Subject: [Megaco] ASN-ABNF differences in H.248.1 V3

From: "B Venkat S.R Swamy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:19:14 +0530

Hi

Please find attached word document capturing the differences of ASN and ABNF constructs in H.2481. V3(Sep 2005). The differences are mostly

in the Individual AuditItems grammar. The aim of the document is to achieve the consistency in the grammar for both ASN and ABNF.

Would request you all to comment on the differences, so that the necessary correction can be taken in V3 IG by authors.

(See attached file: H248.1_v3_ASN_TEXT_differences.doc)

regards

B Venkat S.R Swamy

Senior Technical Leader

Flextronics Software Systems

Phone: +91-124- 4176213

Fax: +91-124-4300247

web: www.flextronicssoftware.com

*********************** FSS-Restricted ***********************

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software

Systems Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the

individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or

confidential information and should not be circulated or used for

any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received

this message in error, please notify the originator immediately.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are

strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing

the contents of this message. FSS accepts no responsibility for

loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted

by this email including damage from virus."

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:27:12 +1000

Hello,

I agree that we should have consistency between the ASN.1 and ABNF 
versions of H.248 many of the proposed changes go further than what we 
can do in an implementor's guide. In an implementor's guide we can offer 
clarifications of behaviour but cannot change syntax. A version update 
of the protocol is needed to do this. Even when a new version is 
produced it has to be done in a backwards compatible manner. So for 
instance: we can't remove the OPTIONALity of a parameter in the syntax, 
but we can say that from version X on this parameter is mandatory. I 
believe the vice versa is true also, we can't make a mandatory parameter 
suddenly be OPTIONAL in the ASN.1 (although i'd be very happy for a 
ASN.1 expert to correct me on this).

In q.3/16 we do have a "living list" of items which we are collecting 
for inclusion into H.248.1v4 when we decide to start working on it.

So my question is given the above explanation, what part of your 
proposal do you believe can go into an IG and what needs to wait until 
H.248.1v4?

Regards, Christian

B Venkat S.R Swamy wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please find attached word document capturing the differences of ASN 
> and ABNF constructs in H.2481. V3(Sep 2005). The differences are mostly
> in the Individual AuditItems grammar. The aim of the document is to 
> achieve the consistency in the grammar for both ASN and ABNF.
>
> Would request you all to comment on the differences, so that the 
> necessary correction can be taken in V3 IG by authors.
>
>
> /(See attached file: H248.1_v3_ASN_TEXT_differences.doc)/
>
> regards
> B Venkat S.R Swamy
> Senior Technical Leader
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:54:47 -0400

One clarification: We can alter the syntax in the IG, but only if it is
a problem with the syntax that is a severe defect.  Syntax loops,
missing required symbols or different elements both defined as the same
symbol are good examples of issues we can fix in the IG.  Mismatches
between the ABNF and the ASN.1, inconvenient expression or items "left
out" are not issues that we can syntactically correct in the IG.

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Groves [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 10:27 PM
To: B Venkat S.R Swamy
Cc: megaco ietf
Subject: Re: [Megaco] ASN-ABNF differences in H.248.1 V3

Hello,

Regards, Christian

B Venkat S.R Swamy wrote:

> and ABNF constructs in H.2481. V3(Sep 2005). The differences are 
> mostly in the Individual AuditItems grammar. The aim of the document 
> is to achieve the consistency in the grammar for both ASN and ABNF.
>
> confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any 
> purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this 
> message in error, please notify the originator immediately.
> strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the 
> contents of this message. FSS accepts no responsibility for loss or 
> damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this 
> email including damage from virus."
>