Subject: Q.BICC

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:36:57 -0500

FYI,
SG11 in ITU is working on a new protocol called Q.BICC (Bearer Independent
Call Control) that is somewhat related to megaco and sigtran
architectures.  If you are interested, you should check out the work going
on in Q12 of SG11.  There has been a fair amount of traffic on the tsg11q12
mail list (unfortunately you have to be a sector member of ITU and have a
TIES account to subscribe to this list).

Their first goal is to get a signaling protocol for ATM, but they have IP
on their agenda for the next phase.  Their overall architecture looks
similar to the architectural picture Henry sent out.

At least one influential person on that committee is questioning whether
H.248 is appropriate for use in their application.

Unfortunately, ITU policy forbids me from making the draft of Q.BICC
available to this list; however, you can go to the following URL and search
for BICC:
http://www.t1.org/index/0708.htm

Also, the following has some descriptive material (500 Kbytes):
ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/9910_Red/TD-35.zip

Chip

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------