Subject: Re: Service State Property "Out of Service"

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 19:29:13 -0400

I'd think you should not set a termination out of service unless it was in
null context (and thus would
not have any media streams).  Whether it should be illegal is another
question.  I don't care.  I would not
want setting the property to have side effects like moving to null, etc.

A line with at least "SHOULD" is needed I think.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Hemant [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 6:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Service State Property "Out of Service"

Hi Brian, list,

    I wish to discuss some issues with handling of service state property
value "Out of Service" (OOS). The draft mentions "The state "out of service"
indicates that the termination cannot be used for traffic" (sec 7.1.5 para
2). This is fine for the terminations which are made OOS in null context as
terminations can only be Added with non "out of service" state. But what
about the following :

1) Is a command specifying Service State as OOS valid for a termination in a
non null context ?
If it is valid, what is the MG expected to do ? Should it stop traffic and
deallocate all the resources allocated for that termination and let the
termination remain in non null context? What will happen if this termination
is made "in-service" again. The MG would have to allocate all the resources
(according to the command in which the termination state change is specified
as in service) for this termination and add it to the context. That is the
MG would do all the handling that is required to "Add" the termination in
the context. Then what is being gained by keeping a OOS termination in a
non-NULL context ?

Suggestion : I would suggest that operation should be made invalid. The MGC
should first bring the termination out of context by explicitly subtracting
the termination. Another option is specifying that setting state to OOS does
an implicit subtract (just like mux results in an implicit Add). But in this
option what would a command containing Stream desc. with non null Local or
Remote mean ? Should resource reservation implied by these be neglected ? I
don't know why one would like to make a temination OOS and then hold
resources for that same termination.

2) Assume that the state of a termination in null context is In service. An
add command for that termination is received and in that command the
termination state set to OOS. Is that a valid command ?

Suggestion : I think this should also be considered invalid going by the
logic which prevents an already OOS termination to be added to a context.

Can it be said then that changing the state of a termination to OOS is valid
only under following circumstances :
    - In null context.
    - By Modify command.
    - Without any Local and Remote Descriptor.

comments please ....

Regards,
Hemant Kumar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hemant Kumar
Ficon Technology
E-mail: mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Web: http://www.ficon-tech.com <http://www.ficon-tech.com>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Chakravarthi PSK <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:32:23 +0530

Brian,

    What happens If craft person at MG side, wants put a circuit which is not in NULL context to "Out Of Service" for maintenance purpose?

Thanks & Regards
Chak

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Rosen, Brian 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 4:59 AM
  Subject: Re: Service State Property "Out of Service"

  I'd think you should not set a termination out of service unless it was in null context (and thus would
  not have any media streams).  Whether it should be illegal is another question.  I don't care.  I would not
  want setting the property to have side effects like moving to null, etc.

  Brian
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Hemant [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 6:41 AM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: Service State Property "Out of Service"

    Hi Brian, list,

        I wish to discuss some issues with handling of service state property value "Out of Service" (OOS). The draft mentions "The state "out of service" indicates that the termination cannot be used for traffic" (sec 7.1.5 para 2). This is fine for the terminations which are made OOS in null context as terminations can only be Added with non "out of service" state. But what about the following : 

    1) Is a command specifying Service State as OOS valid for a termination in a non null context ? 
    If it is valid, what is the MG expected to do ? Should it stop traffic and deallocate all the resources allocated for that termination and let the termination remain in non null context? What will happen if this termination is made "in-service" again. The MG would have to allocate all the resources (according to the command in which the termination state change is specified as in service) for this termination and add it to the context. That is the MG would do all the handling that is required to "Add" the termination in the context. Then what is being gained by keeping a OOS termination in a non-NULL context ? 
     
    Suggestion : I would suggest that operation should be made invalid. The MGC should first bring the termination out of context by explicitly subtracting the termination. Another option is specifying that setting state to OOS does an implicit subtract (just like mux results in an implicit Add). But in this option what would a command containing Stream desc. with non null Local or Remote mean ? Should resource reservation implied by these be neglected ? I don't know why one would like to make a temination OOS and then hold resources for that same termination. 

    2) Assume that the state of a termination in null context is In service. An add command for that termination is received and in that command the termination state set to OOS. Is that a valid command ? 

    Suggestion : I think this should also be considered invalid going by the logic which prevents an already OOS termination to be added to a context. 

    Can it be said then that changing the state of a termination to OOS is valid only under following circumstances :    
        - In null context.    
        - By Modify command.    
        - Without any Local and Remote Descriptor. 
     
    comments please .... 
     
    Regards,
    Hemant Kumar
     
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hemant Kumar
    Ficon Technology
    E-mail: mailto:[email-masked]
    Web: http://www.ficon-tech.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~