Subject: Re: MEGACO and Dial Pulse Lines

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:37:07 -0400

> I agree with George, since POTS transparency is key.
>
> It appears that a "Dial pulse" package is needed to inform
> the MG of the
> dial pulse characteristics (PPS, Make/Break Ratio). What else?
>
> What is the process for creating such a package? Can anyone
> create an IETF
> draft?
>
Anyone can create a DRAFT.  Just write it up in the proper format
and email it to the Internet Drafts editor.

Now, if you want IETF to DO anything with it, some working group
(for example, Megaco) has to adopt it as a work item, and agree
to turn it into an rfc (through it's consensus process).  I'd
suspect we would be willing to do this for a dial pulse package,
but that is up to the group to decide.

Brian

---

From: Stephen Terrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:22:52 +0200

Hi,

I was trying to find the correct message from this thread to respond to, so I would hitch it onto this.

I would think that MGC shouldn´t be concerned with how the digits were detected.  The MGC is requesting to detect digits, and wether they are pulsed or DTMF shouldn´t matter - this is matter of hardware.

Of course there is an issue of configuration, to have the terminal adapter (or line card) to be set for the type of subcriber, however I haven´t viewed H.248 as a configuration protocol - I understood that was done in other ways.

Regards,

..//steve