Subject: Washington Issue 13 - Receipt of Duplicate Request when Pending

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:23:31 -0500

A number of issues were raised in the Washington meeting that
were "send to the list".  This is one of these issues, with the
problem and my suggested fix.

Problem:
What should the initiator do when it has sent a "pending"
response, but receives a duplicate request.  Possible answers
are: send another pending immediately, or wait for the normal
timeout and send pending.

Proposed Solution
Since the timeout of the original pending must be less than
the timeout of the duplicate, the responder will see
the 2nd pending response within it's timeout window.  Therefore,
it is not necessary to respond with an extra pending.

It should be noted that there is no harm in sending extra pends.

Also note that if the responder finishes within the timeout
of the first pend, sending the ack (or error) will satisfy
the original request and the duplicate.

Brian

---

From: Paul Hollis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:07:04 +0100

Hi Brian,

Along a similar line:-

what happens if a MG sends a REPLY to a transaction and then gets
a REQUEST with the same Transaction ID. Does it treat this as a new
transaction and service it or does it assume that it is a repeat of the
original one and discard it (ie. the MGC resent the transaction just
as the MG was sending the reply)?

Regards Paul.

--

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  Paul Hollis
  Ericsson Eurolab Deutschland GmbH
  Ericsson Allee 1
  D-52134 Herzogenrath
  Germany
  Phone: +49 2407 575 8092
  email: [email-masked]
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo