Subject: Washington Issue 7 - Generic Error Event

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:59:23 -0500

A number of issues were raised in the Washington meeting that
were "send to the list".  This is one of these issues, with the
problem and my suggested fix.

Problem:
There needs to be an event which the MG can send that indicates
that a failure has occurred that is less significant than
a ServiceChange would warrant, but the MGC needs to respond
to with a Subtract.   This event should have a parameter
which indicates why it was invoked.

Proposed Solution:

Package Termination Failure
PackageID tfail (0x00??)
Provides a general purpose error code for a failure which
requires that the MGC subtract the termination, but does not
require the Termination be taken out of service

Properties:
None

Events:
TerminationFailure
        EventID: tfail, 0x0001
        Detects an non recoverable error on a termination that does
        not require the termination be taken out of service

        EventDescriptor parameters:
                None
        Notify parameters:
                Termination Failure Error Code
                        ParameterID: Error (0x0001)
                        Type: integer
                        Possible values: entry in an IANA registered
                                list of error codes
                Additional Information
                        ParameterID: AddlInfo (0x0002)
                        Type: string
                        Possible Values: additional diagnostic
                                information.

Brian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:19:34 +0100

G'Day all,

I think this should be added to a specific package for NAS.

As it stands below it is too general. The MGC should do the subtract
based on an event depending on an application.

Cheers, Christian

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:19:59 -0800

If it's too general, why would you add it to the NAS package? It doesn't
hurt to have a general error event. Having one doesn't stop you from
defining applications specific error events. It meets a basic requirement
to have a simple interoperable way for the MG to raise a red flag.

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:14:26 +0100

Putting it an a package would make it specific. I wouldn't call it
Generic Error event in the NAS package. I would make it specific to the
event detect/generated by the MG.

We already have a method for the MG to raise a Red flag its called the
'servicechange'. Perhaps a new reason/method here is more appropriate.

I'm not sure we want to continue to proliferate IANA maintained lists in
the H248. We have IANA lists for: packages, command error codes, service
change reasons and then there will be multiple IANA lists defined in
packags. A question: are there other protocols that generate so many
IANA registered lists? What is IANA's view?

Tom: Do we need to approach IANA to let them know what we are doing?

Brian: you mentioned that each transport would a generic error event?
What do you have in mind here? Sending up the cause code from a bearer
failure?

Cheers, Christian