Subject: [Megaco] Outstanding event request

From: "Ron Ho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:08:01 -0400

Hi All,

My understanding of the requested event is there could be only one
outstanding event requested at any moment for a single termination.
MGC cannot send two commands with two different event request ids and
expecting notify request to be sent from MG for the first request once
the second request is received as only the last event request id is
kept by the MG. Am I correct? What about provisioned event request?
They are not requested by MGC but provisioned in configuration. Does
MG send the provisioned event as well as the event requested from MGC?
Is it allowed?

Also, can two commands addressing to the same termination be sent
without waiting for the response to the first command first? In other
word, can I have two commands (e.g. Add followed by Modify) addressing
to the same termination in a single transaction?

Thanks,
Ron

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:18:06 +1000

Hello Ron,

The MGC can set as many events as it likes on a termination. When the 
event is detected it is reported. There is no ordering implied by when 
events are set. The requestId is keep per event as it is used by the MGC 
to uniquely identify the event instance.

Provisioned events need to be provisioned on both the MGC and MG. 
Otherwise if the MGC sends down an events descriptor without the 
provisioned event it may inadvertantly delete the provisioned event. In 
some instances this may be the desirable behaviour.

2 commands on a single termination is possible but the results may be 
unpredictable. e.g. if there is network delay on the ADD and the MOD 
arrives first then you'll get an error. In my opinion its better to wait 
and be certain of the behaviour.

Regards, Christian

---

From: "Ron Ho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:11:02 -0400

I understand that we can set as many events in a termination as we
like. But do they need to be in the same request?

In section 7.1.9, it states:

"An EventsDescriptor received by a media gateway replaces any previous
   Events descriptor.  Event notification in process shall complete, and
   events detected after the command containing the new EventsDescriptor
   executes, shall be processed according to the new EventsDescriptor.

   An empty Events Descriptor disables all event recognition and
   reporting.  ..."

If I interpret it correctly, my last event requested in a termination
will be replaced by a new one when a new request is sent, effectly
stopping my last event detection. As such, I cannot request 3 events
detection by sending them in three seperate messages.

Therefore, if I want to maintain the old event detection and add a new
one, I need to send a new event request having both my old event and
the new event to be detected in the event descriptor. Am I right? And
since the new event have a new event requestId, any event detected
will not have my old requestid anymore, right?

I am really confused.

Many thanks,
Ron

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:56:32 -0400

Right.  You can only have a single active Events Descriptor on a
termination at any given time.  Your analysis below is correct.

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Ho [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:11 AM
To: Christian Groves
Cc: megaco
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Outstanding event request

I understand that we can set as many events in a termination as we like.
But do they need to be in the same request?

Therefore, if I want to maintain the old event detection and add a new
one, I need to send a new event request having both my old event and the
new event to be detected in the event descriptor. Am I right? And since
the new event have a new event requestId, any event detected will not
have my old requestid anymore, right?

I am really confused.

Many thanks,
Ron

> events are set. The requestId is keep per event as it is used by the 
> MGC to uniquely identify the event instance.
>
> provisioned event it may inadvertantly delete the provisioned event. 
> In some instances this may be the desirable behaviour.
>
> arrives first then you'll get an error. In my opinion its better to 
> wait and be certain of the behaviour.
>
> Regards, Christian
>
> Ron Ho wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > MGC cannot send two commands with two different event request ids 
> > and expecting notify request to be sent from MG for the first 
> > request once the second request is received as only the last event 
> > request id is kept by the MG. Am I correct? What about provisioned
event request?

> > without waiting for the response to the first command first? In 
> > other word, can I have two commands (e.g. Add followed by Modify) 
> > addressing to the same termination in a single transaction?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ron
> >