Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] FW: Mentoring program

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:15:37 -0700

Thoughts?

On 3/12/14 12:49 AM, "Mirjam Kuehne" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi Alissa,
>
>This sounds like an interesting task, and I'd love to take this on. But
>especially in the weeks leading up to the IETF meetings, I'll have to
>focus on the Sunday tutorials and other Edu Team tasks which can be
>quite a bit of work. So it's probably not wise to take on another task.
>I am sorry if I got your hopes up when I offered my help after the
>systers lunch in London.
>
>Having said that, I still wonder if this might be a task the Edu Team
>could help coordinate - in which case it could end up on my plate after
>all :)
>
>The existing Edu Team infrastructure could help with some of the tasks
>you describe below: we're in close contact with Robert Sparks regarding
>Edu Team tools, and with Alexa and Jari about deciding about and
>announcing the tutorials.
>
>Just an idea. What do you think? If you think this could work, I'll
>discuss this with the other Edu Team members.
>
>Regards,
>Mirjam
>
>
>On 10/3/14 9:49 PM, Alissa Cooper wrote:
>> Hi Mirjam,
>>
>> I had a chat with the other mentoring program coordinators and we'd like
>> to find one person to take the lead on the mentoring program going
>> forward. The tasks involved would be:
>>
>> 1. Find some more coordinators to do mentor matches (Gen-ART would be a
>> good place to start asking).
>> 2. Work with the coordinators to determine what kind of tools are needed
>> to help with doing the matching (thus far we've been doing everything by
>> hand/via email/with a Google spreadsheet, and it would be good to
>>improve
>> upon that). Robert Sparks is willing to help with the tooling needs.
>> 3. Work with Alexa and Jari to get the announcements out to the
>> appropriate lists prior to the IETF meetings to let people know they can
>> sign up as mentors and mentees.
>> 4. Ping the coordinators at the appropriate times to get them to do the
>> matching and complete any last-minute matches.
>> 5. Solicit feedback from mentors/mentees after meetings (we have a
>>survey
>> we've been using already).
>> 6. Think about other creative ways to make the mentor program a success!
>>
>> This isn't actually a ton of work, but it does require some attention
>> particularly in the weeks leading up to the meetings. If you're willing
>>to
>> take this on, let me know!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alissa
>>
>>
>

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 07:42:22 -0400

I don't see an issue with the Edu Team taking on the management of the
program.

Brian

On 3/12/14 12:15 PM, Alissa Cooper wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> mentoring-coordinators mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mentoring-coordinators
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 08:46:04 -0500

Seems like a good fit to me

---

From: Karen ODonoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:24:01 -0400

While this does seem like a reasonable fit, I have two observations:

1. First I was a bit confused by Mirjam's email about not having the 
time before an
IETF because of EDU obligations. This seems to conflict a bit with the 
suggestion to
have the EDU team do it.

2. I think they need to be distinct enough that people can scope 
expectations when they
volunteer to help. As Brian so kindly pointed out about me last week, we 
are all busy and
some of us sometimes get over committed. I'm interested in helping the 
mentoring
program, but I don't really have the time at the moment to be engaged in 
the whole EDU
program. It would be nice to keep the activities narrowly scoped for 
that reason.

Karen

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:48:14 -0400

I *think* (based on the wording of Mirjam's e-mail) that the plan would
be for the EDU Team to take over the role that Coop and I have been
filling.  The mentoring coordinators would stay focused on matching
mentors & mentees, keeping the mentor FAQs up-to-date, etc.  The EDU
Team would worry about making sure there were enough coordinators and
mentors within the program.

Is that how others are interpreting Mirjam?

Brian

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:46:01 -0700

> Is that how others are interpreting Mirjam?

Yes.  Seems to me to be an appropriate role for the EDU team.  Might add some visibility if integrated with announcements of other EDU programs, in addition to the obvious benefit of reducing Brian's and Alissa's workloads.

- Ralph

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 16:48:33 -0700

On 3/18/14 9:46 AM, "Ralph Droms" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Yes.  Seems to me to be an appropriate role for the EDU team.  Might add
>some visibility if integrated with announcements of other EDU programs,
>in addition to the obvious benefit of reducing Brian's and Alissa's
>workloads.

I asked Mirjam to have a chat with the EDU team to see if they would be
willing to take this on.

Alissa