Subject: Re: MEGACO and Dial Pulse Lines

From: "Glasgow, George" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:59:26 -0400

My experience with CO design (subscriber call processing) is that we
removed the tone receiver from the connection once we had received all
of the digits. It could be reconnected during a call, but only in special
circumstances. We never had any special code for handling this
re-origination
scenario.

So I don't see how the prolonged '#' will work under normal circumstances,
given that there is no tone receiver listening for it and current CO design
does not take it into consideration.

Also, if you are connected to an interactive response-type device such as
a voicemail system, they very often will respond to '#' by selecting a
particular option on that system. To have one of these systems connected
to the subscriber at the same time as a tone receiver could (would) be
rather
confusing, to say the least.

I agree with Vance that this re-origination code is not sensible.

Perhaps David was referring to a PBX feature?

Regards,

George Glasgow
Senior Engineer - SRX-3000 Development
Unisphere Solutions,
900 Broken Sound Parkway, B12S,
Boca Raton, FL 33487,
USA
1-561-955-6555 Voice
1-561-955-6477 Fax

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

Visit us on the web at: http://www.unispheresolutions.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Vance Shipley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 12:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: MEGACO and Dial Pulse Lines

David K Brown writes:
}  ....  Also, the conventional re-originate code (1 sec of "#"  tone)
}  would probably need to be translated to something else for DP phones.

By who's convention is that?  It's a pet peeve of mine that the practice
of using a prolonged '#' tone during an established call seems to be
acceptable to my collegues.  In my mind it is unnecessary, a '#' sent
when there is no called party connected (i.e. they haven't answered or
they have hung up) is common practice and acceptable.  To monitor a
connected call with tone receivers is expensive.  More importantly
though once you create this sort of escape sequence (it's really akin
to the Hayes modem command '+++') you have decided what is and is not
valid customer payload.  Just think about what happens when you tandem
through several networks with this function!

        -Vance

---

From: Vance Shipley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:00:18 -0400

}  I agree with Vance that this re-origination code is not sensible.
}
}  Perhaps David was referring to a PBX feature?

It's something that is commonly used in debit card services.

        -Vance