Subject: Error 433 behavior

From: Chuong Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:22:46 -0500

Hi All,

If MGC tries to add a physical terminaiton that is already in a Context,
what is the expected
response from MG.

For example,

Transaction=1 {Context=$ {Add = TDM123{....}}}

Reply=1{Context= ???? {Add = TDM123{errorDescriptor}}} or

Reply=1{Context = ??? {errorDescriptor}}     // Error 433: Termination
ID is already in a Context

What should the MG return for ContextID --  $ or the context Id that the
termination is in?

Should the Error Descriptor be in the command level or at the context
level?
I think it should be in the command level since it is the Add command
that result in an error.

Thanks
Chuong

--
  Alcatel USA, Inc             Internet: [email-masked]
  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075           Phone:    (972) 519-4613
  **** The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc ****

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:34:01 -0400

I don't think that is a good idea to return the context ID of the context
the termination is in.

The MGC asked that a new context be created, and this termination be put in
it.
Returning the context ID that the termination is already in would be
incorrect, because
there was not a request to Add a termination to that context.

This problem occurs when the context was already created.  Suppose that a
context with
two terminations already existed, and a termination was Added to it which
was in another
context.  Would you still expect the context the termination was already in
to be returned?
I wouldn't

I do agree that when/If we do a guide, we should put some text in for this
case.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuong Nguyen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 12:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Error 433 behavior

Thanks for the response Brian.

Can we specify in the Standard or implementor Guide that the MG returns the
ContextId that
the termination is already in instead of "CHOOSE"?
Therefore MGC does not have to do an audit to find out what context that
termination is already in.

Having MG returns "CHOOSE" does not buy MGC anything.

For a physical termination, the contextID is going to be either NULL or
created contextId, so I don't
think it would hurt to return that instead of "CHOOSE".

Either way can this be documented in the Standard or implementor Guide?

Thanks
Chuong

"Rosen, Brian" wrote:

Reply=1{Context = ??? {errorDescriptor}}     // Error 433: Termination ID is
already in a Context

I believe it should be the former.  In general, you want the most
specificity in error returns.  In this case, we clearly have no syntax
issues in determining that it is the Add which fails, for a specific reason.
Thus I think you get the error on the add.

You get "Choose"

Should the Error Descriptor be in the command level or at the context level?

I think it should be in the command level since it is the Add command that
result in an error.

I agree, at the command level

Brian

--