Subject: [Megaco] Incoming ring

From: "Marcu, Matia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:00:57 +0200

Hi all,
Please help me clarify a few points concerning incoming ring.

1. Concerning E.9.3 (Analog Line Supervision Package - Signals) ring cadence
parameter. Let's assume that an MGC - for application reasons - is required
to support the following two ring patterns:
a) 1s on, 3s off
b) 0.5s on, 0.5s off
    0.5s on, 0.5s off
    0.5s on, 2.5s off 

This MGC is expected to transmit the second pattern as "500, 500, 500, 500,
500, 2500".

According to the cadence description text 
"list of integers representing durations of alternating on and off segments,
constituting a complete ringing cycle starting with an on",
this MGC should send the first pattern using the minimal encoding - "1000,
3000".

Will it always do so or are there MGCs which use an encoding "aligned" with
the most complicated pattern they have to send - which would be "1000, 3000,
1000, 3000, 1000, 3000"? Or is there no rule at all?

I know that an MG - as the good obedient slave it's supposed to be -
shouldn't make any assumptions concerning MGC behavior. I'd just like to
know whether there is a forum consensus concerning this point, since it
would save some work in our particular implementation.

2. What is the status of the draft-boyle-megaco-alerting-02 "Enhanced
Alerting Packages for Megaco/H.248" (its expiration time is January 2002)?

Thank you,

Matia Marcu
System Engineer
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:02:33 -0500

I can answer your last question.  draft-boyle-megaco-alerting-02 completed
list Last Call and will go to the IESG shortly.  Kevin is waiting for IANA
to assign package IDs, so he can resubmit the draft.  I suggested he
resubmit it anyway, since Michelle at IANA seems to be unable to answer us
for the moment.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcu, Matia [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 3:01 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Incoming ring

Hi all,

Thank you,

Matia Marcu
System Engineer

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:02:33 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcu, Matia [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 3:01 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Incoming ring

Hi all,

Thank you,

Matia Marcu
System Engineer

---

From: "Kevin Boyle"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:01:57 -0500

Comments inline [KJBII].

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcu, Matia [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 3:01 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Incoming ring

Hi all,

[KJBII] I don't see the value in repeatedly indicating the complete cadence.
I think it is entirely reasonable to assume that the MGC will indicate the
shortest possible cadence.  However, I'm not sure what you benefit you could
gain about assuming the MGC will signal the shortest possible cadence --
unless you're really looking to assume the encoding will repeat to fill the
longest pattern space.  In that case, I think you are asking for problems.

[KJBII] The draft (along with several others) will be published by end of
week to make the blackout deadline.  If IANA has not registered the packages
by the time the drafts are republished, they will be edited to include the
IANA info before going to RFC status.

Thank you,

Matia Marcu
System Engineer

---

From: "Kevin Boyle"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:01:57 -0500

Comments inline [KJBII].

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcu, Matia [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 3:01 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Incoming ring

Hi all,

Thank you,

Matia Marcu
System Engineer