Subject: Re: [Megaco] IndAudMediaDescriptor

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 14:42:20 +1000

Hello Raphael,

Please see my responses below.

Regards, Christian

Raphael Tryster wrote:
> >From 7.2.5 text describing the AuditValue command:
>
>    ¸    To audit an individual property in the media descriptor the 
>         relevant stream ID (optional), group ID(optional) and 
>         propertyID are included. The current value of the property is 
>         returned. Group ID is used in the case where the local control 
>         Reserve Group flag is used. Group ID 1 corresponds to the first 
>         group (session decription) reserved, Group ID 2 the next group 
>         etcetera.
>
> I see this groupID and propertyID described in ASN.1 but not in ABNF.  Does it / should it exist in ABNF?
>   
[CNG] The issue here is that as the ABNF uses SDP for the local and 
remote descriptors it doesn't use the formal groupID, propertyID 
structures. See H.248.1 sect 7.1.8. The MGC must use SDP to specify the 
information it requires to audit. This isn't fully described but 
H.248.39 shows how you can identifying parameters.
> Also, is it correct that it is possible to audit an individual property of a single stream or all streams in the media descriptor, but it is not possible to audit all properties of a single stream?
>   
[CNG] When you say stream do you mean by simply auditing the streamID 
that you'd get back local, remote, local control and statistics 
descriptors for the stream? I think its certainly possible to request 
individually for each of the local, remote, statistics descriptors for a 
stream. E.g. If you want all the local descriptor properties then you 
would individual audit the required StreamID and then for the package 
name you would use */*.
>  
> Raphael Tryster
>
> _______________________________________________
> Megaco mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
>
>
>
>
>   

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Raphael Tryster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 08:48:17 +0200

Hello Christian,

... and Tuesday morning.

Thanks for the reply.  I see the information to which you referred in H.248.39, but the text I quoted also appears in H.248 version 2, which does not have auditing local and remote descriptors, hence my puzzlement.

I see now another difference between versions 2 and 3 regarding audit of the media descriptor: version 3 allows repeated parameters, e.g. multiple indAudlocalParm in indAudlocalControlDescriptor, whereas version 2 allows only one.  So in version 3 it would be possible to audit the mode, reservevalue, reservegroup and all package properties of a local control descriptor in one command using */*, but in version 2 it is not.  Was there some deliberate reason for the restriction in version 2, or was it an oversight?
 
Regards, 
 
Raphael Tryster

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Groves [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 6:42 AM
To: Raphael Tryster
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] IndAudMediaDescriptor

Hello Raphael,

Regards, Christian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 17:12:05 +1000

G'Day Raphael,

I agree always good to start the morning with helpful emails... should 
be more of them :).

I usually base my comments on H.248.1v3 as lot of issues have been 
clarified/fixed in this version.
 From memory it was probably an oversight, I can't imagine why we'd 
knowlingly disallow this.

Regards, Christian

---

From: "Raphael Tryster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 09:30:04 +0200

G'Day Christian,

I wonder if there is still an oversight in v3 regarding termination
state audit.

indAudterminationStateDescriptor = TerminationStateToken LBRKT
indAudterminationStateParm RBRKT

; at-most-once per item
indAudterminationStateParm = pkgdName / propertyParm /
ServiceStatesToken
[(EQUAL/INEQUAL) serviceStatesValue ] / BufferToken
; When values are included a Select operation is implied.
; AND/OR logic is specified at context level.

I don't see how it makes sense to say "at-most-once" if only one
instance of indAudterminationStateParm is allowed.  Compare this with
local control, where indAudlocalParm can be repeated, as we discussed
previously.

indAudlocalControlDescriptor = LocalControlToken LBRKT indAudlocalParm
*(COMMA indAudlocalParm) RBRKT

; at-most-once per item
indAudlocalParm = ModeToken [(EQUAL/INEQUAL) streamModes]/ pkgdName /
propertyParm / ReservedValueToken / ReservedGroupToken
; propertyparm and streamModes are used only to specify audit selection
; criteria. AND/OR selection logic is specified at context level.

Regards,

Raphael Tryster

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Groves [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:12 AM
To: Raphael Tryster
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] IndAudMediaDescriptor

G'Day Raphael,

Regards, Christian

Raphael Tryster wrote:
> Hello Christian,
>
> ... and Tuesday morning.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I see the information to which you referred in
H.248.39, but the text I quoted also appears in H.248 version 2, which
does not have auditing local and remote descriptors, hence my
puzzlement.
>
> I see now another difference between versions 2 and 3 regarding audit
of the media descriptor: version 3 allows repeated parameters, e.g.
multiple indAudlocalParm in indAudlocalControlDescriptor, whereas
version 2 allows only one.  So in version 3 it would be possible to
audit the mode, reservevalue, reservegroup and all package properties of
a local control descriptor in one command using */*, but in version 2 it
is not.  Was there some deliberate reason for the restriction in version
2, or was it an oversight?

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 13:14:02 +1000

Hello Raphael,

Something to add to the IG.

Regards, Christian