Subject: 7.1.18 Topology Clarification

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:39:25 +1000

G'Day all,

Given that the default for the TopologyDescriptor is "bothway" do people
find  the diagram and table confusing?
ie.
Step 3: T3, T2, oneway
Could be
a) as shown or
b) bothway between T1 and T2, bothway between T1 and T3 and oneway
between T3 and T2

Is it worth clarifying?

Cheers, Christian

---

From: Naoto MAKINAE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:07:48 +0900

Hi Christian

> b) bothway between T1 and T2, bothway between T1 and T3 and oneway

The last sentence in the paragraph just above the figure 4 states that
"it is assumed that the topology descriptors are applied in sequence."
The third diagram is obtained by applying  (T3, T2, oneway) to the
second diagram. So, the third diagram should remain as it is.

The figure, howerver, is confusing in the following senses:
 - The six diagrams show different states of the same context, but the phrases
   "Context 1", "Context 2", and "Context 3" give the wrong impression that they
   are different contexts.
 - Each diagram should be labeled as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, but they are labeled
  1, 2, 3, 1,2, and 3.

Naoto
--
Naoto MAKINAE
Information Sharing Platform Laboratories
Nippon Telegram and Telephone Corporation
Email:[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:33:28 -0400

Initially, I was puzzled by the following, because I went to look at the document
and found it to be as Naoto described that it needed to be... I was looking at the
Word doc version of the spec. Looking at the  actual draft,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-07.txt , the problems
as indicated are indeed there. They definitely need to be cleaned up as Naoto
suggests.

Christian,

   Regarding your initial question, I don't find the diagrams/table to be
confusing... as long as we fix the stuff that Naoto pointed out in the actual IETF
draft.

Cheers,

Michael

---

From: Paul Hollis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:20:31 +0800

Hi,

OK, so if we apply the topology descriptors in the example in sequence what
is the expected outcome at each step (taking into account the text: "The
default association when a termination is not mentioned in the Topology
descriptor is bothway (if T3 is added to a context with T1 and T2 with
topology (T3,T1,oneway) it will be connected bothway to T2)")??

I would guess the following:

Step 1: As shown

Step 2: As shown

Step 3: Could be as shown OR could be (botway between T1 and T2), (bothway
between T1 and T3) and (oneway between T3 and T2). Due to the fact that T1 is not
mentioned in the topology.

Step 4: (botway between T1 and T2), (bothway between T1 and T3) and (oneway
between T2 and T3)

Step 5: all terminations connected bothway.

Step 6: as shown

Perhaps this text "The default association when a termination is not mentioned in the
Topology descriptor is bothway.." should be clarified that it is only relevant when
Adding new terminations, not modifying existing terminations. For the case of existing
terminations the topology remains unchanged if the termination is not mentioned.

Regards Paul.