Subject: [Megaco] Profile negotiation

From: "Gillian Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:02:20 +1000

Dear Megaco members,

I'm trying to figure out how the Profile works in normal H.248 procedures.

For a MG implementation, it needs to have some agreement with MGC about the
packages supported, naming conventions, digit map listings, etc before
startup. They are specified in a Profile. How is the agreement achieved? I
believe this is done via both parties implementing their own H.248 stack on
the same profile agreement rather than a dynamic procedure. is it correct?
I also noticed that the ServiceChange descriptor had a parameter referred to
a profile supported. Is it specified for the dynamic negotiation procedure
or information only?

As for a digitmap which can be preloaded from the MGC, is it also outside
the normal H.248 procedure?

Thanks
Gillian

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:53:00 +1000

Hello Gillian,

A profile is a description of the capabilities of a H.248 interface. The MG can 
signal to a MGC that it can support certain profile/s. Using H.248 servicechange 
procedures the MGC can agree to use a certain profile. Once both the MGC and MG 
have agreed then the H.248 interface is limited to the functionality described 
in the profile. So the agreement on the profile is dynamic. The actual 
definition of the contents is static.

Hopefully in the H.248.1v3 time frame we'll further enhance the definition of 
profiles.

Regards, Christian