Subject: Re: Signals

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:16:20 -0500

I don't care much, but if it's OO, than off hook is OFF and on-hook is ON.
Otherwise it creates too much interaction with other events and signals with
no
advantage.
 
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom-PT Taylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 8:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Signals

My view of on hook or off hook is that they are instantaneous
events/signals.  In other words, the event/signal is really off hook
transition.  To undo an off hook signal, you wouldn't stop it, you would
send an on hook transition signal. 

This is a matter of style: you could also, as Chip implies, consider off
hook to be a signal which is applied for the duration of a call, then
stopped, at which time the background on-hook state would prevail.

Do people have a preference between these two views? 

        -----Original Message----- 
From:   Chip Sharp [SMTP:[email-masked]] 
Sent:   Friday, October 29, 1999 2:16 PM 
To:     [email-masked] 
Subject:        Re: Signals 

        At 10:19 AM 10/29/99 -0500, Peter Blatherwick wrote: 

        >My understanding, based on discussion, is:  The signal replacement
rule is 
>applicable to signals that have duration, such as playing of tones and 
>announcements.  Many signals are "immediate" and have no duration, such as 
>going on/off hook, turning on/off indicators, updating display.  The 
>latter class of signals would NOT be wiped out (ie display not cleared, 
>indicators not turned off) by a new SignalsDescriptor.  Correct? 
> 
>Sure.  If a BR signal finished between the time you played it and you sent 
>a new one we don't rewind the media stream :).  If it's over in a 
>millisecond, the issue doesn't arise. 
>Agreed then.  "Immediate" signals are not affected by arrival of a new 
>SignalsDescriptor unless it contains some explicit action (explicitly 
>clears display, etc). 

        I hope you are saying that on-hook and off-hook have duration.  That
is, 
they are OO events.  This is why OO events should only be turned off 
explicitly. 

        BTW, there should be very few OO events. 

        Sounds like what you are calling "immediate" is what I am calling
"OO". 

        >-- Peter Blatherwick 

        Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org <http://www.netaid.org>  
-------------------------------------------------- 
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering 
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region 
Reality - Love it or Leave it. 
--------------------------------------------------