Subject: RE: [Megaco] Virtual Media Gateways and amount of Termination IDs

From: Raphael Tryster <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:54:44 +0200

Do you mean that a physical MG might have several different signaling IP
addresses but NOT be divided into multiple virtual MGs?

Raphael Tryster

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 7:41 PM
To: Tamar Nemet
Cc: [email-masked]'; Raphael Tryster
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Virtual Media Gateways and amount of Termination IDs

Addressing IP interfaces of a H.248 MG is NO rationale for the introduction
of VMGs.
There are typically other requirements driving for VMG approaches. Even so,
the VMGs may share address space, or use disjoint IP addresses for the
diversity of IP applications served by a VoIP MG. This depends on the
specific use case and underlying network architecture.

So, please not misread § 11.1/H.248.1.

Rgds,
Albrecht
ALCATEL

                      Tamar Nemet

                      <tamar.nemet@com         To:      "'Raphael Tryster'"
<[email-masked]>, Tamar Nemet                        
                      match.com>               <[email-masked]>,
"[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>                     
                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      megaco-bounces@i         Subject: RE: [Megaco] Virtual
Media Gateways and amount of Termination IDs            
                      etf.org

                      08.06.2005 14:05

 Can the SoftSwitch use different FQDNs for virtual media gateways and not
the ip address and port of the physical Media gateway ?

Tamar

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]]
      Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 3:17 PM
      To: 'Tamar Nemet'; [email-masked]'
      Subject: RE: [Megaco] Virtual Media Gateways and amount of
      Termination IDs

      They can use different UDP ports.  The answer to your second question
      is No, but I would also be interested to hear different answers from
      others.

      Raphael Tryster

            -----Original Message-----
            From: Tamar Nemet [mailto:[email-masked]]
            Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 12:31 PM
            To: Raphael Tryster; Tamar Nemet; [email-masked]'
            Subject: RE: [Megaco] Virtual Media Gateways and amount of
            Termination IDs

             Hello raphael,

             Thanks for your answer. But I can't understand how the
            SoftSwitch can use multiple ROOTs if the all the Virtual Media
            Gateways has the same IP address ?

            Did you see any SoftSwitch that uses the Virtual MediaGateways
            ?

            Thanks,
            Tamar

                  -----Original Message-----
                  From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]]
                  Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 1:54 PM
                  To: 'Tamar Nemet'; [email-masked]'
                  Subject: RE: [Megaco] Virtual Media Gateways and amount
                  of Termination IDs
                  There is no requirement to artificially split a large
                  gateway into multiple virtual MGs.  You might have other
                  reasons for wanting to split it.  For example, there
                  might be different sets of global characteristics that
                  you want to set differently for subsets of your
                  terminations, so you would like to have multiple ROOTs.
                  Or, you might want different sets of terminations to be
                  controlled by different soft switches.

                  Raphael Tryster

                        -----Original Message-----
                        From: Tamar Nemet [mailto:[email-masked]]
                        Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:22 AM
                        To: [email-masked]'
                        Subject: [Megaco] Virtual Media Gateways and amount
                        of Termination IDs

                        Hello,

                        I have some questions regarding Virtual media
                        gateway:

                        1. I have one physical media gateway (with one IP
                        address). We can define up to 4400 Termination IDs
                        on this media gateway.
                            Does we have to devide the termination IDs to
                        some virtual media gateways or we can work with no
                        virtual media gateway ?

                        2. Does SoftSwitches uses the Virtual Media Gatway
                        object? for what ?

                        Thanks,
                        Tamar
                         _______________________________________________
                        Megaco mailing list
                        [email-masked]
                        https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:03:46 +0200

If you mean with "signaling IP@" the IP@ used for H.248 transport then NO.

1) A H.248 MG (= VMG or non-VMG) is denoted by a single H.248 Control
Association (see § F.2/H.248.1).
The Control Association is mapped on a "transport connection", in case of
IP dependent on UDP, TCP or SCTP transport.
In case of SCTP, you MAY(theoretically) use different IP@s for the "SCTP
multihoming" capability. But there are other realization possibilities as
well.

2) The H.248 Message ID may be IP@-based as well. Both IP@s are firstly
decoupled, but there are concepts (see certain H.248 Profiles), which
correlating both.

Regards
Albrecht
ALCATEL

                      Raphael Tryster                                                                                           
                      <raphael@tdsoft.         To:      Albrecht SCHWARZ/DE/ALCATEL@ALCATEL, Tamar Nemet                        
                      com>                     <[email-masked]>                                                       
                                               cc:      "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>                                   
                      09.06.2005 07:54         Subject: RE: [Megaco] Virtual Media Gateways and amount of Termination IDs       

Raphael Tryster

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 7:41 PM
To: Tamar Nemet
Cc: [email-masked]'; Raphael Tryster
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Virtual Media Gateways and amount of Termination IDs

of VMGs.

Rgds,
Albrecht
ALCATEL

                      Tamar Nemet

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      megaco-bounces@i         Subject: RE: [Megaco]
Virtual Media Gateways and amount of Termination IDs

                      etf.org

                      08.06.2005 14:05

Tamar

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]]
      Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 3:17 PM
      To: 'Tamar Nemet'; [email-masked]'
      Subject: RE: [Megaco] Virtual Media Gateways and amount of
      Termination IDs

      Raphael Tryster

            -----Original Message-----

             Hello raphael,

            Thanks,
            Tamar

                  -----Original Message-----

                  Raphael Tryster

                        -----Original Message-----

                        of Termination IDs

                        Hello,

                        Thanks,
                        Tamar