Subject: Re: TCP/IP ports

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:42:20 -0600

The port is determined in the ServiceChange negotiation -- it will be almost
impossible to change on a per-call basis.

I have an idea for how to allocate multiple ports on a static basis,
allowing for graceful failover: define alternative addresses as a ROOT
property.  But this still doesn't provide a dynamic port negotiation
capability.  I'm not sure why you would want it.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Nachum Frid [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 12:15 PM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      TCP/IP ports
>
>
>
>       The Megaco trasport can implement  either UDP or TCP.   When using
> TCP  a single port is going to be used for transport of transactions? ,
> or may be its better  to use  multiple ports that will be dynamically
> allocated for every new Context ?
>
>
>

---

From: Abdallah Rayhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:00:13 -0500

It seems that the original question mixes MEGACO transport and
media transport. At least that what I infer from it. These two are very
much independent. MEGACO  transport is set using ServiceChange
and is used for the protocol messages. Media transport is what the
terminations in a context  use to transport packets or whatever they
assume, e.g., a context  could have 5 terminations each has different
port number. You should be able to do this using SDP. As for what
applications ! Certain applications multiplex their load over a number
of ports, e.g.,  port for signaling, framing, audio, video, etc.

Abdallah Rayhan

"Taylor, Tom-PT (P.T.) [EXCHANGE:CAR:B904-I]" wrote:

>
>
> The port is determined in the ServiceChange negotiation -- it will be
> almost impossible to change on a per-call basis.
>
>              The Megaco trasport can implement  either UDP or TCP.
>      When using TCP  a single port is going to be used for transport
>      of transactions? ,  or may be its better  to use  multiple ports
>      that will be dynamically allocated for every new Context ?
>
>
>

---

From: Nachum Frid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:04:50 +0200

Using  multiple TCP sockets for MEGACO protocol will decrease latency for
the control messages. In TCP/IP retransmission of single message will delay
the whole control link  if only single socket is used.
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Media Gateway Control (megaco)
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tom-PT Taylor
    Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 7:42 PM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: Re: TCP/IP ports

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Nachum Frid [SMTP:[email-masked]]
        Sent:   Wednesday, December 22, 1999 12:15 PM
        To:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        TCP/IP ports

                The Megaco trasport can implement  either UDP or TCP.   When
using TCP  a single port is going to be used for transport of transactions?
,  or may be its better  to use  multiple ports that will be dynamically
allocated for every new Context ?