Subject: 7 or 8 bit encoding??

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:52:34 +1000

G'Day all,

Could someone confirm the type of encoding we are using for the text
version of Megaco.

In Annex B ABNF is mentions that it is compliant to RFC2234 which in
turn talks about being encoded in 7bit US-ASCII.

However the SDP part of the text encoding talks about being compliant to
SDP RFC2327 which in turn mention the text below:
6.  SDP Specification

   SDP session descriptions are entirely textual using the ISO 10646
   character set in UTF-8 encoding. SDP field names and attributes names
   use only the US-ASCII subset of UTF-8, but textual fields and
   attribute values may use the full ISO 10646 character set.

It seems a mess to me if we are using 7bit encoding and 8 bit encoding
in the same encoding. I hope someone can confirm that we are using UTF-8
encoding for H248 text description because the protocol doesn't really
state this.

Cheers, Christian

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 22:20:52 -0400

I'd support UTF-8 encoding.  I'd put a line to that effect near the
reference to
RFC2234.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christian Groves [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 9:53 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: 7 or 8 bit encoding??
>
>
> G'Day all,
>