Subject: RE: [Megaco] Digit Maps: Long Duration Modifier(Z), Long Timers ( L), & Short T imers (S)

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:28:41 -0500

Since a range means "match one of these", I would agree with the assessment
that L and S are meaningless within a range.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: Steve Cipolli [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 5:22 PM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z40:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Digit Maps: Long Duration Modifier(Z), Long Timers (
L), & Short T imers (S)

Thanks for the feedback.  
 
Just to make sure I understand the L and S cases:
They are syntactically legal in a range specification, but semantically they
have no effect.  Correct?
 
--Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 5:15 PM
To: Steve Cipolli; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Digit Maps: Long Duration Modifier(Z), Long Timers (
L), & Short T imers (S)

Your interpretation is correct.  Because Z changes how a digit is matched,
it makes sense within a range.  Think of Z as part of the digit it modifies,
rather than a separate symbol.
 
The L and S timers within a digitmap give specific instruction as to which
timer to run at that point in the digitmap.  While allowed in a range, I
don't think they provide much value within a range since they do not
actually match anything.  For effective use, they should be outside the
range.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: Steve Cipolli [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 3:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Digit Maps: Long Duration Modifier(Z), Long Timers (L), &
Short T imers (S)

According to the syntax in RFCs 3015 & 3525 the long duration modifier (Z),
Long Timers (L), & Short Timers (S) in digit maps can appear in a digit
range.  For example (where Z is 1000ms):
    "135[2Z46]"
 
Is this valid?  If it is valid, does this mean that the fourth digit event
must be either 2, 6 (held for any duration) or 4 held for 1000 ms?
 
How does long timer (L) and short timer (S) in a digit range apply?
 
--Stephen

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:33:11 -0500

I disagree that "L" and "S" are meaningless within a range.

"L" and "S" are used to specify the timer used for "subsequent events".

I would argue that the "5" is a subsequent event in
"[34L]5", just as it is in "[34]L5".

I would also argue that the "4" in "[3L4]5" is NOT a "subsequent event",
although one might debate the definition of "subsequent".

In summary, I think "[L34]5", "[3L4]5", "[34L]5", and "[34]L5" are all
the same. (And the "L" is not meaningless.)

Note that section 7.1.14.3 does bother to specify what happens when explicit
timing specifiers are only active in some "alternatives", or when they
differ in among alternatives -- the same timer value is used for all
alternatives.

7.1.14.3:

 > In addition to these event symbols, the string may contain "S" and "L"
 > inter-event timing specifiers and the "Z" duration modifier. "S" and "L"
 > respectively indicate that the MG should use the short (S) timer or the
 > long (L) timer for subsequent events, overriding the timing rules
 > described above. If an explicit timing specifier is in effect in one
 > alternative event sequence, but none is given in any other candidate
 > alternative, the timer value set by the explicit timing specifier must be
 > used. If all sequences with explicit timing controls are dropped from the
 > candidate set, timing reverts to the default rules given above. Finally,
 > if conflicting timing specifiers are in effect in different alternative
 > sequences, the long timer shall be used.

-troy

---

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:33:11 -0500

-troy