Subject: [Megaco] Brief signals and default durations

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:06:21 -0500

There has been a discussion at the SG16 meeting in Geneva about the
proper behavior and requirements for default durations for BR and TO
signals.  An ad hoc group has decided that the best solution is to
clarify the distinction between TO and BR and their use of durations.
BR would not longer explicitly talk about being "so short" but whould be
distinquished as having a natural length and no default numeric duration
(its length could still be truncated by an explicit duration in the
signals descriptor).  The change suggested affects 7.1.11 and 12.1.14

7.1.11
§ brief – the signal duration is so short that it will stop on its own
unless a new signal is applied that causes it to stop; no timeout value
is needed.

would change to
brief - the signal will stop on its own unless a new signal is applied
that causes it to stop; no timeout value is needed.

and the following sentence would be added to the following paragraph:

If a signal of default type other than TO has its type overridden to
type TO in the signals descriptor, it MUST the duration parameter must
be present.

12.1.14

Note: SignalType may be defined such that it is dependent on the value
of one or more parameters. Signals that would be played with SignalType
BR or TO should have a default duration. The package has to define the
default duration and signalType.

would change to:
Note: SignalType may be defined such that it is dependent on the value
of one or more parameters. The package MUST specify a default signal
type.  If the default type is TO, the package MUST specify a default
duration.  A default duration is meaningless for BR.
--

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla