Subject: [Megaco] Re: Usage of LocalControl,Local and Remote Descriptors !

From: "Simran Chadha" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Feb 2003 05:21:56 -0000

Hi List,

Can someone please help me at the earliest on the issues raised 
earlier by me - particularly, usage of LocalControl,Local and 
Remote Descriptors ?

Thanks in advance.

Simran Chadha
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 Simran  Chadha wrote :
>Hi List,
>
>Can you please help me with clarifications in my understanding of 
>sections 7.1.7 and 7.1.8 on the use of LocalControl,Local and 
>Remote Descriptors.
>
>As per draft-ietf-megaco-3015corr-03, in section 7.1.7,
>If the value of a Reserve property is True, the MG SHALL reserve 
>resources for all alternatives specified in the Local and/or 
>Remote descriptors for which it currently has resources 
>available. It SHALL respond with the alternatives for which it 
>reserves resources. If it cannot not support any of the 
>alternatives, it SHALL respond with a reply to the MGC that 
>contains empty Local and/or Remote descriptors.
>The use of two negations - "cannot not" in the last statement 
>will imply that - If it can support any of the alternatives, it 
>SHALL respond with a reply to the MGC that contains empty Local 
>and/or Remote descriptors.
>I don't think this is what is meant to be conveyed here.
>
>Also in section 7.1.7 the first para starts - If the value of a 
>Reserve property is True, .....
>while the second para starts - If the value of a Reserve property 
>is False, ....
>Now as there are two Reserve properties - one Reserve Group and 
>the other Reserve Value, One could be False and the other could 
>be True. Then in this case what will be the inference - Should 
>para 1 apply or para 2 ? Both the paras would seem to be mutually 
>exclusive in what is needed to be done.
>
>Also statements like "if it cannot support any of the 
>alternatives ... " - will have two meanings.
>1. Any -  Not even one - NONE of the alternatives is supported.
>2. Any -  Atleast one   - While a few alternatives can be 
>supported, a few might not be.
>
>The protocol needs to be more clear on such aspects in the 
>documents henceforth. The English language is understood in 
>different parts of the world. Variations to agreed usage of the 
>language terms will make it difficult for new users of Megaco 
>protocol, like me.
>
>Can someone please educate me on the exact usage and meaning of 
>LocalControl,Local and Remote Descriptors ?
>
>Thanks and awaiting comments and clarifications
>
>Simran Chadha

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco