Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] Mentoring Introductions

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 15:15:43 +0200

Dear Ryan Hu and John Klensin,

Welcome to the mentoring programme! In this programme we aim to
facilitate knowledge transfer between experienced IETF-ers and new
participants in the community. The IETF is not your typical
organization so some help along the way might help you make your
landing a bit smoother, so you will stay with us longer!

It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. Mahesh Jethanandani
has kindly offered to be Chris Lemmons's mentor for IETF102. Chris
Lemmons has expressed a specific interest in CDNI, HTTPBIS.

The mentorship aims to have three parts:

0. Introduction conversations before the meeting
1. Face to face meeting at the beginning of the meeting
2. Check-in during the week.

It would be great if you could meet early in the week and discuss
questions, interests, and 'how-to-get-things-done' in the IETF,
and perhaps have a follow-up during the week to check-in whether
there are any questions.  Hopefully you'll both have the chance
to attend the newcomer's meet-and-greet on Sunday at 16:00.

You both have the responsibility to make meetings between you happen,
but it would be great if the mentor would take the lead in setting up
the first meeting.

As mentee it would help if you follow your interests within the IETF:
Ask the mentor what you think you need to make the meeting a
success. The mentor is there to help you, but the mentor likely also
knows many things that "you don't know you need to know"!

Good topics of conversation include the IETF toolchain, the meeting
agenda, the IETF app, how to use jabber rooms, the IETF document
datatracker (where all Internet Drafts, Working Group and Research
Group agenda's and RFCs can be found), and more! Much of this info can
also be found in the Tao of the IETF at https://ietf.org/tao .

Specific questions about your favorite topics of interest are wise to
discuss such as: relevant working groups or research groups, relevant
authors, working group chairs and area directors.  You might want to
discuss trending issues in the upcoming meetings (also check the ISOC
"rough guides" in the IETF journal)

Please let us if there is any way in which we can support your
interactions.  Please mail any questions you have to
[email-masked].

Best,
Wes and Niels
Mentoring Program Leaders

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Researcher and PhD Candidate
Datactive Research Group
University of Amsterdam

PGP fingerprint	   2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Researcher and PhD Candidate
Datactive Research Group
University of Amsterdam

PGP fingerprint	   2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 15:50:23 +0200

Dear Ryan and John,

Sorry to maybe have created some confusion with the second paragraph of
my original email, this is what it should have been:

It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. John Klensin
has kindly offered to be Chris Lemmons's mentor for IETF102. Ryan Hu has
expressed a specific interest in Internet of Things, 6lo.

Best,

Niels

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:56:48 -0400

Niels,

I realize it is getting very close to IETF and that everyone is
becoming overwhelmed, but I found your note very confusing.  Do
you intend that I be a mentor for Ryan?  Are you going to
perform an introduction, or should we just introduce ourselves
to each other, starting with Ryan's telling me what he is
interested in?

thanks
    john

--On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 15:15 +0200 Niels ten Oever
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> facilitate knowledge transfer between experienced IETF-ers and
> new participants in the community. The IETF is not your typical
> organization so some help along the way might help you make
> your landing a bit smoother, so you will stay with us longer!
> 
> It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. Mahesh
> Jethanandani has kindly offered to be Chris Lemmons's mentor
> for IETF102. Chris Lemmons has expressed a specific interest
> in CDNI, HTTPBIS.
> 
> It would be great if you could meet early in the week and
> discuss questions, interests, and 'how-to-get-things-done' in
> the IETF, and perhaps have a follow-up during the week to
> check-in whether there are any questions.  Hopefully you'll
> both have the chance to attend the newcomer's meet-and-greet
> on Sunday at 16:00.
> 
> You both have the responsibility to make meetings between you
> happen, but it would be great if the mentor would take the
> lead in setting up the first meeting.
> 
> As mentee it would help if you follow your interests within
> the IETF: Ask the mentor what you think you need to make the
> meeting a success. The mentor is there to help you, but the
> mentor likely also knows many things that "you don't know you
> need to know"!
> 
> Good topics of conversation include the IETF toolchain, the
> meeting agenda, the IETF app, how to use jabber rooms, the
> IETF document datatracker (where all Internet Drafts, Working
> Group and Research Group agenda's and RFCs can be found), and
> more! Much of this info can also be found in the Tao of the
> IETF at https://ietf.org/tao .
> 
> Specific questions about your favorite topics of interest are
> wise to discuss such as: relevant working groups or research
> groups, relevant authors, working group chairs and area
> directors.  You might want to discuss trending issues in the
> upcoming meetings (also check the ISOC "rough guides" in the
> IETF journal)
>

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:04:58 -0400

Niels,

Still confused.  I thought your prior note assigned Chris Lemmon
to Mahesh Jethanandani, not to me.   More important, if you do
plan to assign Ryan to me, I know just about zero about IoT
activities in the IETF (I couldn't even tell you what the
relevant area is or, in all likelihood, introduce Ryan to the
Area Director(s)) and quite a bit less about 6lo.  So, while I
can offer general advice and information about how IETF works, I
think Ryan would be much better off if you could find someone
who was at least generally familiar with the relevant Area(s).
If you cannot and think I'm better than nothing, please at least
give me some hints about relevant Areas and WGs.  

This is, of course, the problem I mentioned when I inquired as
to whether or not I should apply this year.

thanks,
    john

--On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 15:50 +0200 Niels ten Oever
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear Ryan and John,
> 
> Sorry to maybe have created some confusion with the second
> paragraph of my original email, this is what it should have
> been:
> 
> has kindly offered to be Chris Lemmons's mentor for IETF102.
> Ryan Hu has expressed a specific interest in Internet of
> Things, 6lo.

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 16:05:36 +0200

Hi John,

Sorry for the confusion, in the mean time I sent you a clarification.
Just to be clear. You will indeed be Ryan's mentor, and his interest is
in lpwan, 6lo, 6tisch.

Again sorry for the confusion, I have been sending too many email. My
apologies.

Best,

niels

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 16:13:05 +0200

Dear John,

As explained in my previous two emails, I linked you to Ryan. The link
between Chris and Mahesh was a leftover from a previous email.

We believe Ryan could greatly benefit from your rich experience and
knowledge about the IETF, so it would be great if you could introduce
Ryan to the environment.

Thanks in advance,

Niels

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:55:20 -0400

--On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:20 -0400 Peng Hu
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear John,
> 
> It's very nice to e-meet you here. My general interests are on
> lpwan, 6lo, and 6tisch. I would like to learn from you about
> how IETF works, how to get involved in IETF activities, etc. I
> will be in Montreal on late Monday afternoon and Tuesday, and
> I look forward very much to meeting you in person.

Dear Peng,

Ok.  We will see what we can do as long as you (and Niels)
understand that I have had almost no contact with the Internet
Area (which includes all three of those WGs) in the last several
years.  Unfortunately, if you are not coming in until Monday
afternoon and there only late that afternoon and Tuesday, we may
have only very narrow windows those two days, which are my
busiest.  I _may_ be available Monday between 1600 and 1700 and
am definitely available Tuesday breakfast and between 1400 and
1530 but, right now, that is about it.  I have so little going
on Thursday and Friday that I'm about to revise my schedule to
leave Thursday afternoon.

What is your convenience and do you have questions I can answer
before you get to Montreal?

best,
    john