Subject: RE: [Megaco] (no subject)

From: Praveen Shivaswamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:14:45 -0400

Kevin,
 
thanks for the quick response. However here is my question.
 
Basic Analog line supervison package + Enhanced Analog line package
address the Loop start signaling requirements (as commented in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-taylor-megaco-enhalpkgs-01.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-taylor-megaco-enhalpkgs-01.txt>
). Which package addressess
other line side signaling models, like Ground start/Loop reverse battery
etc.
 
Also please see my inline response.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 1:21 PM
To: Praveen Shivaswamy; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Megaco] (no subject)

Comments inline.  [KJBII] 

Remember, GR303 is NOT trunks -- it's lines.  Taking packages that are built
specifically for trunking and trying to shoehorn GR303 into the model will
most certainly be difficult at best.

Kevin 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Praveen Shivaswamy [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:59 AM 
To: [email-masked]'; Praveen Shivaswamy 
Subject: [Megaco] (no subject) 

When trying to model GR-303 into the MG/MGC architecture i'm having hard
time trying to solve the problem stated below. Please advice,

1) As specified in draft-ietf-sigtran-gr303ua-00.txt, TMC/EOC/PPS is peeled
from the MG 
    and backhaul to the MGC. Thats fine. But a resulting side effect is that
i'm not 
    finding any reference that describes how to take care of this problem. 

   Assume CRV 1 is a loop start line and CRV 2 is a ground start line and
CRV 3 is 
   loop reverse battery line. Let us say we have DS0-1 allocated for calls
originating 
   from CRV 1,2 and 3 (each done seperately, but gets the same DS0). 

   For CRV 1 we need to do LS signaling on the DS0, later when CRV 2 gets
the 
   same DS0, we need to do GS signaling and so on and so forth. This calls
for 
   applying the signaling model (like LS/GS/LRB etc) on the fly. How do you
plan 
   achieve this? 

[KJBII] For GR303, call control signalling should be backhauled.  Would this
not go over the SCTP link? 
[Praveen Shivaswamy] Yes. That was my first statement. 

   This is not addressed in the rfc-3015 or
draft-manyfolks-megaco-caspackage-02. 
   In all the places it is assumed that the signaling model is
pre-provisioned. In case 
   of GR-303, signaling model can be logically tied to a CRV and not a DS0
(as done 
   for regular CAS lines/trunks). MG will not be provisioned with any CRV
information. 

[KJBII] I know of no CAS lines -- CAS is for trunking.  I know of no
handsets that generate MF digits.  Therefore, it seems that this should be
modeled as lines, and whatever trunking is present should be handled
independently.
[Praveen Shivaswamy] I was referring to a scenario where we can have CAS
lines coming from an IAD (channel bank) to the MG. These would be considered
as lines. 

2) Also should a GR303 termination and a regular CAS termination be
addressed 
    alike? Both are plain vanilla DS0's 

[KJBII] By addressed, do you mean network addressing for bearer?  If so, it
depends upon you implementation.  If you mean term names, then all terms
must have unique names within the MG.

3) Once we are done with the call there should be a way to shut off the RBS 
    detection/insertion  from the MG. How can the MG be instructed about
putting 
    the channel(s) into IDLE state. 

[KJBII] Subtract the term. 

Appreciate your response. 

Praveen Shivaswamy 
Telica Inc 

_______________________________________________ 
Megaco mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco>

---

From: "Ranjith Mukundan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:32:53 +0530

praveen, 
 
this is not the first time we are touching upon this topic - both on
sigtran and megaco; you are bound to find some stuff in the archives.
But here is a summary;
 
- GR303UA sigtran draft addresses the message based part - viz: TMC/CSC
and EOC.
- For the in-band signaling, as you've pointed out, you could use a
combination of packages [enhalpkg + Al supervision pkg) - but this does
*NOT* cater to all line types (incl LRB et al).
- As an alternative, you may also want to take a look at ATM Forum's LES
Using AAL2 - H.248 Signaling Addendum (BTD-VMOA-LESH248-01.02) which
provides a summary of how differnet gr303 signaling states can be mapped
to available pkgs' events and signals - of course, thats not a standard
way of supporting a new termination type (like gr303 DLC) off a gateway;
but is an alternative all the same.
 
