Subject: [Megaco] ICV calculation

From: "Sandeep" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 17:18:35 +0530

Hye All

I have a doubt relating to ICV calculation 
Refer to the following text in section 10.2

"To retain the same functionality, the ICV calculation should be performed across the entire transaction prepended by a synthesized IP header consisting of a 32 bit source IP address, a 32 bit destination address and a 16 bit UDP destination port encoded as 20 hex digits. "

 Does entire transaction mean entire message following the authentication header ( i.e including megaco token,version,mid)
 or does it refer to only the message body ?

Thanks in advance..

Sandeep Nagpaul
Bharti Telesoft Limited

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:44:33 -0400

The whole thing, including the token, version, mid,.....
Think of this as being what you would get if you really did have IPSEC.
The ICV is calculated over the whole message from the UDP header down.
 
I'll note that it is pretty hard to find an O/S, even an embedded one, that
does not
have IPSEC available.  I would recommend that you implement real IPSEC.
If you are implementing an MG, I would make that the (only) requirement.
If you were implementing an MGC, and wanted to cover the widest possible
range of MGs, then you would want to implement the interim AH idea, but
every
MGC should implement IPSEC, full stop.
 
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandeep [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 7:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] ICV calculation

Hye All

"To retain the same functionality, the ICV calculation should be performed
across the entire transaction prepended by a synthesized IP header
consisting of a 32 bit source IP address, a 32 bit destination address and a
16 bit UDP destination port encoded as 20 hex digits. "
 
 Does entire transaction mean entire message following the authentication
header ( i.e including megaco token,version,mid)
 or does it refer to only the message body ?

Thanks in advance..

Sandeep Nagpaul
Bharti Telesoft Limited