Subject: Washington Issue Roundup

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:39:56 -0500

In an effort to focus the discussions in the design team
conference call on Monday, I would like to present my PERSONAL
conclusions on the 22 odd items raised from the Washington Meeting:

1. Audit of Ephemerals at Startup (name pattern) - Not yet
resolved.  Generally thought of as an okay idea, with some
dissention.  Need to settle - can wildcards appear anywhere,
is a 64 byte limit acceptable, or do we need several properties
to accommodate multiple patterns.  I suspect an item that should
be discussed on the call.

2. Controlling output of Audit.  Accepted, but requires
resolution of whether UNION is acceptable.  Abdallah doesn't
think so, Christian and I do.  Perhaps if we
saw more opinions expressed on the list we could close this.

3. Packages adding properties to root - undecided.  Three
proposals on the table - allow a package to define a property
on root, allow a package to define a global property, or
Abdallah's hybrid pkg/root/itemId proposal.  Perhaps if we
saw more opinions expressed on the list we could close this.

4. Events.  Although Steven Terrill has raised an issue, there
were no other comments.  Can we accept it?

5. Signals. Not decided.  Christian Groves and I have had
a running discussion on Brief, queuing, etc.  Needs to be
discussed on the call for sure.

6. Extensions - Not decided.  Christian Groves doesn't want
either descriptor extensions or command extensions.  Abdallah
does not want command extensions.  If we saw more opinions,
we might be able to close this, otherwise a call discussion item.

7. Generic error event.  Not quite decided.  Christian Groves
proposed a more complex event than the original.  I had one
problem with it, but otherwise was happy with the proposal.  No
other discussion.  Perhaps we can finish this on the list.

7a (Geez, hadn't realized there were two 7s as well as two 21s)
Time format.  UTC is decided.  Still having some discussion on
quantization and wording.  Perhaps we can finish this on the list.

8. Deleting multiplexed bearers - A proposal is on the list that
seems to have consensus among those discussing it. If there are
no objections, we might be able to close this one.

9. Wildcards in SDP.  Not decided.  Clearly a discussion item.

10. Whitespace in SDP.  Not decided.  Couldn't we close this
one on the list?  Either we require the MGC to filter, and
accept leading whitespace, or we stick to the SDP RFC and
disallow it.

11. ATM bearer descriptions in SDP.  Not decided, but probably
not something to discuss on the call.  I promised a more worked
out proposal, which I will do.  No real disagreements, but
need to get details all correct.

12. Synchronization of Streams.  Not decided.  Could we settle
this on the list, or maybe ask Tom Taylor and Christian
Groves to put their heads together and bring back proposed wording?

13. Receipt of Duplicate Request when Pending.  I think declared
as accepted.  There was some discussion, but no opposition to
the proposal.

14. Errors while parsing - closed with additions brought up on
the list.

15. Scope of names - I think closed - Properties/Events/Signals
& Statistics always qualified with package name, parameters
do not need to.

16. Confusion on Virtual MGs.  Closed - text left as is,
defer to version 2 for more work.

17. Use of Choose in Property Values - not decided, although
we may be down to "show me something that doesn't work".

18. Wildcard Subtract - Basically closed, it will be allowed.
One item remaining.  Should wildcard subtract (in this case we are
talking about ALL in ContextID) also allow ALL in TerminationID.
It is dangerous.  We can explicitly disallow it, allow it with
warning text, or just allow it.

19. Arbitrary wildcard - Closed, it's in

20. Termination ID always returned.  Sentiment on the list
is yes it should be.  I'm a holdout, but if no one else
objects, I'll withdraw my objections - speak now.

21. Property or Signal - Sentiment is that it's okay
to use either depending on circumstances.  Still discussing
if there should be guidance in the text.

21a. Version Incompatibilities.  Closed using modified
versions of Harpreet Singh's proposal.

22. Root package - Closed, no objections raised, it's in there.

If you have opinions, please respond to this message.  If we
can close some items before the meeting, great.  If not, it
would still be very helpful to know what you think so we
can represent it on the call.

Thanks

Brian
a humble editor

---

From: Steve Leiden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:24:07 -0500

>accept leading whitespace, or we stick to the SDP RFC and

Looking at the previous messages on the subject, I can't see any reason to
deviate from the SDP RFC, particularly now, when so many things are under
discussion. SDP consistancy should help the implementers not keeping daily
track of these discussions.
Dr. Stevan H. Leiden ([email-masked])     GTE Laboratories
Sr. Technologist                        40 Sylvan Rd.
                                        Waltham, Ma.
                                        02451-1128
                                        voice: 781-466-2415