Subject: an ephemeral Termination and the null Context

From: FURUKAWA Satoru <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:55:26 +0900

Hi,

Does it allowed to Add an ephemeral Termination to the null Context ?
My understanding is that the Addition is not prohibitted explicitly
but I really wonder whether the semantic validity of that has been
recognized.

I would like to create an new ephemeral Termination Adding to the null
Context, Modify it in order to provide some LocalDescriptors (VPI/VCI,
etc.), and then Move it to another 'real' Context, which other
Terminations have been already added to.

A real Context instead of the null Context may bring same results but
I feel like doing without it if possible.

Regards,
Satoru Furukawa

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:19:43 -0400

How do you destroy a termination so created?  Do you end up doing Subtract
from the null context?  Does the null context disappear (and what does this
mean?) if there are no more terminations in it?

It is possible to build a logically consistent story for this, but my own
reaction is to prefer leaving the null context as the place where
provisioned terminations exist when not in use.

Other comments?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: FURUKAWA Satoru [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 8:55 PM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      an ephemeral Termination and the null Context
>
> Hi,
>

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:32:29 -0400

> but I really wonder whether the semantic validity of that has been
I would say, NO, it is NOT permitted to Add any termination to the
Null context.  I'd actually permit a move of a physical termination,
since that is what Subtract does, but if we decided to make that an
error for consistency, I wouldn't scream.

> Terminations have been already added to.
You should create a context, adding the termination to it.  When you
want to, Move the termination to the "real context".  The temporary
context, now having zero terminations, will be deleted.

> I feel like doing without it if possible.
Nevertheless, I believe that is the correct way.  I do not understand
why you would think that it would not be the best way.

Brian