Subject: command received before ServiceChange ack'ed

From: Wai-tak Siu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:40:11 -0800

Hi,
    Annex D.1.6 Fighting the restart avlanche defines the restart
procedure. It states that the gateway should generate a restart
ServiceChange to the MGC when either the restart timer expires or a
local user activity is detected. Suppose a restart ServiceChange is
sent, and the MGC generates a response, which is lost in transit. Right
after the response, the MGC generates a Modify to request some
termations to watch for certain events. Because the restart procedure is
not completed (the gateway has not received the response to the
ServiceChange command yet), how should the gateway deal with this
command? There are a few alternatives:
1. The gateway ignore the message and continue with the restart
procedure.
2. The gateway rejects the message.
3. The gateway process the Modify command and retransmit the restart
ServiceChange followed by the TransactionReply together in one message,
making sure the MGC sees the ServiceChange first.
    The same question applies when a command is received before any
ServiceChange is sent to the MGC.
    Thanks.
Waitak
Cisco Systems