Subject: RE: [Megaco] Problem?

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:05:35 -0500

This has been discussed before.  It is possible for the MG to monitor the
status of the MGC by various means, such as sending periodic ServiceChange
requests which always say it is in service.  It is desirable for the MGC to
be able to control how often those requests come in, to prevent overload.
This too could be done in various ways.  Christian Groves has proposed
establishing a signal on ROOT which sends periodic test messages.  This is
being legalized in H.248v2.

-----Original Message-----
From: zhangzhong [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 4:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Problem?

Hi all,
How can MGW found the MGC is failure if MGC can't send Out of service to
MGW.

For example:
Transport over UDP:
After MGW register, and receive SUCESS from MGC.
If no any message received from MGC later, how can MGW found it should
register to another MGW again?

Whether can we add some standard methods like heartbeat to protocol ?

I think it is a big problems if in network supporting DUAL HOMEING ,MGC
ruin, if MGW has no message needed to send to MGC, MGW will stay there all
the time. And even another server finding problems and take over the MGW,
but it will can't control it because it is still wait for the first MGC's
message .

Thanks and regards
Zhangzhong

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:41:43 -0500

Actually, I am the one proposing a way for MG to monitor MGC (not Christian).
A package was approved in concept in Dublin and I am the editor.  I have
submitted an updated draft to the meeting this week in Geneva.  I hope we will
consent it at this meeting.  Since this is a package it can be used with V1 as
well as V2. The first draft used a signal but after discussion in Dublin it was
decided that it should rather be an event set by MGC (it is widely felt that MG
should not be allowed to do this monitoring without MGC approval).  The
submitted draft can be accessed in the SG16 draft server at:
 ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/0202_Gen/TD_H248AnM.keepAlive.zip

--

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:41:43 -0500

--

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:33:31 +1100

G'Day Tom,

The reason we requested signal on root was not to initiate a keep alive
between MGC and MG but for keep alives to be sent between MGs.

Regards, Christian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:33:31 +1100

G'Day Tom,

Regards, Christian