Subject: Local and Remote on PSTN termination

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:11:36 +0200

Hi,

I have one question about the Local- and Remote parameters on PSTN (eg.
a E1 timeslot) terminations.

In the RFC examples (Appendix A) the following Local parameter is used
on the PSTN (in this case, an analog line) termination.

3. The MGC programs a Termination in the NULL context. The terminationId
is A444, the stream...

MGC to MG1:
MEGACO/1 [123.123.123.4]:55555
Transaction = 9999 {
...
       Local {
v=0
c=IN IP4 $
m=audio $ RTP/AVP 0
a=fmtp:PCMU VAD=X-NNVAD
       }

My questions:

1. Why is "IN" and "IP4" used in the c line?

2. Why is a Remote parameter not needed on this termination?

I appologise if these questions have been answered before, but I haven't
been following the list for a while.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:17:40 +0200

Personally I don't even think we would need Local and Remote descriptors
for PSTN terminations, because the only information needed for the
termination is the encoding (no addresses, ports, media types etc are
needed). Instead, I think it maybe should be possible to specify the
encoding in the LocalControl descriptor. That is the way it works in
MGCP, so...

Comments?

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland