Subject: [Megaco] Digitmap event remain active after onhook?

From: John Stock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:56:52 -0800

Hi all,

I was wondering about this - if a user goes offhook, and both the "dd/ce"
and the "al/on" events are active, and the user then goes onhook, is the
"dd/ce" (digitmap completion event) still active?  That is, might it still
time out via one of the timers, before it gets replaced by the new "al/of"
event descriptor?

The spec seems to address this in the case where the EventBufferControl is
LockStep ("The MG SHALL wait for a new EventsDescriptor to be loaded" in
7.1.9), however doesn't address it when EventBufferControl is OFF.

I looked through past emails, and couldn't find anything definitive (maybe I
missed it).  I saw this exchange in an old email:

>> Question :
>> While dialing the MG detects  the onhook events,  then will it happen the
>> DigitMapCompletion event?  If  it happens,  what  the kind of Termination
>> Method is ?
>> And,  Which event happens first ? Onhook or DigitMap Completion?
>        [[TomT]]
>        The usual case would be that the EventsDescriptor changes as a
>result of on-hook.  If this doesn't happen, DigitMapCompletion will come
>about as a result of timer expiry, and thus will generally follow some time
>after the on-hook.

However how does the EventsDescriptor "change"?  It's supposed to remain
active until replaced by another events descriptor, according to the spec.
Does this change refer to when the new "al/of" EventsDescriptor is sent?  If
so, then what about in the meantime before this message is received by the
MG?

It seems like it might be OK for this timeout and "dd/ce" event to still be
sent to the MGC after the "al/on" event, and if so of course the MGC should
handle it correctly.  Just wanted to see what everyone else thought.  Sorry
again if this has already been resolved.

Thanks.

John Stock
Systems Engineering
Advanced Fibre Communications
[email-masked]
707-792-6249

And now for the standard disclaimer (don't lawyers just make life fun?):

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the
named addressee(s), and may contain information that is legally privileged,
confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
a named addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the original sender
immediately by telephone or by return E-mail and delete this message, along
with any attachments, from your computer. Thank you.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:14:15 -0500

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: John Stock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 2:57 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Digitmap event remain active after onhook?

Hi all,

[KJBII] This is, in fact, the case.

I looked through past emails, and couldn't find anything definitive (maybe I
missed it).  I saw this exchange in an old email:

>> Question :
>> While dialing the MG detects  the onhook events,  then will it happen 
>> the DigitMapCompletion event?  If  it happens,  what  the kind of 
>> Termination Method is ? And,  Which event happens first ? Onhook or 
>> DigitMap Completion?
>        [[TomT]]
>result of on-hook.  If this doesn't happen, DigitMapCompletion will 
>come about as a result of timer expiry, and thus will generally follow 
>some time after the on-hook.

[KJBII] Yes, the change indicated is the replacement of the E descriptor.
In the meantime, the MG should continue to process the E descriptor it has.

[KJBII]  You supposition is correct, IMO.  If this potential race condition
is a concern, then the MGC could embed the al/of event on the al/on event,
and avoid the problem altogether.

Thanks.

John Stock
Systems Engineering

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:14:15 -0500

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: John Stock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 2:57 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Digitmap event remain active after onhook?

Hi all,

Thanks.

John Stock
Systems Engineering