Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] Mentoring introductions

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 19:19:56 -0700

Dear Toerless Eckert and Neta Rozen Schiff,

Welcome to the mentoring programme! In this programme we aim to
facilitate knowledge transfer between experienced IETF-ers and new
participants in the community. The IETF is not your typical
organization so some help along the way might help you make your
landing a bit smoother, so you will stay with us longer!

It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. Neta Rozen Schiff has
kindly offered to be Toerless Eckert's mentor for IETF102. Toerless Eckert has expressed a specific interest in NTP, security, MPTCP.

The mentorship aims to have three parts: 

0. Introduction conversations before the meeting
1. Face to face meeting at the beginning of the meeting
2. Check-in during the week.

It would be great if you could meet early in the week and discuss
questions, interests, and 'how-to-get-things-done' in the IETF,
and perhaps have a follow-up during the week to check-in whether
there are any questions.  Hopefully you'll both have the chance
to attend the newcomer's meet-and-greet on Sunday at 16:00.

You both have the responsibility to make meetings between you happen,
but it would be great if the mentor would take the lead in setting up
the first meeting.

As mentee it would help if you follow your interests within the IETF:
Ask the mentor what you think you need to make the meeting a
success. The mentor is there to help you, but the mentor likely also
knows many things that "you don't know you need to know"!

Good topics of conversation include the IETF toolchain, the meeting
agenda, the IETF app, how to use jabber rooms, the IETF document
datatracker (where all Internet Drafts, Working Group and Research
Group agenda's and RFCs can be found), and more! Much of this info can
also be found in the Tao of the IETF at https://ietf.org/tao .

Specific questions about your favorite topics of interest are wise to
discuss such as: relevant working groups or research groups, relevant
authors, working group chairs and area directors.  You might want to
discuss trending issues in the upcoming meetings (also check the ISOC
"rough guides" in the IETF journal)

Please let us if there is any way in which we can support your
interactions.  Please mail any questions you have to
[email-masked].

Best,
Wes and Niels
Mentoring Program Leaders

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 22:25:50 +0200

Thanks, Wes

Neta: This is my first time as a mentor, so i'll have to learn
the ropes for myself. I'll arrive friday night,  i sent you a linkedin
invite, so you have my cell phone number.

Will you be there on sunday ? If you are, a good way to get started
is to go to the newcomers overview at noon. I might want to drop in as
well to hear what the IETF bigwits are telling newcomers this time.

For more freeform exchange, given how this is your first time at
IETF, you qualify for the free snacks at the newcomers meet & greet
on sunday afternoon. Good place to meet also other WG chairs.

Wes: any more "how to be a good mentor literature ? ;-)"

Cheers
    Toerless

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:05:48 -0700

Hi Toerless,

I'm going to try to put something together in the next day or two.
Currently traveling for work, so sorry about the delay.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:25 PM, Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > kindly offered to be Toerless Eckert's mentor for IETF102. Toerless
> Eckert has expressed a specific interest in NTP, security, MPTCP.
> >
> _______________________________________________
> mentoring-coordinators mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mentoring-coordinators
>

-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI

---

From: Neta R S <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 11:11:36 +0300

Hi Toeless,

Thank you for being my mentor!
My flight arrives to Montreal on Sunday evening (it was scheduled before I
knew about the newcomers events..), so unfortunately, I would miss them.
However, we can meet on Monday.
I'm presenting in the ANRW, and on the afternoon session 2 (15:50-17:50), I
would like to participate in the MPTCP meeting.

Please let me know when we can meet on Monday,
Thanks,
Neta