Subject: [Megaco] (no subject)

From: "Milton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:28:22 +0530

Dear All,

We all have seen the mail from Kevin that says: “IETF IS NOT INTERESTED IN
STANDARDIZING ANY PACKAGES”. He also said … I am quoting him:
“Given that the working group is in the process of winding down, I do not
see
any benefit to anyone in continuing to allow the IETF to hold up
standardization when the ITU is prepared to consider and advance the work.”

Although his comments ring true but his conclusion is frustrating. First and
foremost question is why you people have decided to “WIND DOWN” the working
group?
- If your decision is motivated by the fact that ITU is going to take care
of the protocol then why did IETF join hands with ITU in the first place? If
they (ITU and IETF) want to collaborate - then this is not the way to
COLLABORATE. IETF and ITU have totally different working styles and
philosophy - IETF is more democratic and open whereas ITU is rigorous in
process. We thought we would see the best of the both worlds!!!!!

-	If you people think that you are done with Megaco then in my opinion you
are grossly wrong. A protocol is named so because it gives people a
“standardized and optimized” set of rules for “interworking”. Does Megaco as
a protocol satisfy this definition? Hardly so. Megaco base protocol gives
you a framework - to make voice over packet network a reality, different
standards are to be developed on the top of this framework. AND OFCOURSE IT
IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE THREE DIFFERENT ORGANIZATIONS OR ASSOCIATIONS
(LIKE MSF) COMING UP WITH THREE DIFFERENT STANDARDS. It should be the
responsibility of these standard bodies to come up with “extensions” to the
“base protocol”  - standardizing packages give you that opportunity.
But of course, Kevin was right in saying that IETF is not “up and running”
and not working efficiently. I propose you people in IETF “MUST”(is to be
interpreted as described in RFC 2119) think again before winding up the
working group and we should think about finishing our job.

-Milton

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco