Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] Fw: [edu-team] Call for action: Transitioning Edu Team content to new IETF web site

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 16:21:06 +0000 (UTC)

Greg,
We should have talked before this!
What should we do about the mentoring information for the new web site? Thanks,
Nalini ElkinsInside Products, Inc.www.insidethestack.com(831) 659-8360

----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
 To: EDU Team <[email-masked]> 
 Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:14 AM
 Subject: [edu-team] Call for action: Transitioning Edu Team content to new IETF web site
   
Hi all,

Greg Wood called me yesterday and gave me an update on the new web site
and the plans for transitioning content to the appropriate new pages.
They would like to move the Edu Team content within the next week or so
and there are a number of actions for the Edu Team:

1) List of tutorials

We need to decide which tutorials we want to move to the new web site
and which ones can be removed because they are out of date:

http://www.ietf.org/edu/tutorials.html

Note that these tutorials will be linked from various places. For
instance the area overview tutorials will show up on the area pages
rather than on a "tutorials page".

In general I suggest to remove everything that has not been updated in
the last three years. Maybe except for the area overviews and the
newcomers tutorials in other languages? What do you think?

I discussed with Greg the possibility to create a "tutorial archives"
page where some of the older material could still be stored, but some of
it might clearly be outdated and not useful anymore at this stage.

2) List of WG Chairs lunch sessions

The same applies to the WG chairs lunch session. Here I suggest to keep
all those that actually have some information (slides, description,
notes) attached to them. For internal Edu Team administration we can
always refer back tot he wiki if we want to find out what has been
presented before. What do you think?

3) General Edu related material

This refers to the Tao and a couple of pages Brian maintains. See here
for the most recent discussion/decision about this:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/edu-team/GfcQm3H13aVv-Qz_axWQoBfoI54

How to make progress? Do we need to discuss this with Jari? I think
having the Edu Team act as a directorate for these pages is fine. But at
this point I don't think we have enough resources to actively maintain
them. Any suggestions?

4) Team member pages

Greg suggested we add some more information about each Edu Team member:
a picture and a short bio. Could you please start collecting this
information.

Kind regards,
Mirjam

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Greg Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:46:54 -0500

Hi Nalini,

It looks like there are 3 pages related to mentoring on the www.ietf.org site:

resources/mentoring-faq-mentor.html
resources/mentoring-faq-participant.html
resources/mentoring-program.html

So transitioning content should be pretty straight forward.

My recommendation will be to link this into the “Participate and support” section of the revamped site, which is where we expect folks to look for how ways about how to get involved in the IETF.

As I mentioned to Mirjam, one of the goals of the new site (and advantages of the new system) is to make it easier to integrate links to related information across the site. The goal of linking to tutorials from web pages on particular topics that Mirjam mentions is an example of that.

Also as I mentioned to Mirjam, we’ll be sure to share the results of the proposed approach before the transition happens.

Hope that helps,

-Greg

> On Feb 17, 2016, at 11:21 AM, <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Greg,
> 
> What should we do about the mentoring information for the new web site?
>  
> Thanks,
> 
> Nalini Elkins
> Inside Products, Inc.
> www.insidethestack.com
> (831) 659-8360
> 
> 
>