Subject: Washington Issue 2 - Controlling Output of Audit

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:13:13 -0500

A number of issues were raised in the Washington meeting that were "send to
the
list". This is one of these issues, with the problem and my suggested fix.

Problem: If you wildcard an audit request, you get one response per
terminationID that matches the wildcard.  In many cases, this is not what
you desire, what you want is a "wildcard response".

Proposed Solution:
If an Audit command is prefixed with "W-" (similar to Optional), the
resultant response is the UNION of the values of the terminations to which
it applies.  Where there are multiple possible values in the union, the
value is expressed as a list of values ({value, value, value} in text
encoding).  The TerminationID returned is the same as that expressed in the
command.

Please note:
This seems like a simple change, but it may make a lot of edits to the
ABNF & ASN.1.  Yet, it seems to be the simplest answer to the problem.

This command would be part of an initialization sequence in conjunction with
the
TerminationIDNamePattern.  The MGC would send one of these Audit commands
per pattern to find out what that set of terminations could do.

---

From: Abdallah Rayhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:25:22 -0500

Brian,

"W-" is a good idea but it needs to be refined. UNION is not a useful
operation. When describing two types of terminations which have
different values, what union brings is information that is difficult to extract

and decide which one belongs to which. A better approach would be to
associate the values with wildcarded terminations, e.g.,
{AB*{x,y,z},CD*{g,h,j}}. ATM temrinations have such and such, Ephemeral
terminations have such and such. The "*" use is part of what you call
TerminationIDNamePattern. This would make the information returned by
audit usable and extractable by the MGC.

Abdallah Rayhan

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:05:42 +0100

G'Day Abdallah,

I think the Union (Logical Or) is exactly what we want. Its used to
minimise the amount of information being passed back to the MGC.

If you want properties per type of termination then wildcard only that
range.

Cheers, Christian