Subject: Local and Remote Clarification

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:38:53 +0100

G'Day all,

It seemed that I had picked up the wrong thread earlier.

I believe there is still confusion as to what Local and Remote means.
I've talked to several people and each has a different interpretation.

I was under the impression that local described the properties of
the "received media" and that remote described the properties of the
"transmitted media". This is how I interpret the text in the Whitepaper.

Attached is a PDF on how I view the configuration.

After discussion with people that have been working with H248 for quite
awhile they were under the same impression, however others see it
differently. I continuously get questions regarding what local and
remote mean therefore I propose the addition of the diagram to the H.248
protocol.

Local should have the properites/characteristics of
the "received media". Remote should have the properties/characteristics
of "sent media". This would also align the text and binary versions.

Cheers, Christian

---

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:07:50 -0800

>"transmitted media". This is how I interpret the text in the Whitepaper.

This is what it is intended to mean.

Actually,  the LocalDescriptor defines in a session description what the
local endpoint (MG) is able to receive and the RemoteDescriptor defines in
a session description what the remote endpoint is able to receive.  Thus
the local endpoint uses what it receives from the MGC in the
RemoteDescriptor to determine what to transmit.

>of "sent media". This would also align the text and binary versions.

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------