I was working and was in discussion with Martin (cc'd here) for putting
together a comperehensive MEGACO-gr303pkg sometime back; but that got
droped off my list owing to other priorities. I'll review that draft
with Martin and mail it over to you in a couple weeks time from now for
your reference/inputs.
 
Also, another aspect to note is that of the voiceband data transmission
requirement (for support of supplementary services like callerID, MWI
etc over a DLC) over RTP while emulating a GR303 trunking over RTP. I am
in the process of putting together a RTP payload format for achieveing
this and will submit as an individual ID on the AVT soon.
 
hth,
ranjith..

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Praveen Shivaswamy
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:45 PM
To: 'Kevin Boyle'; Praveen Shivaswamy; [email-masked]'
Cc: John Hutchins
Subject: RE: [Megaco] (no subject)

Kevin,

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 1:21 PM
To: Praveen Shivaswamy; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Megaco] (no subject)

Comments inline.  [KJBII] 

Remember, GR303 is NOT trunks -- it's lines.  Taking packages that are
built specifically for trunking and trying to shoehorn GR303 into the
model will most certainly be difficult at best.

Kevin 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Praveen Shivaswamy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:59 AM 
To: [email-masked]'; Praveen Shivaswamy 
Subject: [Megaco] (no subject) 

1) As specified in draft-ietf-sigtran-gr303ua-00.txt, TMC/EOC/PPS is
peeled from the MG 
    and backhaul to the MGC. Thats fine. But a resulting side effect is
that i'm not 
    finding any reference that describes how to take care of this
problem. 

   Assume CRV 1 is a loop start line and CRV 2 is a ground start line
and CRV 3 is 
   loop reverse battery line. Let us say we have DS0-1 allocated for
calls originating 
   from CRV 1,2 and 3 (each done seperately, but gets the same DS0). 

   For CRV 1 we need to do LS signaling on the DS0, later when CRV 2
gets the 
   same DS0, we need to do GS signaling and so on and so forth. This
calls for 
   applying the signaling model (like LS/GS/LRB etc) on the fly. How do
you plan 
   achieve this? 

[KJBII] For GR303, call control signalling should be backhauled.  Would
this not go over the SCTP link? 
[Praveen Shivaswamy] Yes. That was my first statement. 

   This is not addressed in the rfc-3015 or
draft-manyfolks-megaco-caspackage-02. 
   In all the places it is assumed that the signaling model is
pre-provisioned. In case 
   of GR-303, signaling model can be logically tied to a CRV and not a
DS0 (as done 
   for regular CAS lines/trunks). MG will not be provisioned with any
CRV information. 

[KJBII] I know of no CAS lines -- CAS is for trunking.  I know of no
handsets that generate MF digits.  Therefore, it seems that this should
be modeled as lines, and whatever trunking is present should be handled
independently.
[Praveen Shivaswamy] I was referring to a scenario where we can have CAS
lines coming from an IAD (channel bank) to the MG. These would be
considered as lines. 

[KJBII] By addressed, do you mean network addressing for bearer?  If so,
it depends upon you implementation.  If you mean term names, then all
terms must have unique names within the MG.

3) Once we are done with the call there should be a way to shut off the
RBS 
    detection/insertion  from the MG. How can the MG be instructed about
putting 
    the channel(s) into IDLE state. 

Praveen Shivaswamy 
Telica Inc

---

From: "Ranjith Mukundan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:32:53 +0530

praveen, 

 

hth,
ranjith..

-----Original Message-----

Kevin,

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 1:21 PM
To: Praveen Shivaswamy; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Megaco] (no subject)

Comments inline.  [KJBII] 

Kevin 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Praveen Shivaswamy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:59 AM 
To: [email-masked]'; Praveen Shivaswamy 
Subject: [Megaco] (no subject) 

Praveen Shivaswamy 
Telica Inc