Subject: Re: User Interface MGCP package

From: Peter Blatherwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:17:17 -0400

Bob wrote (12/07/00 17:07):
  >The "Informational RFC" is maintained by the ISC on behalf of the IETF.
  >The vendors involved in implementing MGCP and conducting interoperability
  >events treat this RFC as a standard.
and later in same thread (12/07/00 18:28):
  >The representation of MGCP as a standard is systematic.
  ...

One thing I'd like to get back to here.  Is the MGCP I-RFC actually
maintained by ISC "on behalf of" IETF.  Is there a formal relationship on
this?  I was not aware of one.

As I understand it IETF / IESG direction is clearly that Megaco/H.248 is the
standard, and MGCP was a *proposal* for that standard not fully accepted by
either Megaco WG or ITU-T SG-16 (although of course many, many important
aspects remain).

-- Peter Blatherwick

---

From: Bob Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 20:09:11 -0600

RE: User Interface MGCP package
The ISC/IETF relationship may not be a formal one, but if you are attempting
to implement MGCP in any "standard" way (quotes used on purpose - please -
no
more emails!) you do have two options - ISC Device Control Working Group,
and CableLabs.

I mention this to emphasize that
0) MGCP is alive and well
1) There are other fora for MGCP discussions
2) This isn't the right place
3) Clearly there is some interest about MGCP on this list, and it needs
somewhere to go

-Bob

-----------
Bob Wise
Chief Architect
Vsys, Inc. - "The Softswitch Company"
www.vsys.com

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Media Gateway Control (megaco)
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Peter Blatherwick
  Sent: Friday, July 14, 2000 1:17 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: User Interface MGCP package

    ...

  As I understand it IETF / IESG direction is clearly that Megaco/H.248 is
the standard, and MGCP was a *proposal* for that standard not fully accepted
by either Megaco WG or ITU-T SG-16 (although of course many, many important
aspects remain).

  -- Peter Blatherwick

---

From: Bob Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 20:09:30 -0600

RE: User Interface MGCP package
I don't know what the T&Cs are around the interop event, but I'm wondering
if anyone at the interop event is going to testing ASN.1

-Bob

-----------
Bob Wise
Chief Architect

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:15:12 +1000

G'Day Bob,

We'll have an ASN.1 and ABNF version at the interop.

Cheers, Christian