Subject: RE: [Megaco] Megaco Subtract question

From: "Saurabh, Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:34:50 +0530

Sudhanshu,

I would like to differ from your interpretation that in the given case
"command optional has no value add". I believe that if a command
contains a wildcarded TerminationID, the command is attempted with each
of the actual TerminationIDs matching the wildcard which means that in
this case subtract command would be attempted on each termination in the
context. 

My interpretation of wildcard subtract with optional flag O- is:

Even if one of the subtract command attempted on the termination within
the context fails (due to some reason), MG would continue to apply the
subtract command on the rest of the terminations in the context. This is
based on the text in the section 8.2.2 of H.248 V3 "If the optional
command generates an error, the transaction still continues to execute
..."

Whereas, if the optional flag (O-) is not specified in the wildcard
subtract, the execution of wildcard subtract command would terminate as
soon as it encountered an error and the subtract command would not be
applied on rest of the terminations in the context.

In case of no error the subtract response would look similar to the
normal success response for wildcard subtract

MEGACO/1 [10.0.1.100]:2944

REPLY = 372513544 {

   CONTEXT = 10 {

      SUBTRACT = 10/1/1@GATEWAY {

             nt/os=45123, 

             nt/or=45123, 

             nt/dur=40000 

      },

      SUBTRACT = 10/1/2@GATEWAY {

             nt/os=45123, 

             nt/or=45123, 

             nt/dur=40000 

      }

   }

}

If there is an error generated while applying subtract command on the
first termination (say 10/1/1@GATEWAY), MG would continue to
process/apply the command on the other terminations in the context and
generate the following response

MEGACO/1 [10.0.1.100]:2944

REPLY = 372513544 {

   CONTEXT = 10 {

      SUBTRACT = 10/1/1@GATEWAY {

             Error=xxx {"Text Description"}

      },

      SUBTRACT = 10/1/2@GATEWAY {

             nt/os=45123, 

             nt/or=45123, 

             nt/dur=40000 

      }

   }

}

Regards,

Saurabh

  _____  

From: Sudhanshu Garg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 16:51
To: Ramesh Babu Kuppili
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Megaco Subtract question

Hi, 

o- is for tell the MG that i is optional command. 
So even if the command fails (for any termination), MG should execute
further commands in the transaction. 

However in this case there is no further command in the transaction so
making the command optional has no value add. 

Section 8 in H.248.1 provides the information on optional commands. 

For this transaction, response will be normal as for any other subtract
command with wildcarded termination 

Regards, 

Sudhanshu Garg 

Engineering Project Manager 

A R I C E N T 

The Presidency Tower - A 

351 / 2, Sector 14, M. G. Road 

Gurgaon 122001, Haryana, India 

Main     +91 124. 417.6218 

Fax      +91 124.417.6224 

Mobile  +91 999.950.0798

Ramesh Babu Kuppili <[email-masked]> 

12/13/2007 04:32 PM 

To

[email-masked] 

cc

Subject

[Megaco] Megaco Subtract question

Hi Megaco Gurus, 
  
I am receiving the following substract message from MGC: 
  
!/1 [10.129.32.20]:2944 T=372513544{C=10{O-S=*}} 
I see that the MGC is trying to subtract all terms from context 10.  But
what is the "0" for.  How should the response look in this case. 
  
Thanks in advance. 
  
- ramesh_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

***********************  Aricent-Unclassified   *********************** 

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended
solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended.
If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of
this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by
this email including damage from virus."

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Raphael Tryster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:15:36 +0200

I disagree with Saurabh, based on the following text in H.248.1 section
8:
 
At the first failing command in a transaction, processing of the
remaining commands in that transaction stops. If a command contains a
wildcarded TerminationID, the command is attempted with each of the
actual TerminationIDs matching the wildcard. A response within the
TransactionReply is included for each matching TerminationID, even if
one or more instances generated an error. If any TerminationID matching
a wildcard results in an error when executed, any commands following the
wildcarded command are not attempted.
 
Therefore, I think it is correct that in the example given, the O- has
no added value.
 
Raphael Tryster
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Saurabh, Kumar [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:05 PM
To: Sudhanshu Garg; Ramesh Babu Kuppili
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Megaco Subtract question
 
Sudhanshu,

 

 

Regards,
Saurabh
 
________________________________

Hi, 

  
A R I C E N T 
  
The Presidency Tower - A 
  
Main     +91 124. 417.6218 
Fax      +91 124.417.6224 
Mobile  +91 999.950.0798

Subject

Hi Megaco Gurus, 

  
Thanks in advance. 

 
**********************************************************************************************
IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the 
named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager or the sender immediately and do 
not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
*** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals, and malicious content. ***
**********************************************************************************************

---

From: Sudhanshu Garg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:54:55 +0530

Hi Saurabh,

MG executes the command for all designated terminations irrespective of 
the command being optional or not.

Making a command optional will have impact only on further commands.

Snippet from H.248.1 V3 is attached.
Section 8:
"At the first failing command in a transaction, processing of the 
remaining commands in that transaction stops. If a command contains a 
wildcarded TerminationID, the command is attempted with each of the actual 
TerminationIDs matching the wildcard. A response within the 
TransactionReply is included for each matching TerminationID, even if one 
or more instances generated an error. If any TerminationID matching a 
wildcard results in an error when executed, any commands following the 
wildcarded command are not attempted.
Commands may be marked as "Optional" which can override this behaviour ? 
if a command marked as Optional results in an error, subsequent commands 
in the transaction will be executed. If a command fails, the MG shall, as 
far as possible, restore the state that existed prior to the attempted 
execution of the command before continuing with command processing."

Regards,
Sudhanshu Garg
 
A R I C E N T
 
The Presidency Tower - A
 
Main     +91 124. 417.6218
Fax      +91 124.417.6224
Mobile  +91 999.950.0798

"Saurabh, Kumar" <[email-masked]> 
12/13/2007 05:34 PM

To
Sudhanshu Garg/HSS@HSS, "Ramesh Babu Kuppili" <[email-masked]>
cc
<[email-masked]>
Subject
RE: [Megaco] Megaco Subtract question

Sudhanshu,
 
I would like to differ from your interpretation that in the given case 
"command optional has no value add". I believe that if a command contains 
a wildcarded TerminationID, the command is attempted with each of the 
actual TerminationIDs matching the wildcard which means that in this case 
subtract command would be attempted on each termination in the context. 

 
In case of no error the subtract response would look similar to the normal 
success response for wildcard subtract

If there is an error generated while applying subtract command on the 
first termination (say 10/1/1@GATEWAY), MG would continue to process/apply 
the command on the other terminations in the context and generate the 
following response

Regards,
Saurabh

Hi, 

Regards, 
Sudhanshu Garg 
  
A R I C E N T 
  
The Presidency Tower - A 
  
Main     +91 124. 417.6218 
Fax      +91 124.417.6224 
Mobile  +91 999.950.0798

To
[email-masked] 
cc
 
Subject

Hi Megaco Gurus, 

  
Thanks in advance. 

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended 
solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or 
confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If 
you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended 
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of 
this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this 
email including damage from virus."

***********************  Aricent-Restricted   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."
_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco