Subject: Re: Washington Issue 22 - Root Package

From: Prashant Jain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:42:58 +0530

My comments below:

Hello Prakash,

> 1. Provisional Response timer: This timer is used by the MG to send
provisional
> responses to the MGC. This timer would be based on the value
> normalMGExecutionTime.
>
> 2. Retry timer: This timer is used by MG to wait for a reply for commands send
> by MG to MGC (example, Notify, ServiceChange etc). This timer would be based
on
> the value of  normalMGCExecutionTime.
>
> >>> <PJ> Don't we need the above two timers to be run by MGC,
> ProvisionalResponseTimers, taking into account normalMGCexcutionTime, to send
> TransactionPending Responses to MG and Retry Timers, taking into account
> normalMGExecutionTime.

Yes.

> 2. Assuming that there is a need for ProvsionalResponseTimer, it can be used
for
> only one purpose, that is either to derive value for Provisional Response
Timer
> or the value for Retry Timer and NOT both. The text seems to suggest that the
> variable gets initialised to "normalMGExecutionTime or normalMGCExecutionTime
as
> appropriate". My point is that it can be initialised to just one of them.
>
> <PJ> How ProvisionalTimerValue can be used to calculate  Retry Timer. Its not
> clear.

If the ProvisionalTimerValue is initialised to normalMGCExecutionTime then it
can be
used to derive Retry Timer.

<PJ> I think if we are running a ProvisionalResponseTimer on MG side, it would
be set to normalMGExecutionTime, however on MGC, it would be set to
normalMGCExecutionTime. In other words, the ProvisionalResponseTimer shall not
be global for MG and MGC.

If this argument holds, then how can Retry Timer (say, at MGC) be set to
ProvisionalResponseTimer, since ProvisionalTimer at MGC shall be set to
normalMGCExecutionTime. However for RTT calculation at MGC, one would take into
account the normalMGExecutionTime.

The same holds true for MG.

Regards,

Prashant Jain.

Regards,
Harpreet

_________________________________
Harpreet Singh Anand
Ficon Technology
E-mail :  mailto:[email-masked]
Web    :  http://www.ficon-tech.com

---

From: Harpreet Singh Anand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:24:37 +0530

Hello Prashant,

> be set to normalMGExecutionTime,

Yes.
(I am assuming that when you are saying ProvisionalResponseTimer you are referring
to the property in the Root package.)

> however on MGC, it would be set to
> normalMGCExecutionTime.

MGC side will have a provisional timer running but it will not have any property
named ProvisionalResponseTimer.

normalMGExecutionTime, normalMGCExecutionTime and ProvisionalResponseTimer are
properties in the Root package which gets applied to the Root termination of the MG.
Hence, these are the properties of MG only. These are NOT the properties of MGC.

Hence the timer that MGC would be running may be based on normalMGCExecutionTime (or
any local value at MGC) but as such MGC does not have any property named
ProvisionalResponseTimer.

> In other words, the ProvisionalResponseTimer shall not

There is no ProvisionalResponseTimer property at MGC. It exists only on MG.

> If this argument holds,

No it does not. See above.

> then how can Retry Timer (say, at MGC) be set to

Regards,
Harpreet