Subject: [Megaco] Cancel Service Change (method=Graceful) mechanism

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:49:10 +0530

Hi

It seems the protocol doesnot define any procedure for cancelling an earlier
Service Change (method=Graceful) on a non-root termination.

Taking a practical case:
MG sends a Service Change (method=Graceful) on a termination with delay= 2
hours.
After 1 hour, MG realizes that it doesn't want to put the termination
out-of-service (after remaining 1 hour) as was earlier intended.
How to inform the MGC of the new intentions - cancel graceful..?
Sending Service Change (method =Restart) would mean that termination just came
InService and doesnot have any active descriptors, whereas this is not the case.

Solution:
MG sends Service Change (method = Graceful) delay =2 hours to inform MGC only
about the intentions.
MG sends Service Change (method = Forced) when the termination actually goes
out-of-service after 2 hours.
This ensures that if Service Change (method = Forced) never came, the intentions
of MG never got materialised.

Does any body have an alternative solution? Please suggest.

thanks,
kapil nayar
www.hssworld.com

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited (HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information  and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 11:04:44 +1100

Hello Kapil,

Please see my comments below.

Christian

> InService and doesnot have any active descriptors, whereas this is not the case.

[CHG] Method = Restart, Reason Warm Boot would work as Kevin mentions.

> Does any body have an alternative solution? Please suggest.

[CHG] Why do you need to do this? The MGC should have a timer of 2 hours
associated with that termination. So the MGC knows when to subtract the
termination from the context. The MGC should not use this termination for
traffic after it has subtracted it.

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 11:04:44 +1100

Hello Kapil,

Christian