Subject: Washington Issue 8 - Deleting Multiplexed Bearers

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:22:59 -0500

A number of issues were raised in the Washington meeting that
were "send to the list".  This is one of these issues, with the
problem and my suggested fix.

Problem
When you have a multiplexed bearer (more than one stream with
some explicit multiplexing method), it is pretty clear how to
create a new one, add a stream, and delete a stream, but it
is not clear how to delete the multiplexed bearer.

Two clear examples are ATM AAL2s, and the proposed multiplexed
RTP.  By specifying both the addressing of the endpoints, and
the multiplex information, a new one can be created, with
the command returning some kind of identifier to be used in
subsequent commands.  Adding streams using the identifier is
obvious.  Subtract of a termination would delete a stream.

In general, it is desirable to NOT always delete the stream when the
last substream is deleted - the MGC may wish to cache the
bearers for later use (it is possible for the MG to do this
and no new syntax would be needed).   However, there is no
way to reference a bearer independent of a termination to
which it applies.

Proposed Solution:
I don't have any good ones to offer.  The best I can do is
something like:
  Context=-{Subtract=*{LocalControl{AAL2/Network=AAL2, VPI=13,
AAL2/VCI=22}}}
But this is more than a little weird to me.

Brian

---

From: Stephen Terrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:40:49 +0100

Hi Brian,

I am not clear on whether this is really a problem.  In the case of AAL2, the termination could represent the board/VP/VC/CID, hence we don´t see the multiplexing.  In the case that separate handling must be done to establish the ATM resources, there could be another termination which represents board/VP/VC.

Regards,

..//Steve