Subject: Re: Package extention

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:25:38 -0400

At first, I was inclined to say, "sure, why not"
However, I'm worried about implementation difficulty.

If it's hard to do, I think the utility is small.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Madhu Babu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, July 03, 2000 5:26 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Package extention
>
>
> Can a package extends more than one package??
> -madhubabu
>

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 09:06:26 +0200

Madhu, Brian,

I don't think that we should allow this.  You run into problems if a
package C extends A and B, and A and B contain properties that have the
same name.  What property does C/x refer to if A and B both have a
property x?

John

--
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 303
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954

---

From: Michael Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:30:15 -0400

While I'm not sure I agree that this shouldn't be allowed, I agree that it
should be discouraged. I suppose as long as packages are worked as part of
IETF or ITU, this type of restriction could be "enforced". Multiple
inheritance is an extremely messy arrangement... easy to get into problems
(as John has pointed out) and generally doesn't add value to justify the
potential complexity.

Michael