Subject: Parameters in Local Control

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:00:22 -0400

In the text, section 7.1.7, it states:
A new setting of the LocalControl Descriptor completely replaces the
   previous setting of that descriptor in the MG.  Thus to retain
   information from the previous setting the MGC must include that
   information in the new setting.  If the MGC wishes to delete some
   information from the existing descriptor, it merely resends the
   descriptor (in a Modify command) with the unwanted information
   stripped out.

Suppose you implemented a couple packages that defined a dozen or
so properties.  Do you have to repeat the values of each of these
properties in every modify of LocalControl?

I think this paragraph is a remnant of an earlier concept, and with
LocalControl defined as it is now, this statement is in error, and
the actual desired behavior is that values are kept until modified.
Consider that LocalControl presently has only the Mode property,
the ReserveGroup and ReserveValue properties and properties of
a termination.
This means there is nothing in LocalControl that is not a property
with a value (as opposed to, say a flag).  Thus keeping old values
is very feasible, and I believe, what is desired.

Brian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:00:30 +1000

G'Day Brian,

Why would we have a distinction in behaviour between Local Control,
Local and Remote? They will all have property=value constructs and have
properties defined by packages. We also have a concept to "delete"
properties which needs to be maintained for Local Control.

I wasn't particularly keen on having to re-send properties to keep them
but that's what we decided to do so I feel that to be consistent in
behaviour that we should keep things as is.

Cheers, Christian