Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] Mentoring introductions

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:59:29 -0700

Dear Thomas Slagle and Fred Baker,

Welcome to the mentoring programme! In this programme we aim to
facilitate knowledge transfer between experienced IETF-ers and new
participants in the community. The IETF is not your typical
organization so some help along the way might help you make your
landing a bit smoother, so you will stay with us longer!

It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. Fred Baker has kindly
offered to be Thomas Slagle's mentor for IETF102. Thomas Slagle has
expressed a specific interest in STRI, SIPCORE.

Note that Fred has graciously offered to mentor more than one person,
so he may ask that he holds a group meeting to reduce his time schedule
and to promote wider interaction.

The mentorship aims to have three parts: 

0. Introduction conversations before the meeting
1. Face to face meeting at the beginning of the meeting
2. Check-in during the week.

It would be great if you could meet early in the week and discuss
questions, interests, and 'how-to-get-things-done' in the IETF,
and perhaps have a follow-up during the week to check-in whether
there are any questions.  Hopefully you'll both have the chance
to attend the newcomer's meet-and-greet on Sunday at 16:00.

You both have the responsibility to make meetings between you happen,
but it would be great if the mentor would take the lead in setting up
the first meeting.

As mentee it would help if you follow your interests within the IETF:
Ask the mentor what you think you need to make the meeting a
success. The mentor is there to help you, but the mentor likely also
knows many things that "you don't know you need to know"!

Good topics of conversation include the IETF toolchain, the meeting
agenda, the IETF app, how to use jabber rooms, the IETF document
datatracker (where all Internet Drafts, Working Group and Research
Group agenda's and RFCs can be found), and more! Much of this info can
also be found in the Tao of the IETF at https://ietf.org/tao .

Specific questions about your favorite topics of interest are wise to
discuss such as: relevant working groups or research groups, relevant
authors, working group chairs and area directors.  You might want to
discuss trending issues in the upcoming meetings (also check the ISOC
"rough guides" in the IETF journal)

Please let us if there is any way in which we can support your
interactions.  Please mail any questions you have to
[email-masked].

Best,
Wes and Niels
Mentoring Program Leaders

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:35:03 -0700

Thanks, Wes. Hi Thomas.

Thomas, I don’t know what your flight schedule is. I arrive on AC 760 just before 18:00 Saturday, and expect to be at the Fairmont about 19:00. My phone/WhatsApp is +1-805-637-0529; tell me yours and I’ll text you when I’m in the hotel. I’d suggest we meet for dinner or drinks tomorrow evening before things start.

Sunday afternoon, there are several tutorials. You want to sit in; there’s a lot of good information. I’ll meet you, if not before, at the newcomer’s reception at 16:00, and introduce you to the sipcore chairs and ADs.

Sent using a machine that autocorrects in interesting ways...

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 10:59 AM, Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 17:12:27 -0700

A little more information, now that I'm home :-)

The agenda for the IETF meeting is at https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/agenda/. sipcore meets Friday morning; its agenda (from the IETF agenda) is https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/agenda-102-sipcore-00. That said, the agenda is pretty useless. Attached, you will find (in a format I find useful as a working group chair planning my agenda) the documents up for discussion in sipcore, including their datatracker (status), html (content), and rfcdiff (changes from the previous version). What I would make sure I had read for that meeting will be the documents in last call or updated since the March meeting.

I don't know what STRI is; I'm hoping it's a mistype of "stir". If so, stir meets Wednesday afternoon, nd its agenda is at https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/agenda-102-stir-00. I have also included my "raw" data, for your amusement.

Let's talk about this further Saturday night.

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 2:35 PM, Fred Baker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Thanks, Wes. Hi Thomas.
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 20:12:41 -0400

Hi Thomas. I am now in the hotel. I don't have your phone number, so I'll hope to see you at the newcomer's reception Sunday. If it works for you, I am meeting another mentee for lunch Sunday at the IETF Registration area; feel free to join us.

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 8:12 PM, Fred Baker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> <raw-agenda-data-sipcore.html><raw-agenda-data-stir.html>