Subject: Questions on MEGACOP

From: Shalini Philip <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:04:28 +0530

Hello Brian,

We have a couple of questions on MEGACOP:

1. Consider a case when an MGC has no backup MGC. If this MGC goes out
of service, what is the Service Change Method in the Service Change
Command Request sent to the MG?

(a) Will it be Handoff with no MgcIdToTry ?

(b) Service Change Method = Forced ?

2. MGC can modify the properties of a context. Suppose MG receives a
Transaction Request from the MGC containing the context properties and
some commands. When should MG affect the change in the context
properties:

(a) before executing any command ? (assuming the case where termination
id in the topology descriptor does not depend on the execution of the
first command). If the modification of context property fails, will the
commands be executed?

(b) after the execution of the first command. In this case, if the first
command execution succeeds but the topology change fails then will the
subsequent commands be executed ?

Regards,

Shalini Philip
Ficon Technology
E-Mail : mailto:[email-masked]
Web    : http://www.ficon-tech.com

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:59:34 -0500

> (b) Service Change Method = Forced ?
I think (b).  The MG can then try any other MGCs on it's list of
MGCs to try.

> subsequent commands be executed ?
I think it executes in order of operations in the action.  If the topology
descriptor occurs after the first command, before the second, then it
executes the first command, executes the change in topology, then executes
the second command.  If an error occurs, subsequent commands are not
executed.

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:34:04 +0100

G'Day Tom and Shalini,

In the case of a topology I would expect a) that the Topology context
parameters should be given before a command. The topology is 'local' to
the next command. If it fails it should come back as part of the
following command response.

Ie. You give the topology,
    then you ADD a termination with that topology. It overrides the
default.

if the topology came after the command then you could interpret it as:
    ADD a termination connected to all other connections,
    Now change the topology based on these parameters
to me it seems 2 actions when it comes after.

Cheers, Christian

Tom-PT Taylor wrote:
>
> What are your feelings about this one?  Do context properties get
> applied after the individual commands have been executed?  This feels
> right to me, since it provides a known state as a basis for the
> execution of the context-wide stuff.
>
> You can reply to Megaco at large -- I haven't been able to reach the
> list since last Tuesday.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From:   Shalini Philip [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:   Friday, November 26, 1999 3:34 AM
> [[TomT]]  ...