Subject: RE: [Megaco] Long Timer!

From: Raphael Tryster <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:32:23 +0200

The answer appears in the paragraph after the next:

"The copy of the responses may be destroyed either LONG-TIMER seconds after
the response is issued, or when the entity receives a confirmation that the
response has been received, through the 'Response Acknowledgement
parameter'. For transactions that are acknowledged through this parameter,
the entity shall keep a copy of the transaction-id for LONG-TIMER seconds
after the response is issued, in order to detect and ignore duplicate copies
of the transaction request that could be produced by the network". 

So, if by "the Transaction has been successfully replied", you mean that the
MG has received a response acknowledgement for it, it may discard the reply,
but it must still keep the transaction-id until LONG-TIMER expires.  This is
because it may still receive an out-of-order retransmission of the original
request, and it has to know to ignore it as a duplicate.  If the MG has not
received a response acknowledgement, then it must keep both the
transaction-id and the reply until LONG-TIMER expires.  In this case, the MG
does not know whether its reply reached the MGC, so if it receives a
retransmission of the request, it has to retransmit the reply. 

Raphael Tryster

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	petric john [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Tuesday, 11 February, 2003 8:39 AM
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	[Megaco] Long Timer!

	wrt D.1.1 , the follwing text:

	>> Peer protocol entities are expected to keep in
	memory a list of the responses that they sent to
	recent transactions and a list of the transactions
	that are currently outstanding. The transaction
	identifier of each incoming message is compared to the
	transaction identifiers of the recent responses sent
	to the same MId. If a match is found, the entity does
	not execute the transaction, but simply repeats the
	response. If no match is found, the message will be 
	>> compared to the list of currently outstanding
	transactions. If a match is found in that list,
	indicating a duplicate transaction, the entity does
	not execute the transaction (see D.1.4 for procedures
	on sending TransactionPending). 

	-----

	Does it implies that even if the Transaction has been
	successfully replied, we have to retain the Reply till
	the Long Timer associated with it gets expired??

	~|~
	 o
	john.

	http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
	- Send some online love this Valentine's Day.
	_______________________________________________
	Megaco mailing list
	[email-masked]
	https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco