Subject: ATM support (drafts,packages,docs)?

From: "Peter Michielsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 10:11:13 -0800

Looking through the list I came across the following references
concerning support for ATM in RFC3015:

-draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-atm-05.txt
-draft-rosen-megaco-atm-package-00.txt

Some questions:
1)Is there any other stuff to look at? Is this what people are using?
2)How one can find out where to look for these packages&sdp extensions (
apart from following this mailing list). Especially the sdp
extensions/usage since rfc2327  only addresses IP and ways to extend sdp
(no ATM, TDM, etc)?
3)We will not support all conventions described in first doc (say we
only do AAL1 or AAL2), do we need to specify that in our profile
(so profile would refer to draft/rfc & restrictions in its usage, as
well as naming rules,supported packages,etc)?
4)Are there "standard" profiles (or forseen to be)? If yes, where and
how to find?

Thanks,
    Peter.

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:35:17 -0500

I have some answers (below).

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Peter Michielsen [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 1:11 PM
> To: megaco
> Subject: ATM support (drafts,packages,docs)?
> 
> 

[PTT] 
I'd say this is it for now.  It is very new, so I wouldn't know if anyone is
using it yet.

> extensions/usage since rfc2327  only addresses IP and ways to 

[PTT]
The MMUSIC WG owns SDP, so will be consulted on any extensions.  The MMUSIC
list is generally a lot quieter than the Megaco one, so you might prefer to
monitor it.

> well as naming rules,supported packages,etc)?

[PTT]
Sounds like a sensible thing to do.  Profiles are something done between
consenting adults, not a Megaco standardization issue, so you can put
whatever seems necessary in them.  The ATM SDP draft allows you to pick and
choose as you suggest.

> 4)Are there "standard" profiles (or forseen to be)? If yes, where and

[PTT]
May not be easy.  One (the IPPHONE profile, RFC 3054) was referred to Megaco
for technical review and we passed it on to the IESG for publication as an
Informational RFC.  The MSF has developed a number of others, but hasn't
referred them to us.  I'm unaware of any other profiles, but I bet they're
out there.