Subject: questions on digit maps and digit timers

From: Wai-tak Siu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:44:22 -0800

Hi,
    I understand that Brian proposed an alternative way to digitmap
descriptors, but he did not address the confusing descriptions of the
digit timers.
    In section 7.1.13 DigitMap Descriptor, the third item "If the
DigitMap specifies that a variable number of ..." on short digit timer
(a variable number of digits needed) seems to conflict with the second
item on long timers (at least one more digit is needed for a match).
From the sample digitmap at the end of the section, the short timer is
used when no more digits are needed to provide a match. Therefore, the
third item is wrong.
    Besides, I don't see the reason to specify the type of digit timers
in the digitmaps (i.e. to use S or L in the digitmaps) because the
protocol defines where a specific timer should be used. In particular,
the long digit timer in the middle of a pattern is unnecessary from long
timer's definition. We still need a timer identifier ('T' or something)
to indicate if a timer is needed at the end of a pattern. If needed,
this is a short timer by definition.
    Also, version 12 does not mention how digit timers should be used if
digit maps are not used in collecting digits (e.g. event action is
accumulate other than digitmap). Brian proposed to get rid of Action
indicator in the Event descriptor. However, an MGC can still requests
the gateway to notify digits one by one, or notify the first digit and
accumulate/quarantine the rest.
    Thanks.
Waitak
Cisco Systems