Subject: [Megaco] Interaction of transmitted media streams with transmitted signals (that are received as media)

From: "Stephen Mell \(CV/ETL\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:10:47 +0100

Hello,

I'm directing this query primarily to H.248 authors because I have
already seen an answer to a similar question given previously on the
mailing list which I believe to be incorrect.

If a media stream is being transmitted from the Centre of a Context
toward a termination, and a signal (of a kind that is received as media
at the termination's far end) with Tone direction External is then
applied to the termination (without changing the media stream's mode),
should the media flow to the termination from the H.248 Gateway consist
of:

( A ) The signal only ?

( B ) The media (from the Context) only ?

( C ) An overlayed mix of the signal and the context media ?

I can't find a definitive statement about this signal/media interaction
in either v2 or v3. Any pointers here?

Kind Regards,

Steve Mell

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:16:09 -0500

When we were hammering out the basic operation of Megaco/H.248, 
particularly at the Redbank meeting, the conclusion that I recall was 
that the signal and media stream would be mixed.

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:29:58 +1100

Hello,

Yes I agree that the base assumption is that the signal and media stream 
would be mixed. So if the stream mode is send (or send/receive) in 
general I would answer (c). However there's no reason that a signal 
can't be defined to interrupt the media. The overlayed mix may also not 
result in a audible mixed stream. e.g. if it is specified that the tone 
is carried via RFC4733. So there may also be a dependency on the media 
payload type to see if it can actually carry the tone.

Regards, Christian