Subject: Control Association Problem

From: "Kaul, Bharat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:37:21 -0800

Hi List, 

Some more confusion/problem on MG-MGC control association and potential
addition to Implementors guide.

Assume that transport is UDP and MID filled in the header is IPV4 Address +
Port and the transport address used for transmission of the message is
different from as specified in MID ?

First, is it allowed/legal  ?

If yes, then should the entity receiving (ENT-RCV) the message assume that
the address information in MID is the transport address to be used for
subsequent communication with entity that sent the message (ENT-TX) ? Or
should ENT-RCV use the transport address obtained from UDP on receipt of the
message for subsequent communication ?"

This is step one of the uncertainity. Here is step two :)

Additionally, assume MG sent a ServiceChange with method as Restart for the
Root Termination to the MGC and transport is UDP. The MID filled by MG is
IPV4 + port, the transport address used for transmission is different that
what is in MID and worse it fills a ServiceChange Address with a different
transport address information. In such a case, which transport address
should the MGC use for subsequent communication with the MG.

The protocol is silent on all these aspects and if above holds, I do see
some inter-op issues here.

If above indeed are issues, here is what I suggest:

If MID is IPV4 address and the address is different from source transport
address used for transmission, source transport address should be used for
subsequent communication.

In case of ServiceChange scenario message described above, the ServiceChange
Address should take precedence.

Comments/Pats/BrickBats ? ;)

- Bharat

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------
Bharat Kaul                          Trillium Digital Systems Inc.
mailto: [email-masked]    An Intel Company,
Phone: 310 481 5515             12100 Wilshire Blvd, #1800,
Fax    : 310 442 1162             Los Angeles, CA - 90025
http://www.trillium.com