Subject: [Megaco] New Charter Approved By IESG

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:11:56 -0500

Here is our new charter, as approved by the IESG.

----------------------

The Megaco media gateway control protocol, RFC 3015 (also published as ITU-T
Recommendation H.248), was developed by the Megaco Working Group in close
cooperation with ITU-T Study Group 16.  The protocol responds to the
requirements documented in RFC 2805.

The Megaco Working Group has identified a large number of corrections to the
protocol specification in the year and a half since RFC 3015/Rec. H.248 was
approved.  As guardians of the protocol specification, Study Group 16
maintains a record of these corrections in the form of an "Implementor's
Guide".  Study Group 16 now proposes to issue a new version of
Recommendation H.248 incorporating these corrections and a limited number of
new protocol features.  The current charter includes one package, on 
naming patterns.  If the WG determines that other packages are of general 
usefulness, an AD and IESG review is needed to permit addition of the 
package to the charter.

The basic mandate of the Megaco Working Group is to cooperate with the ITU-T
in the continuing refinement and evolution of the Megaco/H.248 protocol.
This specifically includes participation in the development of H.248v2 and
subsequent versions, creation of packages of general usefulness to users of
the protocol, and creation of documents providing additional information to
the development community on specific aspects of the protocol.

The work of package development for specific applications is specifically
excluded from the Working Group's mandate.  However, the Megaco mailing list
will
continue to be a place where such packages can be discussed and refined
before being submitted to the IESG for potential publication as 
individually-submitted RFCs. 

Milestones:

Feb '02: Standards Track document reproducing the content of H.248v2 to the
IESG

Mar '02: Megaco/H.248 MIB to the IESG

Mar '02: Standards Track document, naming pattern package, to the IESG

May '02: Informational document, example Megaco/H.248 call flows, to the
IESG

Tom Taylor
[email-masked]
Ph. +1 613 736 0961 (ESN 396 1490)

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco