Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] Mentoring Introductions

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 15:07:24 +0200

Dear Stere Preda and Yaron Sheffer,

Welcome to the mentoring programme! In this programme we aim to
facilitate knowledge transfer between experienced IETF-ers and new
participants in the community. The IETF is not your typical
organization so some help along the way might help you make your
landing a bit smoother, so you will stay with us longer!

It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. Mahesh Jethanandani
has kindly offered to be Chris Lemmons's mentor for IETF102. Chris
Lemmons has expressed a specific interest in CDNI, HTTPBIS.

The mentorship aims to have three parts:

0. Introduction conversations before the meeting
1. Face to face meeting at the beginning of the meeting
2. Check-in during the week.

It would be great if you could meet early in the week and discuss
questions, interests, and 'how-to-get-things-done' in the IETF,
and perhaps have a follow-up during the week to check-in whether
there are any questions.  Hopefully you'll both have the chance
to attend the newcomer's meet-and-greet on Sunday at 16:00.

You both have the responsibility to make meetings between you happen,
but it would be great if the mentor would take the lead in setting up
the first meeting.

As mentee it would help if you follow your interests within the IETF:
Ask the mentor what you think you need to make the meeting a
success. The mentor is there to help you, but the mentor likely also
knows many things that "you don't know you need to know"!

Good topics of conversation include the IETF toolchain, the meeting
agenda, the IETF app, how to use jabber rooms, the IETF document
datatracker (where all Internet Drafts, Working Group and Research
Group agenda's and RFCs can be found), and more! Much of this info can
also be found in the Tao of the IETF at https://ietf.org/tao .

Specific questions about your favorite topics of interest are wise to
discuss such as: relevant working groups or research groups, relevant
authors, working group chairs and area directors.  You might want to
discuss trending issues in the upcoming meetings (also check the ISOC
"rough guides" in the IETF journal)

Please let us if there is any way in which we can support your
interactions.  Please mail any questions you have to
[email-masked].

Best,
Wes and Niels
Mentoring Program Leaders

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Researcher and PhD Candidate
Datactive Research Group
University of Amsterdam

PGP fingerprint	   2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 15:52:02 +0200

Dear Stere and Yaron,

Sorry to maybe have created some confusion with the second paragraph of
my original email, this is what it should have been:

It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. Yaron Sheffer
has kindly offered to be Stere Preda's mentor for IETF102. Stere Preda
has expressed a specific interest in security.

Best,

Niels

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:19:11 +0300

I deeply apologize, but I simply don't have the capacity for a second 
mentee, and in fact (I probably missed something) I wasn't expecting one.

Thanks,
	Yaron

---

From: Stere Preda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 15:27:58 +0000

Hi,

Thank you all for your messages. And no worries Yaron, I understand perfectly the situation. 

Best regards,
Stere Preda, PhD Eng

-----Original Message-----
From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]> 
Sent: July-11-18 11:19 AM
To: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>; Stere Preda <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Mentoring Introductions

I deeply apologize, but I simply don't have the capacity for a second mentee, and in fact (I probably missed something) I wasn't expecting one.

Thanks,
	Yaron

On 11/07/18 16:52, Niels ten Oever wrote:
> Dear Stere and Yaron,
> 
> Sorry to maybe have created some confusion with the second paragraph 
> of my original email, this is what it should have been:
> 
> It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. Yaron Sheffer has 
> kindly offered to be Stere Preda's mentor for IETF102. Stere Preda has 
> expressed a specific interest in security.
> 
> Best,
> 
> Niels
> 
>> 0. Introduction conversations before the meeting 1. Face to face 
>> meeting at the beginning of the meeting 2. Check-in during the week.
>>
>> questions, interests, and 'how-to-get-things-done' in the IETF, and 
>> perhaps have a follow-up during the week to check-in whether there 
>> are any questions.  Hopefully you'll both have the chance to attend 
>> the newcomer's meet-and-greet on Sunday at 16:00.
>>
>> Ask the mentor what you think you need to make the meeting a success. 
>> The mentor is there to help you, but the mentor likely also knows 
>> many things that "you don't know you need to know"!
>>
>> Group agenda's and RFCs can be found), and more! Much of this info 
>> can also be found in the Tao of the IETF at https://ietf.org/tao .
>>

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:25:30 -0700

Yaron,

Sorry about that.  I think I missed marking you as having been assigned one
in the first round and the fault was mine.  I apologize.

Stere,

Fear not!  We'll find you a new one shortly.  (you should have just
received another request)

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:19 AM, Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> mentoring-coordinators mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mentoring-coordinators
>

-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI