Subject: [Megaco] protocol and document versions, v1, v2, etc.

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:59:22 -0400

Sorry, but I'm lost in the protocol and document versions again.

Basically, what are "V1", & "V2" (& "V3"?) and what documents (will)
define them?

Which version and document most closely matches "06/00 H.248 +
IG changes through 02/02" (or the 02/02 Corregendum)?

The pre-published 05/02 version of H.248.1 is in the ITU tree and says:

 > Products claiming compliance with Version 1 of H.248.1 shall comply
 > with all of the mandatory requirements of H.248.1 originally approved
 > in 06/2000 and reissued in 03/2002.

Does "reissued" mean "largely unchanged" or "with all the IG changes
through 02/02 (or the 02/02 Corregendum)"?
Where is this document available?

 > Products claiming compliance with Version 2 of H.248.1 shall comply
 > with all of the mandatory requirements of H.248.1 approved on 05/2002.

Is this 06/00 + the IG changes (02/02 Corregendum), or further out
functional changes.

 > Products shall indicate the version of the protocol in use by using
 > ServiceChangeVersion as '1' to refer to H.248.1 (03/2002) and '2' to
 > refer to H.248.1 (05/2002).

Are we really going to call these documents the same thing "H.248.1"
and refer to the dates to know the version?  Will both versions of the
document be available?  I thought the ITU didn't support multiple
versions anyway...

Only the pre-published 05/02 H.248.1 and the 06/00 H.248 documents
are available on the ITU pages.

Section 7.1.2 says:
 > Use of the ModemDescriptor is deprecated in H.248.1 (02/2002) and
 > subsequent versions.

Huh?  Which version?  (This deprecation date is mentioned several
places in the pre-pub 05/02 document.)

Also, concerning the IG's:  The 6/00 IG is on the IG page, while the
newer 08/01 IG is on the Superseded IG page.

Also, the megaco tree seems to be missing on
ftp://[email-masked] .

Thanks,
-troy

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco