Subject: RE: [Megaco] Megaco support for RFC 2833

From: "Raphael Tryster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:33:39 +0300

Judging by the lack of replies in the last 4 years and 5 days, there
probably wasn't much interest in this then.  I am wondering if anything
has changed in the meantime.  It seems that digit duration could be
communicated quite easily using basic Megaco.  To generate a DTMF tone
with a given duration, just use the SigDuration parameter of the Signals
descriptor.  To report a tone detected with a given duration, use
tonedet/etd with the dur parameter in ObservedEvents.  But what about
requesting or reporting tone volume?  Has anything been defined to
support this?

Raphael Tryster

________________________________

From: Ed Luff [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 10:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Megaco support for RFC 2833

All,

It does not appear as though a Megaco package exists to support RFC 2833
for RTP flow terminations.

I suppose the question would be whether the existing basic "DTMF
detection Package" should be extended, or whether a new package should
be defined.

A few additional questions and possible new requirements...

-          RFC 2833 defines the decimal encodings for DTMF named events
and E.182 line events.  Would a Megaco DigitMap be created, or would the
MGC and MG simply use the decimal encodings defined in RFC 2833?

-          As the RTP payload type for 'telephone-event' is established
dynamically, during the signaling between two clients (for example, two
SIP clients).  It would appear then that the RTP Payload type value
would need to be signaled from the MGC to the MG.

-          The MGC may request the MG to event notify based on the
'volume' and 'duration' of the event.

-          The MG may need to pass up the 'event', 'volume' and
'duration' values, as defined in the payload format for
'telephone-event'

Ed

Newport Networks Ltd.

www.newport-networks.com

office   (613)-591-8440

mobile (613)-864-1194

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:51:42 +1000

Hello Raphael,

To my knowledge nothing has been defined that allows volume control 
associated with the tones packages in H.248.1 Annex E. The closest work 
would be in H.248.9 and H.248.7 which allows volume control of 
announcements. Also H.248.19 allows volume control in mixing.

Is there an interest on the Megaco list to have a volume parameter 
associated with tones?

Regards, Christian

Raphael Tryster wrote:
> probably wasn’t much interest in this then. I am wondering if anything 
> with a given duration, just use the SigDuration parameter of the 
> Signals descriptor. To report a tone detected with a given duration, 
> use tonedet/etd with the dur parameter in ObservedEvents. But what 
> about requesting or reporting tone volume? Has anything been defined 
> to support this?
>
> Raphael Tryster
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> *From:* Ed Luff [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Thursday, July 10, 2003 10:36 PM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [Megaco] Megaco support for RFC 2833
>
> All,
>
> It does not appear as though a Megaco package exists to support RFC 
> 2833 for RTP flow terminations.
>
> I suppose the question would be whether the existing basic “DTMF 
> detection Package” should be extended, or whether a new package should 
> be defined.
>
> A few additional questions and possible new requirements…
>
> - RFC 2833 defines the decimal encodings for DTMF named events and 
> E.182 line events. Would a Megaco DigitMap be created, or would the 
> - As the RTP payload type for ‘telephone-event’ is established 
> dynamically, during the signaling between two clients (for example, 
> two SIP clients). It would appear then that the RTP Payload type value 
> - The MGC may request the MG to event notify based on the ‘volume’ and 
> ‘duration’ of the event.
>
> - The MG may need to pass up the ‘event’, ‘volume’ and ‘duration’ 
> values, as defined in the payload format for ‘telephone-event’
>
> Ed
>
> Newport Networks Ltd.
>
> www.newport-networks.com <http://www.newport-networks.com>
>
> office (613)-591-8440
>
> mobile (613)-864-1194
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>