Subject: Re: Signals

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:15:59 -0500

At 10:19 AM 10/29/99 -0500, Peter Blatherwick wrote:

>My understanding, based on discussion, is:  The signal replacement rule is
>applicable to signals that have duration, such as playing of tones and
>announcements.  Many signals are "immediate" and have no duration, such as
>going on/off hook, turning on/off indicators, updating display.  The
>latter class of signals would NOT be wiped out (ie display not cleared,
>indicators not turned off) by a new SignalsDescriptor.  Correct?
>
>Sure.  If a BR signal finished between the time you played it and you sent
>a new one we don't rewind the media stream :).  If it's over in a
>millisecond, the issue doesn't arise.
>Agreed then.  "Immediate" signals are not affected by arrival of a new
>SignalsDescriptor unless it contains some explicit action (explicitly
>clears display, etc).

I hope you are saying that on-hook and off-hook have duration.  That is,
they are OO events.  This is why OO events should only be turned off
explicitly.

BTW, there should be very few OO events.

Sounds like what you are calling "immediate" is what I am calling "OO".

>-- Peter Blatherwick

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------