Subject: Washington Issue 18 - Wildcard Subtract

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:12:54 -0500

A number of issues were raised in the Washington meeting that
were "send to the list".  This is one of these issues, with the
problem and my suggested fix.

Problem:
There is no way to express deleting all terminations that are part of a
multichannel physical interface.  The issue is that
you can construct a wildcard terminationID, but they will be
in multiple contexts.  Wildcard of ContextID in Subtract is not
currently allowed

Proposed Solution
Allow ALL in ContextID of Subtract.

Brian

---

From: Wai-tak Siu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:37:54 -0800

Brian,
    From the proposed solution, I suppose this ALL context ID does not
apply to the NULL context, since terminations cannot be removed from the
NULL context.
    If so, when an MGC wants to apply a digit map to all the terminations,
it will have to generate two actions, one for the terminations in the NULL
context, and the other for the terminations in ALL other contexts. In fact,
the definition of ALL for context ID is not stated clearly in the protocol.

    Thanks.
Waitak

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:28:46 +0100

G'Day Brian,

I thought this was already in the base protocol. In the ASN1 contextID =
ALL. If not then we should add it.

Cheers, Christian

---

From: Michael Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 14:21:12 -0500

I didn't remember that ALL was allowed in the ASN.1 so I just took a quick
look and indeed it is.  I do, however, wonder about the use of it in the
original problem description. That is, it seems that ALL is too broad to do
the removal of all terminations for a multichannel physical interface.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but it would seem that ALL  used in a SUBTRACT
would remove the terminations and take down ALL the contexts on the MG. I
guess I just don't see how this applies to the problem described.

Assuming that the description of the behavior of ALL is correct, wouldn't
this kind of function be better handled with ServiceChange? I guess the
question is do we really need ALL wildcarding for context ids in subtract?

Michael