Subject: Re: [Megaco] Embedded Events Behaviour

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:54:38 -0500

Kevin Boyle wrote:

> Your description is correct -- all events must be reported when detected,
> regardless of whether the event has signals and/or events embedded on it.  I
> believe others have described the text where this is stated.
> 
> I would point out that there are many differences between MGCP and H.248 --
> this being one of the smaller differences.  As for why, it is illegal to
> send a single Notify command with two Events descriptors.  This means that
> the MG would have to build messages with two commands, and so really isn't
> saving much over sending one message at the time of each event detection.
> Further, I cannot understand why it is good practice for the MG to hold onto
> event notifications for any length of time.  

Here's one:  Section 9.1 says that (for UDP) there should be at most one
outstanding Notify per Termination.  This is in order to guarantee that
the events reach the MGC in the right order.  This implies waiting for an ACK
before transmitting the next Notify.

What is the MG doing with events during this time?  Are the Notifies queued
for transmission regardless of whatever RequestedEvent descriptors are received
before they are transmitted?

-troy

> If the MGC wants to know an
> event occurred, then why wouldn't the MG send the event right away? The MGC
> may want to take action based upon the event, even if it had already
> embedded the next processing step.  By holding onto the notification, the MG
> is limiting the MGC's abilities.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:54:38 -0500

-troy