Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] FW: Mentoring program

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 08:39:18 -0700

See the message below from Mirjam. To me this does not sound so good. I
think we might do better to ask around to see if we can find a volunteer
or two to lead this effort, and let that person/those people decide how
much they want to engage with the EDU team. Thoughts?

Alissa

On 4/4/14 4:56 AM, "Mirjam Kuehne" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi Alissa,
>
>I brought this up with the Edu Team. The good news is: there are no
>objections. The bad news is: not many people responded. If we take this
>on, we certainly need some more active members on the team (that's our
>problem of course). In any case we would like to have one or more of the
>current mentoring coordinators on the team - and if only to help with
>this particular project. Maybe they are interested to also help with
>some of the other Edu Team activities?
>
>By when will you have to know for sure if the Edu Team can take this up?
>
>And if you have any suggestion for an energetic new Edu Team member,
>please let me know :-)
>
>Regards,
>Mirjam
>
>On 28/3/14 12:47 AM, Alissa Cooper wrote:
>> The mentoring coordinators like the idea of the EDU team taking this on,
>> so if you could have a conversation with them and let me know what the
>> result is, that would be great.
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> Alissa
>> 
>> On 3/12/14 12:49 AM, "Mirjam Kuehne" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>>> Hi Alissa,
>>>
>>> This sounds like an interesting task, and I'd love to take this on. But
>>> especially in the weeks leading up to the IETF meetings, I'll have to
>>> focus on the Sunday tutorials and other Edu Team tasks which can be
>>> quite a bit of work. So it's probably not wise to take on another task.
>>> I am sorry if I got your hopes up when I offered my help after the
>>> systers lunch in London.
>>>
>>> Having said that, I still wonder if this might be a task the Edu Team
>>> could help coordinate - in which case it could end up on my plate after
>>> all :)
>>>
>>> The existing Edu Team infrastructure could help with some of the tasks
>>> you describe below: we're in close contact with Robert Sparks regarding
>>> Edu Team tools, and with Alexa and Jari about deciding about and
>>> announcing the tutorials.
>>>
>>> Just an idea. What do you think? If you think this could work, I'll
>>> discuss this with the other Edu Team members.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mirjam
>>>
>>>
>>> On 10/3/14 9:49 PM, Alissa Cooper wrote:
>>>> Hi Mirjam,
>>>>
>>>> I had a chat with the other mentoring program coordinators and we'd
>>>>like
>>>> to find one person to take the lead on the mentoring program going
>>>> forward. The tasks involved would be:
>>>>
>>>> 1. Find some more coordinators to do mentor matches (Gen-ART would be
>>>>a
>>>> good place to start asking).
>>>> 2. Work with the coordinators to determine what kind of tools are
>>>>needed
>>>> to help with doing the matching (thus far we've been doing everything
>>>>by
>>>> hand/via email/with a Google spreadsheet, and it would be good to
>>>> improve
>>>> upon that). Robert Sparks is willing to help with the tooling needs.
>>>> 3. Work with Alexa and Jari to get the announcements out to the
>>>> appropriate lists prior to the IETF meetings to let people know they
>>>>can
>>>> sign up as mentors and mentees.
>>>> 4. Ping the coordinators at the appropriate times to get them to do
>>>>the
>>>> matching and complete any last-minute matches.
>>>> 5. Solicit feedback from mentors/mentees after meetings (we have a
>>>> survey
>>>> we've been using already).
>>>> 6. Think about other creative ways to make the mentor program a
>>>>success!
>>>>
>>>> This isn't actually a ton of work, but it does require some attention
>>>> particularly in the weeks leading up to the meetings. If you're
>>>>willing
>>>> to
>>>> take this on, let me know!
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Alissa
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>> 
>> 
>

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 12:03:02 -0400

I agree that does not sound good and that we would be better off finding
a couple of volunteers to lead the mentoring effort going forward.  I
suggest we all start thinking of people who might fit the role.

Regards,
Brian

On 4/4/14 11:39 AM, Alissa Cooper wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> mentoring-coordinators mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mentoring-coordinators
>

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:15:26 -0700

I sent around the role description below to a few folks to solicit ideas
for people who might be willing to lead the mentoring program. Please send
suggestions of people if you have them.

---

The IETF mentoring program is looking to find one
or two people to take the lead on the mentoring program going
forward. The tasks involved would be:

1. Find some more coordinators to do mentor matches. (The Gen-ART team
might be a
good place to start asking).

2. Work with the coordinators to determine what kind of tools are needed
to help with doing the matching (thus far we've been doing everything by
hand/via email/with a Google spreadsheet, and it would be good to
improve upon that). Robert Sparks is willing to help with the tooling
needs.

3. Work with Alexa Morris and Jari Arkko to get the announcements out to
the
appropriate lists prior to the IETF meetings to let people know they can
sign up as mentors and mentees.

4. Ping the coordinators at the appropriate times to get them to do the
matching and complete any last-minute matches.

5. Solicit feedback from mentors/mentees after meetings (we have a
survey we've been using already).

6. Think about other creative ways to make the mentor program a success!

This isn't actually a ton of work, but it does require some attention
particularly in the weeks leading up to the meetings. The folks currently
involved in the mentoring program would be available to help the new
leaders 
get going.