Subject: NAS Package comment about OctetString property

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:30:02 -0500

I am repeating this question (original Subject: AuditCapability for an
octetString parameter) and focusing it directly to the NAS package since
it is the first use I have seen of an OctetString valued property.
nas/sessid is defined to be of type "octet string".

Tom Taylor, since you are using such a property in the NAS package have
you considered this issue?

I do not see how to use octetString valued properties with the ABNF for
text-encoding.  I believe that properties must be VALUE which consists
of a sequence of SafeChar or a quotedString which contains only
SafeChar, RestChar or WSP.  Some octet values do not occur in either
SafeChar or RestChar, e.g., %x07 or all those > %x7F.  VALUE can only
contains the "printable ASCII" values.

Even if one can send such a property, how does one return the possible
values for an octetString valued
parameter in reply to AuditCapability?  For example, in the nas package
there is a session identifier property nas/sessid whose type is "octet
string suitable for use as the value of the RADIUS attribute
Acct-Session-Id ..."  RADIUS defines this as a string that "should"
contain UTF-8 characters and has no maximum length.  If the MG receives
AuditCapability = <some nas termination> {Audit { Media}} Then it must
return the possible values for nas/sessid along with other properties.
How does one express this range of values. nas/sessid > ""  ??

Am I missing something or were properties never intended to hold
octetStrings.

--
------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Pager:800.759.8352 pin 1704572   [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies/ Voice Over IP Access Networks/ Applications Grp
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:38:59 -0500

You are right on the encoding issues.  I'll have to add the requirement that
if text encoding is used, the value is Base64-encoded.  This applies to the
session identifier and the handle associated with outgoing calls.

The auditCapability question is a general one.  My proposal is that for
open-ended values, the MG returns no value.  It is up to the MGC to
understand the unrestricted nature of the variable in question. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Terry L Anderson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 1:30 PM
> To: Megaco Mailing List
> Subject: NAS Package comment about OctetString property
> 
>