Subject: [Megaco] A question about andisp/dwa pattern

From: zhao bo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:12:07 +0800

Hello Kevin:
    
In H.248.23, the description of pattern of anidisp/dwa is:

"The pattern is an abstract indication of the distinctive alerting pattern that will
be applied to the line. The default is no pattern which indicates that the data
transmission should not be associated with any signalling."

Does this mean if no pattern parameter present, the MG should not make 
any ringing before sending the data block? While the description of andisp signal does say:

"Therefore, this signal implies alerting,
which will be appropriately applied to the CPE by the gateway, based upon the
on-hook/off-hook status of the line."

So it's overrided by the pattern description?
Thanks and best regard

Zhao Bo
Huawei Technologies

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:16:49 -0400

First, let me state that whether alerting (which is not necessarily limited
to ringing) occurs before, after or concurrently with the delivery of the
display data to the CPE is a function to be determined by the MG based upon
its own local requirements.  It could even be handled differently for
different terminations on the same MG.  I would not assume that ringing
occurs prior to data delivery.

The spec is written as intended.  If the MGC intends there to be alerting
associated with the data delivery, then it must indicate the alerting style
to the MG via the pattern parameter.  The description was not intended as an
override, but rather as a concrete description of behaviour in the unlikely
event that the MGC did not include the pattern parameter.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: zhao bo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 12:12 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: A question about andisp/dwa pattern

Hello Kevin:

"The pattern is an abstract indication of the distinctive alerting pattern
that will be applied to the line. The default is no pattern which indicates
that the data transmission should not be associated with any signalling."

Does this mean if no pattern parameter present, the MG should not make any
ringing before sending the data block? While the description of andisp
signal does say:

"Therefore, this signal implies alerting, which will be appropriately
applied to the CPE by the gateway, based upon the on-hook/off-hook status of
the line."

Zhao Bo
Huawei Technologies