Subject: [Megaco] Question about network package, ServiceChange

From: Carsten Waitzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:53:51 +0200

Resent - because I am not sure whether message got through ...
Carsten

Hi,

A MGW with transmission ports houses mulitple "network terminations" 
(terminology according to E.11 network package).
The terminology of network termination is exclusivly used in the textual 
description of this package, thus one could conclude that this packet 
applies to:
- Packet (IP, ATM or possibly others) *network terminations* as well as
- Switched Circuit *network terminations*.
Looking to the package itself, it looks to me that the intention of the 
package is in fact more packet network termination related.
Is it allowed to apply the package for switched circuit network 
terminations as well?
If not, my suggestion is to add "packet" to the description: "This 
package defines properties of *packet* network terminations independent 
of network type".

The network package defines properties, events and statistics. The 
netfail event especially is used to notify per termination (if the MGC 
previously has subscribed for) the MGC "upon detection of a failure due 
to external or internal network reasons".
Assuming that a transmission port of the MGW fails the MG will send a 
bunch of netfail events related to all concerned network terminations. 
Additionally I assume that the MG will notify the MGC by means of 
ServiceChange (Method=Forced, Reason=transmission failure) for all 
concerned network terminations.
Is a netfail event subscription by the MGC making it obsolete for the MG 
to send ServiceChange?
If not, what is in general the added value of the netfail event compared 
to an anyhow sent ServiceChange notification?

thanks
Carsten

Carsten Waitzmann wrote:

> <<< No Message Collected >>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Megaco mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
>

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 09:59:43 -0400

The nt package is applicable to any termination type.  Note that the tdmc
package extends nt.

Note that the network can fail without the termination going out of service.
ServiceChange indicates changes of the ServiceState.  Netfail indicates
failure of the network.  While the two can be related, they do not have to
be.

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 6:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Question about network package, ServiceChange

Hi,

A MGW with transmission ports houses mulitple "network terminations" 
(terminology according to E.11 network package).
The terminology of network termination is exclusivly used in the textual
description of this package, thus one could conclude that this packet
applies to:
- Packet (IP, ATM or possibly others) *network terminations* as well as
- Switched Circuit *network terminations*.
Looking to the package itself, it looks to me that the intention of the
package is in fact more packet network termination related.
Is it allowed to apply the package for switched circuit network terminations
as well?
If not, my suggestion is to add "packet" to the description: "This package
defines properties of *packet* network terminations independent of network
type".

The network package defines properties, events and statistics. The netfail
event especially is used to notify per termination (if the MGC previously
has subscribed for) the MGC "upon detection of a failure due to external or
internal network reasons".
Assuming that a transmission port of the MGW fails the MG will send a bunch
of netfail events related to all concerned network terminations. 
Additionally I assume that the MG will notify the MGC by means of
ServiceChange (Method=Forced, Reason=transmission failure) for all concerned
network terminations.
Is a netfail event subscription by the MGC making it obsolete for the MG to
send ServiceChange?
If not, what is in general the added value of the netfail event compared to
an anyhow sent ServiceChange notification?

thanks
Carsten