Subject: Graceful termination of signals

From: David Cromwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:40:50 -0500

The use case here is a conference, an open-ended conference of indeterminant
length.  A record signal has been applied to one of the endpoints in the
conference.  The record signal is a TO signal, but in this case I've
specified a large enough timeout so that I am sure to capture all of the
conference.

Given this situation I want to be able to terminate the record signal in one
of two ways.  The first is that I decide I no longer want to record the
conference, and I want to abort the signal and throw away the recording.  I
would probably do this with an empty signal list.

The second is that I want to terminate the record signal in such a way as to
save the recording and return the id of the recording to the MGC, i.e. I
want the behavior you would expect from a timed recording signal when the
timer expires, but in this case the timer has not yet expired.

One way to do this would be to signal an "end signal" event or maybe an
"audiocomplete" event which would cause the record signal to terminate
normally.  However I don't believe that the protocol currently allows this.

Is there any way given the current definitions of events and signals to do
this?

Thanks,
David
--
[email-masked]                                          Nortel
Networks
ESN:            351-8870
35 Davis Dr
Public:    919-991-8870
RTP, NC 27709