Subject: [Megaco] ServiceChange/Forced Question

From: David Cherkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:32:58 -0700 (PDT)

The description of ServiceChange in 7.2.8 #2 says:

Forced: indicates that the specified Terminations were taken abruptly
out of service and any established connections associated with them may
be lost. For non-Root terminations, the MGC is responsible for cleaning
up the Context (if any) with which the failed Termination is
associated. At a minimum, the Termination shall be subtracted from the
Context.

This last sentence seems ambiguous: is it saying (a) the MG must
subtract the termination from the context, OR, (b) the MG should expect
the MGC to issue a command that will subtract the termination from
the context?

I would have guessed (b) based just on the text I've quoted, but one
could guess (a) expecially if you read the rest of the paragraph.

Thanks,
Dave

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Raphael Tryster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:55:52 +0200

The answer is b).  This is what Kevin Boyle wrote about it on the 6th of
November 2003:

The MG is specifically prohibited from altering terminations or contexts
without MGC direction.  Because of this prohibition, the MGC MUST intervene
to clean up any contexts that existed at the time of communications loss.
The only exception to this is if the MG undergoes a Cold Boot, at which time
the MGC can assume that all state is lost and the MG is in a newly started
state.

Raphael Tryster

-----Original Message-----
From: David Cherkus [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 11:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] ServiceChange/Forced Question

Thanks,
Dave