not exist and the

term "CPE Alerting Signal" is never used, as far as I can
tell.

I suggest dropping the parenthetical acronym CAS, removing

the section number in the reference, and possibly referencing

Bellcore TR-NWT-000057, Functional Criteria for Digital Loop

Carrier Systems, Issue 2, January 1993,

since most of the GR-303 instances of alerting refer back to

TR 57.

Also, the GR-303-CORE is referenced in text but does not appear

in references at the end.

marty

At 02:52 PM 10/21/99 , Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

We are trying to finish up the
tones/telephone-events-over-RTP draft and

(CAS) telephone signaling expertise. In particular, I'd like comments
on

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/drafts/draft-ietf-avt-tones-02.ps
or

Thank you.

--