Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] Mentoring introductions

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 19:13:41 -0700

Dear Rob Butts and John	Levine,

Welcome to the mentoring programme! In this programme we aim to
facilitate knowledge transfer between experienced IETF-ers and new
participants in the community. The IETF is not your typical
organization so some help along the way might help you make your
landing a bit smoother, so you will stay with us longer!

It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. John	Levine has
kindly offered to be Rob Butts's mentor for IETF102. Rob Butts has
expressed a specific interest in HTTP, HTTP/2.

The mentorship aims to have three parts: 

0. Introduction conversations before the meeting
1. Face to face meeting at the beginning of the meeting
2. Check-in during the week.

It would be great if you could meet early in the week and discuss
questions, interests, and 'how-to-get-things-done' in the IETF,
and perhaps have a follow-up during the week to check-in whether
there are any questions.  Hopefully you'll both have the chance
to attend the newcomer's meet-and-greet on Sunday at 16:00.

You both have the responsibility to make meetings between you happen,
but it would be great if the mentor would take the lead in setting up
the first meeting.

As mentee it would help if you follow your interests within the IETF:
Ask the mentor what you think you need to make the meeting a
success. The mentor is there to help you, but the mentor likely also
knows many things that "you don't know you need to know"!

Good topics of conversation include the IETF toolchain, the meeting
agenda, the IETF app, how to use jabber rooms, the IETF document
datatracker (where all Internet Drafts, Working Group and Research
Group agenda's and RFCs can be found), and more! Much of this info can
also be found in the Tao of the IETF at https://ietf.org/tao .

Specific questions about your favorite topics of interest are wise to
discuss such as: relevant working groups or research groups, relevant
authors, working group chairs and area directors.  You might want to
discuss trending issues in the upcoming meetings (also check the ISOC
"rough guides" in the IETF journal)

Please let us if there is any way in which we can support your
interactions.  Please mail any questions you have to
[email-masked].

Best,
Wes and Niels
Mentoring Program Leaders