Subject: Choice Strategy, Merits and Demerits...

From: Venugopal M <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 11:45:49 +0530

Let me keep this to the point. I haven't been able to find enough "strategic
or technical merits" information in the net for using MEGACO vis-a-vis MGCP.
I hope I have not overlooked but I don't think I found a clear discussion
anywhere - I could be happily corrected on this, of course.

 Given a choice between MEGACO and MGCP for the MGC-MG space what would
experts prefer ? If some one ( Maybe Brian,Nancy or john ...too! ) could
just put in a few lines of merits and demerits (at this point, without being
overly philosophical like "both are equally good etc.etc." ) that would be
great help to people who're jut beginning to wade into these waters. At  the
first look it does appear that MEGACO is a lot of work as compared to MGCP
... but what does it offer in return ? are companies betting more on MEGACO
as compared to MGCP ? or is the jury still out ?

( yeah, I wish I could attend a few VON seminars but then I live about 12000
miles away from the US :-( )

-Venu

* What's Voice without IP ? *

( aren't I optimistic ? )

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 02:18:53 -0400

The Hughes Software Systems paper circulated last year had a pretty good
analysis.  The key point is that Megaco provides stronger support for
applications.  MGCP will likely prove to be a dead end once you get past
basic voice services.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Venugopal M [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2000 2:16 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Choice Strategy, Merits and Demerits...
> Importance:   High
>
> Let me keep this to the point. I haven't been able to find enough
> "strategic or technical merits" information in the net for using MEGACO
> vis-a-vis MGCP. I hope I have not overlooked but I don't think I found a
> clear discussion anywhere - I could be happily corrected on this, of
> course.
>
> just put in a few lines of merits and demerits (at this point, without
> being overly philosophical like "both are equally good etc.etc." ) that
> would be great help to people who're jut beginning to wade into these
> waters. At  the first look it does appear that MEGACO is a lot of work as
> compared to MGCP ... but what does it offer in return ? are companies
> betting more on MEGACO as compared to MGCP ? or is the jury still out ?
>
> ( yeah, I wish I could attend a few VON seminars but then I live about
> 12000 miles away from the US :-( )
>
>
>
> -Venu
>