Subject: [Megaco] Can Context be seen as Conference ID

From: "Miao, Kai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:24:49 -0400

In the case of a multipoint conferecing where a MG functions as a
conferencing server, should the context number of the conference be used as
the "conference ID" to indicate (track) this particular conference? 
 
I tried to find more information about Megaco acting as a MCU, but no
success. Can anyone help?
 
Kai Miao

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:48:05 -0400

There is a thread still running on developing conferencing requirements,
so the answer you are seeking is not really available yet.

There have been several models for conferencing proposed.  Many feel that
a conference equals a context on a conferencing MG, and therefore the
contextID serves as a conference ID.

There is another model that has a bunch of two termination contexts,
each containing the network (RTP/...) ephemeral, the other being a
conference bridge port.  In that model, a parameter on the conference
termination is set to a conferenceId, and all terminations with the same
conferenceId are bridged.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Miao, Kai [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 3:25 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Megaco] Can Context be seen as Conference ID
> 
>

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:26:06 -0400

Megaco for MCU control is a current topic, with some discussion already on
this list and contributions to be discussed at this month's SG 16
Rapporteur's meeting in Santa Barbara.

You could have a larger conference which has inter-linked contexts, so in
theory you need a conference ID which is independent of the contextID.
However, the context is certainly an useful unit to work with.

-----Original Message-----
From: Miao, Kai [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 3:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Can Context be seen as Conference ID

 
Kai Miao