Subject: Re: reqs-07: updated 11.2.9 Audio Resource Function

From: "John A. Voelker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:49:35 -0600

Nancy,

As a supplement to what is now in section 11.2.9 "Audio Resource Function",  we
need a means of referencing command sets that use external protocols specialized
to this kind of audio resource functionality.  For example, reference VoiceXML
(see http://www.voicexml.org/) commands. (I believe the W3C is or may do some
work in this area.)  Specialized protocols like VoiceXML will
likely provide finer grained control and evolve faster than Megaco can evolve
its own audio resource package. Especially since audio resource management lives
near the edges of the scope of a gateway control protocol.  Also, it would be
desirable for voice control on gateways to be able to use the same voice control
commands as will be used on non-gateway devices which we cannot presume will all
adapt Megaco control.

Obviously, we would not require MGs to support any or all of these auxilliary
protocols.

We need a way for the MGC to reference the name of a specialized voice protocol
(e.g. VoiceXML or others) followed by a delimited set of in-line commands
writtern  according to that specified protocol.  That is, permit an escape to a
foreign protocol.

Another possiblity - I am less comfortable with this - is to permit a pointer to
an  external block of commands written according to the referenced specialized
protocol. For Voice XML, a URI could serve as the pointer.

VoiceXML is mentioned here as an example.  Others possibilities could be added.
(I can not speak to the intellecual property issues regarding VoiceXML itself.
In fact, several  companies may have VoiceXML IP.)  What I think is valuable is
enabling H.248 to leverage other protocols in areas that fall near the edges of
H.248 gateway control charter.

John Voelker